cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

De-Winterize then heat till depart OK?

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the advice from these topics, and have a question as we prep for spring break. Chicago has freezing temperatures right now but it's supposed to warm up by the time we leave town on the 24th. I was thinking to dewinterize a day or so before when it's warm, and then plug in and run the furnace, to keep the compartments and interior at 50 degrees till we leave home. This way the water shouldn't freeze by the time we leave town - is this too hypothetical, has anyone done this, or is it better for me to wait until we get into warmer weather before flushing the pink stuff? Thanks!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
14 REPLIES 14

ever1ast15
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Makes sense to me.
Regards,
JT

Mike_Leslie
Explorer
Explorer
We never drink the water from the holding tank. So we drink from a filled container.

At first after wanting to de-winterize, we do run some fresh water through the faucets, but use the water from a jug to (drink) and wash with at first. Then we know there is enough antifreeze in the holding tanks.

By the time we get where we are going, the pink stuff is usually gone.

Mike and Leslie
2003 Winnebago Minnie Class C 29B

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
ever1ast15 wrote:
Don't want to hijack this thread, but on the same topic. After you flush the pink stuff out of your RV, do you have to run bleach/water solution through to disinfect or can you just run clean water through several times and be OK to use the water?

Thanks James

clean water.

The "Pink Stuff" is non-toxic and usually contains propylene glycol. Which, if you've ever had Mountain Dew, doesn't taste too bad! ๐Ÿ˜‰

If your RV Antifreeze doesn't use propylene glycol, they'll use Ethanol. Which, if you've ever had (insert long list of libations) also doesn't taste too bad! ๐Ÿ™‚

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I generally sanitize in the spring. I suspect it's probably unnecessary, but it's easy enough and inexpensive enough to do that I see no reason for me to skip it.

I have learned that it's a wise idea to wear old clothes when sanitizing the motorhome.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flush it out really well. If you have access to an air tank you can use a blower to push most of it out then flush. Just make sure you feel good about it before drinking. (Typically we don't drink our RV tap water).
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ever1ast15 wrote:
Don't want to hijack this thread, but on the same topic. After you flush the pink stuff out of your RV, do you have to run bleach/water solution through to disinfect or can you just run clean water through several times and be OK to use the water?

Thanks James

I just flushed unless there was some reason to sanitize.
bumpy

ever1ast15
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks James
Regards,
JT

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the same position as wbwood - I use the link antifreeze and in potentially freezing temperatures I would start out with antifreeze in the pipes until convinced it will be warm enough overnight. Warm enough for us is -10 C or 15 F with the furnace running to blow warm air at the pipe under the floor. Also it is most annoying when a sink drain pipe elbow under the floor freezes and cracks - if you must drain water, chase it with antifreeze when below freezing.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
No problem with doing what your saying. Open the cabinet doors so the heat will get in them. But I would just leave it winterized until you get to your first stay and then dewinterize it. It doesn't take long to do. I've winterized and dewinterized 4 or 5 times this season. Thought we were good to go from our last trip (last weekend) until our next trip (this weekend), but we have several nights dipping to the low 20's. I normally would just plug in the electric heater, but it only takes one jug of antifreeze to winterize ours and 15 minutes (I don't blow the lines, I run antifreeze through them). The more you do it, the easier it gets.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Michigan and when we leave in colder weather and head for the warmer south I do what you're saying except have the water heater in by pass, so it does not fill. And try not to allow much to go into the black and gray tanks, use rest stops as much as possible. We try to leave as early as possible so we can as far south/warmer weather, as possible.
After spending 1 night on the road, I feel that it's safe to fill the water heater. And not worry about the waste tanks.

Dusty

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Party,

We are in the same condition, but my scheduled departure is 20.

It will be warm in the day Thursday and Friday here (Chicago can't be very different.) I can keep our coach comfortable with a 1500watt ceramic cube heater. So, Thursday, I am planning to take the coach out of the barn and run it enough so I can top off the coolant. (I had to drain it for a T'stat change.) Stop off at the local place I get LP and top that off. Then come home and fill the potable tank and check out that system. (No real reason, I'm just paranoid. Old and paranoid - the two go together.)

I may put it back in the barn, I also might not. The electric will keep it from damage to the mid 20s and then Monday I will pull up next to the house and we will load and go. I would like to start loading now, and we will some while I am putting water on, but that means trudging though the snow (3"). At least we kept the lights on.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Your plan is perfectly reasonable, assuming your RV is at least somewhat equipped for cold weather use (with enclosed plumbing etc.). You will burn through some propane, of course. It would be good to periodically (or continually) turn on the water heater as well as the furnace so that it stays above freezing. This isn't too hard to do since it's insulated and there's a lot of heat to lose to get from 140 degrees down to 32 degrees.

Keeping the RV somewhat warm also allows you to stock it with things like cleaning supplies and foodstuffs that should not be frozen, rather than having to do that all at the last moment.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drain it and blow it out. Carry some water inside for using to drink and flush. Or just fill her up and keep the heat on.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer