cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on hauling adult tricycle

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Do to illness I have acquired an adult tricycle to ride while camping. It is a folding model where the frame folds the front wheel back alongside the frame and between the rear tire.

I have not tried yet but I imagine it might be a little difficult to put the trike inside the RV for transport. Also I'm not sure if it will fit in the back of my truck in front of the hitch without causing an issue. I do have an 8 foot bed.

I do not have a hitch receiver on the back of my 5th wheel to add a cargo tray.

If anyone else has encountered this situation how did you resolve it?

To further muddy the waters my wife who never rode a bike in her entire life wants a trike of her own now once she saw the trike!

Any advice is appreciated!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
18 REPLIES 18

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
DPGLLG,I just added a front receiver hitch to my f350 last month. Purchased it from Etrailer for $135.00 and I use a bike rack on the front of the truck which works great. Granted the one caution is that it increases the length of the TV. Harbor Freight sells an aluminum cargo rack with a ramp with a weight capacity of 500lps for about $158.00 that measures 47"x 27 5/8" that maybe you can squeeze the two bikes into. This would be a lot easier then trying to get the bikes into the trailer or truck bed.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Simple solution is to put a sticker on the back, right above the receiver, saying "NOT TO BE USED FOR TOWING"
Lyle

Or if the cargo rack was mounted on two outboard receivers or perhaps an odd sized tubing?

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
RedRocket204 wrote:
OP,

There are multiple fold-up tricycles listed on Amazon that give the fold up dimensions. Since you have an 8 ft bed, you may be able to just load two trikes in the front of your truck bed and not have it interfere with trailer movement. May be worth looking up your specific bike's fold-up dimensions and roughly measuring it out in the back of your truck. Then do a test run without moving the truck, etc.

Here's an example of one since you don't have the specific brand/model listed: Amazon - Worksman Port-o-Trike Three Speed Adult Tricycle Blue

Measures 30 by 31 by 29 inches (W x H x D) folded

Also, that is not something you are going to want to lift up to a roof mounted bike carrier since shipping weight on that linked bike is 70lbs, expect the actual weight around 60lbs +.

Thank you so much for the response unbelievably you selected the one trike that I bought! I now know the weight and folded size so I can see what room I have to work with inside the RV and in my truck bed.

That is too funny about having identified your exact trike. I promise I'm not stalking you and maybe I should go "invest" in a lottery ticket today ๐Ÿ˜‰
I love me some land yachting

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Too bad that the local welders have so little confidence it their work. Simple solution is to put a sticker on the back, right above the receiver, saying "NOT TO BE USED FOR TOWING", or even paint it right on the coach. I know that my guy and I discussed this. =He= wanted to build a hitch-quality receiver and I flat-out told him that I didn't want it for that purpose, only for a bike rack and/or cargo rack. I know that when I sell my FW, there will be a statement on the BOS, that the buyer will acknowledge in writing, stating that the receiver is only for cargo < 300 lbs and not for towing.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
OP,

There are multiple fold-up tricycles listed on Amazon that give the fold up dimensions. Since you have an 8 ft bed, you may be able to just load two trikes in the front of your truck bed and not have it interfere with trailer movement. May be worth looking up your specific bike's fold-up dimensions and roughly measuring it out in the back of your truck. Then do a test run without moving the truck, etc.

Here's an example of one since you don't have the specific brand/model listed: Amazon - Worksman Port-o-Trike Three Speed Adult Tricycle Blue

Also, that is not something you are going to want to lift up to a roof mounted bike carrier since shipping weight on that linked bike is 70lbs, expect the actual weight around 60lbs +.

Thank you so much for the response unbelievably you selected the one trike that I bought! I now know the weight and folded size so I can see what room I have to work with inside the RV and in my truck bed.

laknox wrote:
dpgllg wrote:
Do to illness I have acquired an adult tricycle to ride while camping. It is a folding model where the frame folds the front wheel back alongside the frame and between the rear tire.

I have not tried yet but I imagine it might be a little difficult to put the trike inside the RV for transport. Also I'm not sure if it will fit in the back of my truck in front of the hitch without causing an issue. I do have an 8 foot bed.

To further muddy the waters my wife who never rode a bike in her entire life wants a trike of her own now once she saw the trike!

Dave

Were I in your shoes, I'd find a =good= trailer/welding shop and simply have them replace your rear bumper with heavier gauge steel and add a 2" receiver on it. Get a basic $100 cargo rack from Harbor Freight or Walmart and load 'em up. I had this done on my FW and my welder said it would carry 300 lbs, no problem. Only loss was the bumper tube was just enough smaller ID that the stinky hoses would no longer fit, which was not an issue since I never carried them there anyway. My welder was also able to drill out the pop rivets holding the outer decorative sleeve and reuse it on the new bumper, so it still looks great. Just notched it to fit over the receiver.

After thinking about this for a couple minutes, I remembered seeing cargo racks with a ramp on one end. Just roll your trikes up and strap 'em down. Worst case, have the shop modding your bumper build you a nice aluminum rack. Save a bit of weight hanging from the bumper that way.

