Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roll Call Alaska 2018
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 54  
Prev  |  Next
JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SC Bradley wrote:

Janet add me to the list, even though live in Alaska and travel the highway at least twice a year.
SC Bradley Alaska plate (BER CAV) LTV Unity we’ll be starting for home from Ocala, Fl April 25, crossing the border at Sumas May 25. We take a different route every year but prefer the Cassiar, most scenic. We’ll spend a week heading North, weather chooses or route from Prince George (Cassiar or Dawson Cr.). For those wondering about rd conditions count on frost heaves I’ll post once I get to Tok (First week of June) with a rd report. We are never on a tight schedule or route, if weather is nice a side trip to Dawson City is always in the works at least every couple of years. We’ll be home all summer in Alaska traveling, end of July first part September we’ll be heading to Stewart/ Hyder bear viewing. Anyone having questions, things to do in S central Alaska, Yukon hikes activities I have list I made up for some friends I will share Private Message me. Be sure to check out Sue Thomas web site great pics and advice.

Thank you so much. I am sure I speak for most Alaska bound travelers, but road reports would be great.

Janet

Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

IrishSettler

Dallas, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just joined RV.NET. I will be leaving the third week in August from Dallas, PA. Headed for Denali. Glad to see I am not the only one who thought I was planing early. Please add me to the list!

* This post was edited 02/03/18 12:42pm by IrishSettler *

SC Bradley

Anchorage

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Irishsettler wrote:

Just joined RV.NET. I will be leaving the third week in August from Dallas, PA. Headed for Denali. Glad to see I am not the only one who thought I was planing early. Please add me to the list!

3rd week of August is pretty late. Last year Denali rd lottery was September 15-19 the park is usually closed shortly there after. On the way up the highway the RV parks will still be operating but depending on how long you stay in Alaska they will be shutting down.

IrishSettler

Dallas, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the information about the closing dates. I expect to take 7 days to travel from
Dallas, PA to Dinali (4,200 miles). I should arrive in late August. I hope to learn more as the summer approaches.
Thanks again.

sljohnson1938

Mount Airy, NC - USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

600 miles a day, that is a bunch. wx should be ok then. good luck.
only bad road part is from Whitehorse Yukon to Tok, before and after that the roads should be good.

1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

AlaskaShooter

Twisp, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect this is your 1st adventure through Canada to Alaska. You'll have no problem getting to Canada at 600 miles per day but once you hit northern BC and all of the Yukon you will spend the better part of 24 hrs a day to cover 600 miles per day. Between Frost Heaves, constructions zones with crappy roads and long delays you better leave at the crack of dawn and plan on driving till dark, noting night driving is not in my wheel house with the many animals, moose, bison, goats/sheep, caribou etc that hang out on the highway, especially at night.

Having lived in Alaska for 25+ years and transiting the Alaska Hwy dozens of times by the time you head south you will experience snow on your way home in September in places.

Just like RV'ers who leave too early each spring because it's spring in the Lower 48 they end up stalling out on the trip north because it's still winter up north. Most RV parks don't open till Spring arrives up north which changes from year to year. Same with fall closures. When the snow and cold arrives they shut down, provincial and private parks.

Good luck.

2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

JesLookin

Appleton,WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Janet. Please add us to the list.
Jeslookin.... Wisconsin.... John & LuAnn
Thanks for keeping this organized.

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roll Call Alaska 2018.....so far and our list just keeps growing. Welcome everyone !! [emoticon]

janetrupp..... Arizona.....Janet & Gary
badiamond.....Arizona.....Barbara & Pat & Koko
memtb.....Wyoming.....Todd & Marianne
rag-ftw.....Texas.....
Lwiddis.....California.....
Veebyes.....Bermuda/Maryland.....
Acampingwewillgo.....USA
bob nestor.....Texas
pirlbeck.....Iowa....
missnmountains.....Florida
bobkatmsu.....Florida
CA Traveler.....Arizona.....Diane & Bob
Williebago.....Kansas.....
Socalal.....California.....
c.traveler2.....California
caseyhoward.....Texas
Keyspirate.....TN & Florida
jnharley.....US
bobkatmsa.....Florida
Stickdog.....Texas
jacketsbum.....Ohio
fuzzyface.....Michigan
Just Lee.....California
danrclem.....Kentucky
Bizmarks Mom.....Idaho
n2light.....
Two Hands.....California
Mrcatahoula.....Florida
Pops.....North Carolina
Island Time.....Texas
Cbigham.....California
Want-to-travel.....So. California
Mrbarkley.....Kentucky
imamech2.....Texas
Texas Roadrunners.....Texas
Bdokatmsu.......Florida
Tgdakota.......Florida
jmckelvy.....Alabama
Fluidone.....Florida
Sheltie......California
Mabynack.....Florida
Pops49.....Nova Scotia
Discovery40X.....Texas
SC Bradley.....Alaska
Irishsettler.....Pennnsylvania
Jeslookin.....Wisconsin

Welcome to our new Alaska travel buddies !
Again don't forget to read up on the sticky at the front of the forum and don't forget your signs, so we can find you

We are really going to have a great group going this year. Don't forget to make your signs so we can spot each other. Basically last time I just took some poster board from the dollar store and placed a few pictures and the words "Roll Call 2018". You can also post your name and CC name. Some (last time) placed it in their tow car window and some placed it in their MH window. We met some wonderful people. Usually we would meet up in the campgrounds and the sign helped us to spot each of us.

Janet

* This post was edited 02/07/18 11:29am by JANETRUPP *

IrishSettler

Dallas, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/18 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for the advice concerning my plan to drive 4,200 miles in seven days on my first trip to Danali. It sounds like I had better wait for my copy of Milepost 2018 and allow more driving time to travel through the Northwest. I am planning to spend at least 35 to 40 days on this trip. I'll keep posting my plans during the next couple of months and perhaps you fellow members of "Roll Call Alaska 2018" can give me advice on what is feasible.
Thanks again,

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/18 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent 80 days on our Alaska trip, but only because the weather cooperated the entire summer. We had only three rainy days on our entire trip, so were able to cut nearly two weeks out of our original schedule. We had planned for considerably more "inside the trailer" and "indoor museum" days than we needed. But, admittedly, we did drive 10,000 miles on the trip.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 54  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS