cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy tow a 2006 Lexus GX470

Monaco40-03
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2003 Monaco Dynasty 40ft Pusher and a 2006 Lexus GX 470 to Dinghy Tow behind the Motorhome. I have read several posts about the success of a few of your readers about doing this from several years ago. Is there anyone that is towing this car that could offer some insight. Thanks
Bill
8 REPLIES 8

jpark
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2007 Lexus GX470 and it is a GREAT tow car. I have towed it several times and it is perfect for this mission. I use the Roadmaster Stowmaster 501 with Blue Ox Patriot II brake system. I also built a custom light bar for the rear of the Lexus that attaches to the Lexus hitch receiver. The rear light bar is wired independent of the car brake system (I am not a fan of using the tow car lighting when in dingy use (old school).

It is a great set up that is safe and easy to use.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Monaco40-03 wrote:
I recently purchased a 2003 Monaco Dynasty 40ft Pusher and a 2006 Lexus GX 470 to Dinghy Tow behind the Motorhome. I have read several posts about the success of a few of your readers about doing this from several years ago. Is there anyone that is towing this car that could offer some insight. Thanks

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/lexus-gx470-looking-for-it-as-a-toad-321018-3.html

Logged Off has been towing for a while and will give insight if needed - yes it works.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

LoggedOff
Explorer
Explorer
Have an '06 GX470 and towed it 4-down for at least 40k miles with zero issues. Ran into another owner not long ago that had close to 200k miles on his plus another 50k as a toad. The Roadmaster base plate was a 90 minute job to install and the thing tows beautifully. I changed all the diff and transfer case fluids over to Amsoil Severe Gear oil and put a battery shut-off switch on it so I can leave the key in and on. Besides it being a great toad, we found out in Arizona and Nevada that the GX470 is no slouch offroad either!

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Your GX uses Toyota's VF4BM FULL time transfer case. Do not tow it 4 down even with the transfer case lever in Nuetral. You will damage the transfer case internals. If you must take it with you, get a car hauling trailer.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sure, go ahead. I mean what's the worst that could happen?
bumpy

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
The 2006 with manual TC linkage should be good for this. Toyota always will say no to flat towing. With the tranny in park and the TC in neutral there should be no mechanical link to the tranny.

You ca always test this by throwing 4 jackstands underneath and check to see what is spinning when tranny is in park and TC in neutral. That's a great vehicle, but I went the cheap route and bought an old Jeep Cherokee XJ.

Link to an old thread

Another thread
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
2006 GX470 Owners Manual

Page 405 of your owners manual states:

"Do not tow your vehicle with four wheels on the ground. This may cause serious damage to your vehicle."
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
read your owner's manual under either "towing behind a motorhome" or "recreational towing". that will cover steps needed, etc.
bumpy