Lyle

I started to look into this but none of the local hitch or RV shops want to perform the work for liability issues. They stated putting a receiver on the back would potentially allow me to attach a trailer which my 5th wheel would not support. I can keep looking to find someone. This applies to all the other responses regarding putting a cargo rack etc. on the back of my 5th wheel.

GMH wrote:
I like Lyle and Roy's ideas. You could also maybe look at switching to a toy hauler type 5th. Then you could just lower he ramp and ride out!

If I could I would pursue a new 5th wheel but due to my disability my income has been significantly reduced. A new 5th wheel is definitely not an option at this time.

SanMarMor wrote:
If you have an 8' bed, you shouldn't have trouble with it being in front of your hitch. I carry two standard bikes in front of my hitch in the bed, along with other items. That's assuming getting the trike in and out of the bed isn't an issue for you. It also wouldn't be real easy maneuvering over the hitch to get to the front of the bed. But there should be plenty of room.

Mark

The only concerns I have is getting the bikes over the hitch. My wife and I can lift them onto the back of the truck but getting it over the hitch might be a real problem. I will look at this to see what it would take.

dpgllg wrote:
the bear II wrote:
I would measure the door opening of the 5th wheel to see if the trike will fit through the door upright or on it's side. If it will fit then I would get a heavy moving blanket, lay it on the floor and put the trike in the 5th wheel. Place some large empty boxes to brace against the trike and a wall or other solid surface to hold it in place if you don't have a way to secure the trike with straps or rope. I've carried a mobility scooter and wheelchairs this way in our 5th wheel.

Now that I know the exact size of the trike folded I will definitely look into this approach. I like the idea of the moving blanket and empty boxes as well.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED!

If anyone has other ideas please keep them coming. We have a trip scheduled April 26th and it would be great to take the trike.

Dave

Message got truncated

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
I would measure the door opening of the 5th wheel to see if the trike will fit through the door upright or on it's side. If it will fit then I would get a heavy moving blanket, lay it on the floor and put the trike in the 5th wheel. Place some large empty boxes to brace against the trike and a wall or other solid surface to hold it in place if you don't have a way to secure the trike with straps or rope. I've carried a mobility scooter and wheelchairs this way in our 5th wheel.

Now that I know the exact size of the trike folded I will definitely look into this approach. I like the idea of the moving blanket and empty boxes as well.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED!

If anyone has other ideas please keep them coming. We have a trip scheduled April 26th and it would be great to take the trike.

Dave

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an 8' bed, you shouldn't have trouble with it being in front of your hitch. I carry two standard bikes in front of my hitch in the bed, along with other items. That's assuming getting the trike in and out of the bed isn't an issue for you. It also wouldn't be real easy maneuvering over the hitch to get to the front of the bed. But there should be plenty of room.

Mark
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:

Dave

If it were me, I'd look into having that bumper hitch receiver to add that cargo tray. Might cost a little, but seems like the best answer to your situation. Everything else it seems requires too much muscle power, or trying to put stuff inside the trailer, which will surely damage things.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RoyB wrote:
Perhaps something like the IDAHO TOTE DOLLY HAULER that attaches to the rear bumper of the RV trailer. This is not considered a trailer and has swivel wheels under it. It is a extended platform attached to your RV...

Google Image

These are primarily used for heavy item like golf carts or motorcycles etc but would definitely haul your Adult Tricycles...

I think these are legal in all states - perhaps check with your local State DOT folks...

This would be costly thing to do to solve the problem haha...

Roy Ken

Problem is, that many states still consider a swivel-wheel tote a "trailer" and using one as double-towing, which they don't permit.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I like Lyle and Roy's ideas. You could also maybe look at switching to a toy hauler type 5th. Then you could just lower he ramp and ride out!

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Investigate Hollywood racks. I have one for DW's trike and my standard bike. They have a wide variety of configurations. You can see some of them on Amazon, but I found ordering there confusing. My local bike shop got me set up with the proper pieces and I got delivery the next day. Oh, and mine fits in the tow receiver.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps something like the IDAHO TOTE DOLLY HAULER that attaches to the rear bumper of the RV trailer. This is not considered a trailer and has swivel wheels under it. It is a extended platform attached to your RV...

Google Image

These are primarily used for heavy item like golf carts or motorcycles etc but would definitely haul your Adult Tricycles...

I think these are legal in all states - perhaps check with your local State DOT folks...

This would be costly thing to do to solve the problem haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
OP,

I love me some land yachting

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dpgllg wrote:

Dave

Were I in your shoes, I'd find a =good= trailer/welding shop and simply have them replace your rear bumper with heavier gauge steel and add a 2" receiver on it. Get a basic $100 cargo rack from Harbor Freight or Walmart and load 'em up. I had this done on my FW and my welder said it would carry 300 lbs, no problem. Only loss was the bumper tube was just enough smaller ID that the stinky hoses would no longer fit, which was not an issue since I never carried them there anyway. My welder was also able to drill out the pop rivets holding the outer decorative sleeve and reuse it on the new bumper, so it still looks great. Just notched it to fit over the receiver.

After thinking about this for a couple minutes, I remembered seeing cargo racks with a ramp on one end. Just roll your trikes up and strap 'em down. Worst case, have the shop modding your bumper build you a nice aluminum rack. Save a bit of weight hanging from the bumper that way.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A