Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Thor Compass 2017
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> Thor Compass 2017

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Saint Augustine

Saint Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/17 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are considering getting back into RVing with the Thor Compass. We are looking for pros and cons from users to help us decide. Would appreciate any comments. If this request is inappropriate I will remove it as soon as I know.
Thank you.
Bob

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/17 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at the Compass before buying our signature rig. We liked a lot of things about it but for us it wouldn't work.

1 - Didn't want the Mercedes. We live in the hills (pacific northwest) and the small diesel V6 didn't do as well in the hills/winds as we expected. Didn't want to have to rely on it as primary transportation on the road, and it is weak for towing a toad.

2 - A servicing Mercedes dealer was a couple of hours away.

3 - Gas engine was cheaper and easier to maintain, not to mention more powerful.

4 - No cargo carrying capacity, and unless you get the twin bunks model there is nowhere to put anything. We average 160 days a year - the Compass/Synergy was too small.

Don't know what your budget is, but we paid $104K out the door for our rig with an 8 year warranty. Winnebago quality trumps Thor handily I'm sorry to say. Ours has every option except on-demand hot water (didn't want it) and roof solar panel (we'll have a portable).

Plus it has 2600 pounds of cargo carrying capacity, a huge trunk, and can tow a car.

Don't know what your intent for the Thor was - weekends, whatever.

We liked it but it wasn't for us.

2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Photos

samven1

Hedgesville, WV usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/17 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont own one so I can not give you the Pro's but I did look at them and the one thing that worried me was the low GVWR of just over 10k lbs on the Transit chassis. With a slide and being full of gas and half a tank of water and 2 people you might be very close to the weight limit. Even if the total is below the limit the rear axle will almost certainly be over. Dont let a salesman tell you it will be fine, take one for a test drive and stop at a truck stop and get a weight. Then you have a real world starting point for adding water, cargo, and fuel if its not full.

Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/17 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

samven1 wrote:

I dont own one so I can not give you the Pro's but I did look at them and the one thing that worried me was the low GVWR of just over 10k lbs on the Transit chassis. With a slide and being full of gas and half a tank of water and 2 people you might be very close to the weight limit. Even if the total is below the limit the rear axle will almost certainly be over. Dont let a salesman tell you it will be fine, take one for a test drive and stop at a truck stop and get a weight. Then you have a real world starting point for adding water, cargo, and fuel if its not full.

Like I said. No CCC. You, wife, pup, three t-shirts, box of Cheerios.

Done.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/17 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to an open house at a large RV dealer just a couple of days ago. This {nationwide}, dealer carries the full line of Thor products. After looking at several of their small Class C's the kindest thing I can say is that they are definitely an "entry level" product.

If "entry level" is all your budget permits I would suggest looking for a higher quality used product instead of a new Thor.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

[emoticon]

mountainsam

Plumas Lake, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/17 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought the Gemini three weeks ago. We bought it for traveling, myself and my wife. Wont be towing a toad or camping for long periods. If I settle somewhere for a week I will rent a small car. We wanted something with a bathroom, sleeping area and galley large enough for a couple days provisions. I agree the Thor is entry class but at 63,000 I think it's a good buy. Besides that I am a diesel freak. With mileage reports anywhere from 15.5 to 20 it's a clear choice for me. They are not for everyone but I think it will fit our needs.

2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

Saint Augustine

Saint Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/17 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Gemini and the Compass appear to be about the same machine. What is the difference? You purchased for $63,000. My dealer is asking $75,000. Comments please?
Bob

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/17 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saint Augustine wrote:

The Gemini and the Compass appear to be about the same machine. What is the difference? You purchased for $63,000. My dealer is asking $75,000. Comments please?
Bob

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28648762.cfm

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/17 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you consider the Winnebago Fuse?

Saint Augustine

Saint Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/17 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will check out the Fuse. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> Thor Compass 2017
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS