cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash Cam on Class A

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a favorite dash cam for a Class A? It looks like many are tailored for a sloped car windshield or mirror, of which my Class A has neither.

I do have a 12V socket on the dash near the base of the windshield.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
34 REPLIES 34

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
another possibility is to use something called IIRC "popits" or some such that I am currently using in my vehicles to hold my radar detectors.
a small bracket sticks to the dash with a U shaped slot on top and a matching piece sticks to the bottom of the detector. some of the fittings can expand a bit and raise the device up 1/2-3/4 inch. I got mine at sam's club and I found them on the internet at a ridiculously high cost. I replaced the velcro chunks I was using as these work/look much better.
bumpy

that's a great idea, bumpy. i'll look into that. appreciate the lead.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
rk911 wrote:
ncrowley wrote:
I purchased the KDLinks X1 full XD dash cam with GPS. The suction cup mounts anywhere on the windshield. The connects can swivel so it can adapt to Amy windshield angle. It is very easy to use - just plug it in and it starts recording (you can stop it). The images are really good and you can see what you need to.

I'm considering the same purchase but want to mount it on the dash and not the windshield. does the mounting bracket adapt to that configuration or can it simply be mounted upside down?? are there any comparable dash cams that can actually be mounted to the dash??

I do not know a way to attach it to the dash but I do not think you would want to. You want the camera close to the windshield to get a good view. I have seen some that attach to the rear view mirror.

thanks, Nancy but on our class A the dash runs right up to the windshield. no rear view mirror.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
another possibility is to use something called IIRC "popits" or some such that I am currently using in my vehicles to hold my radar detectors.
a small bracket sticks to the dash with a U shaped slot on top and a matching piece sticks to the bottom of the detector. some of the fittings can expand a bit and raise the device up 1/2-3/4 inch. I got mine at sam's club and I found them on the internet at a ridiculously high cost. I replaced the velcro chunks I was using as these work/look much better.
bumpy

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
ncrowley wrote:
I purchased the KDLinks X1 full XD dash cam with GPS. The suction cup mounts anywhere on the windshield. The connects can swivel so it can adapt to Amy windshield angle. It is very easy to use - just plug it in and it starts recording (you can stop it). The images are really good and you can see what you need to.

I'm considering the same purchase but want to mount it on the dash and not the windshield. does the mounting bracket adapt to that configuration or can it simply be mounted upside down?? are there any comparable dash cams that can actually be mounted to the dash??

I do not know a way to attach it to the dash but I do not think you would want to. You want the camera close to the windshield to get a good view. I have seen some that attach to the rear view mirror.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
rk911 wrote:
ncrowley wrote:

I got a dash camera mount on amazon that clamps onto the rear view mirror bracket, comes with about 5 different fittings for various cameras. I still have two "permanent" circles on my windshield from when I was using the suction cup.
bumpy

thanks, bumpy. unfortunately no rear view mirror on our MH.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
ncrowley wrote:

I got a dash camera mount on amazon that clamps onto the rear view mirror bracket, comes with about 5 different fittings for various cameras. I still have two "permanent" circles on my windshield from when I was using the suction cup.
bumpy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
bumpy

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
fcooper wrote:
An update on the Cobra CDR 840 dash cam. I've been using them for 2 weeks, and am very happy. At $40, it has a lot of features. The cobra software for the PC allows you to see the picture from the dash cam on the left side of the screen with a google maps display of your location on the right side. Dash cam picture shows time/date/latitude/longitude. The google maps display has speed displayed.

I have no financial interest in this vendor, just a happy customer. Current ebay listing is at:

ebay-Cobra CDR 840

Fred

the one at that link has what looks to be a much smaller screen???
bumpy

The picture is a screenshot of the included software running on a PC and showing video downloaded from the dashcam, not of the camera screen itself.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
An update on the Cobra CDR 840 dash cam. I've been using them for 2 weeks, and am very happy. At $40, it has a lot of features. The cobra software for the PC allows you to see the picture from the dash cam on the left side of the screen with a google maps display of your location on the right side. Dash cam picture shows time/date/latitude/longitude. The google maps display has speed displayed.

I have no financial interest in this vendor, just a happy customer. Current ebay listing is at:

ebay-Cobra CDR 840

Fred

the one at that link has what looks to be a much smaller screen???
bumpy

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Cobra CDR 840 dash cam.
Have one in the car and one in the MH. No issue placing it on the windshield in the RV. The mount adjusts every which way. The software is updated fairly often (just updated mine for a trip) and the video presentation is really nice with the tie-in to Google Maps.

Just had an occasion to use it last week while driving the car. Someone cut in front of me in a turn lane and buggered up my front bumper. No big deal (other than $800 to fix it) but as soon as it happened, I just pushed the little orange button to make sure the video segment was locked and wouldn't be overwritten.

Then the "discussion" started. The guy was getting all excited about how it was my fault and I hit him etc, etc. Yeah, right up until my wife said sweetly ... "But we have you on the dash cam." That took care of it.
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer

ebay-Cobra CDR 840

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I like the pics on my Go Pro. I'd use it more if the software wasn't so difficult use.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

MrWizard
fcooper wrote:
Currently on ebay - refurbished cobra unit hi def with gps for $40. I've ordered a pair as I've been using two ultra cheap ones that will not hold a date/time. Link below:

goo.gl/VZNk4O

Fred

fixed link
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s