cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Compass 2017

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are considering getting back into RVing with the Thor Compass. We are looking for pros and cons from users to help us decide. Would appreciate any comments. If this request is inappropriate I will remove it as soon as I know.
Thank you.
Bob
14 REPLIES 14

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The floor plan I liked had a large acrylic skylight.
Owners were complaining about the skylight allowing too much heat build up, making the interior too hot to cool. The 13,500 did not handle it and people swapped it out for a 15k which helped very little.
The fix is in that design or opt for an additional a/c making the 50 amp upgrade not a cost effective option.
It was a rear slide model with no place to install a rear ladder to access the roof.
Some of those Thor products mentioned did not have the radio antenna connected and it was very difficult if not impossible to gain access to connect it once the unit was built . Some had to re-drill and install new.
That kind or lack of quality control is just not acceptable , so I cancelled my order and went with the Sunseeker of which in my case, im very happy.
The few issues I had were dealt with by the dealer and FR with very little down time and for me, that's the name of the game. Being able to actually use the RV that I purchased instead of seeing in parked at a dealership waiting for a fix. Been down that road for 3 to 6 months at a time...never again !

deedeenew
Explorer
Explorer
My intent is to purchase a Thor 23TB (Compass or Gemini) this fall. I am considering the 24TF only because it would be nicer to use when I have the grandkids. I like the diesel fuel economy on the 23TB and hope someone has a 24TF that can report the diesel consumption on trips. If little difference from 23TB then I may upgrade to the 24TF. What say you 24TF owners....what is your fuel economy on trips?

Mikekim3
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 2018 Thor Compass 24tf with a sprinter chassis and a full wall slide. I paid $72000. I actually wanted a renegade villagio or dynamx isata 3 or even coachman prism, but compass is at least 20k cheaper. And the reason i think im going to enjoy this one more than my 5 previous class b and c motorhomes is the low expectaions i have entering into this relationship. I cant be too mad when the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom is warped because it was cut too long.

I hated my 2016 winnebago era 170x because i paid 105k for it and the drawers fell apart like a motel 6 the first month. I question whether winnebago makes quality products anymore. My 2013 airstream interstate seemed so much better put together including invisible things like quality anti sway bars. Whats ironic is that airstream is a subsidiery of thor and yet night and day in quality.

Anyway, i recommend thor compass for anyone looking for a shorter c class without the ghetto over cab bed look of the usual c class.

You will also love the giant slide that is over 3 feet wide and 18 feet long. Thats extra 60 sqft of space almost.

Listen, i think most motorhomes sold in north america are poorly constructed. It doesnt matter what you buy. If you dont lower your expectations, you will be very disappointed. In that light, i am thoroughly enjoying my new compass made of compressed saw dust. It looks really good as long as i dont have my glasses on.

Mike
2018 thor compass 24tf
2016 roadtrek versatile 170
2016 winnebago era 170x
2015 winnebago view 24m
2006 winnebago view 23

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We looked at the Thor, the Winnie line and every other imaginable manufacturer we could find. We will pick up our new Phoenix Crusier 2100 in a couple of days. It was the best we felt fit OUR particular situation. Has everything we want, A Ford gas, 22 feet long, walk around bed, full time dinette, dry bath and more. Couldn't be happier!
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
There is basically no difference other than the graphics. I looked at Thor products this past weekend and after what I saw, wrote Thor off of my list. Glaring quality issues in the cab of all 4 Axis products I looked at. Brand new vehicles with paneling patched and not cut properly leaving big gaps between the edge of windows and the walls. I said to the salesman, "If they can send out a product from the factory with such obvious flaws, what the heck is hidden that the customer cannot see?" Quality control seemed to be absent. I am going back to Winnebago where I know they have quality control, use lasers to cut panel walls, and can be trusted. Don't get caught up with all of the smoke and mirrors, look for the quality of the build, make sure the walls are constructed of metal framing, not wood, seems are welded correctly, you have side access to the generator (not under the back of the vehicle like in the Compass), screws have not fallen out of cabinets etc. Take your time to inspect heavily.

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Will check out the Fuse. Thanks.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Did you consider the Winnebago Fuse?
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Saint Augustine wrote:
The Gemini and the Compass appear to be about the same machine. What is the difference? You purchased for $63,000. My dealer is asking $75,000. Comments please?
Bob

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28648762.cfm

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
The Gemini and the Compass appear to be about the same machine. What is the difference? You purchased for $63,000. My dealer is asking $75,000. Comments please?
Bob

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Gemini three weeks ago. We bought it for traveling, myself and my wife. Wont be towing a toad or camping for long periods. If I settle somewhere for a week I will rent a small car. We wanted something with a bathroom, sleeping area and galley large enough for a couple days provisions. I agree the Thor is entry class but at 63,000 I think it's a good buy. Besides that I am a diesel freak. With mileage reports anywhere from 15.5 to 20 it's a clear choice for me. They are not for everyone but I think it will fit our needs.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went to an open house at a large RV dealer just a couple of days ago. This {nationwide}, dealer carries the full line of Thor products. After looking at several of their small Class C's the kindest thing I can say is that they are definitely an "entry level" product.

If "entry level" is all your budget permits I would suggest looking for a higher quality used product instead of a new Thor.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

:C

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
samven1 wrote:
I dont own one so I can not give you the Pro's but I did look at them and the one thing that worried me was the low GVWR of just over 10k lbs on the Transit chassis. With a slide and being full of gas and half a tank of water and 2 people you might be very close to the weight limit. Even if the total is below the limit the rear axle will almost certainly be over. Dont let a salesman tell you it will be fine, take one for a test drive and stop at a truck stop and get a weight. Then you have a real world starting point for adding water, cargo, and fuel if its not full.

Like I said. No CCC. You, wife, pup, three t-shirts, box of Cheerios.

Done.

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
I dont own one so I can not give you the Pro's but I did look at them and the one thing that worried me was the low GVWR of just over 10k lbs on the Transit chassis. With a slide and being full of gas and half a tank of water and 2 people you might be very close to the weight limit. Even if the total is below the limit the rear axle will almost certainly be over. Dont let a salesman tell you it will be fine, take one for a test drive and stop at a truck stop and get a weight. Then you have a real world starting point for adding water, cargo, and fuel if its not full.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the Compass before buying our signature rig. We liked a lot of things about it but for us it wouldn't work.

1 - Didn't want the Mercedes. We live in the hills (pacific northwest) and the small diesel V6 didn't do as well in the hills/winds as we expected. Didn't want to have to rely on it as primary transportation on the road, and it is weak for towing a toad.

2 - A servicing Mercedes dealer was a couple of hours away.

3 - Gas engine was cheaper and easier to maintain, not to mention more powerful.

4 - No cargo carrying capacity, and unless you get the twin bunks model there is nowhere to put anything. We average 160 days a year - the Compass/Synergy was too small.

Don't know what your budget is, but we paid $104K out the door for our rig with an 8 year warranty. Winnebago quality trumps Thor handily I'm sorry to say. Ours has every option except on-demand hot water (didn't want it) and roof solar panel (we'll have a portable).

Plus it has 2600 pounds of cargo carrying capacity, a huge trunk, and can tow a car.

Don't know what your intent for the Thor was - weekends, whatever.

We liked it but it wasn't for us.