Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roll Call Alaska 2018
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 44  
Prev  |  Next
IrishSettler

Dallas, Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sue T.
Thanks for the "Circle" information. Enjoyed the pictures!

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I'm traveling around the Anchorage area in August I'm going to keep my eye out for the signs, even though I won't be in a MH. Not sure what I'll be driving as it will be a rental but if some New England Yankee comes up to you and says hi it will probably be me!

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Irishsettler wrote:

Sue T.
Thanks for the "Circle" information. Enjoyed the pictures!

Of the many more-than-competent photographers and trip documenters on this site, I think Sue's info is just about the best at capturing the beauty of this part of the world.

My $0.02 on the route from Tok would be to go Tok-Delta-Fairbanks-Cantwell-Paxson-Glennallen->>-Anchorage->>-Glennallen-Tok etc. This presumes you are willing to take the Denali Highway between Cantwell & Paxson...one of the more scenic drives in AK (IMNSHO) but rough and with limited services in-between.

My particular view is that the drive pn the Parks Highway from Anchorage to Cantwell is, although scenic, the least scenic leg on the Alaska road system; unless one is simply trying to cover the Anchorage- Fairbanks leg as fast as possible, I'd suggest the old road.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Jack N Coke

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading North from Yakima, Washington May 14, 2018 (hopefully). First trip to Alaska in our RV. (3 times cruising). Would love to join this group and meet some fellow travelers. Thank you Janet.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR

Hope your reference to Anchorage included the Kenai Peninsula. We really enjoyed Gridwood, Homer, Seward and Whitter. We tried to stay at the Hope CG but arrived to find the town was closed due to a wedding – Welcome to Alaska!

We also tried to camp along the Kenai river. But with the salmon running and fishermen every 6’ on both banks (for those that don’t know this is not an exaggeration) no luck. We experienced the 30’ tide – another non exaggeration.

But high on our list was the often passed by Deep Creek Beach. Yes the unique boat launching was entertaining but watching the eagles soar for hours was great. And adding coal collected from the river to our CG fire and still going strong the next afternoon – a first for us.

But top of the list was the nearly extinct Wood Buffalo story at the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center. Some have since been released into their natural habits in Alaska as the center continues it's work.

And so so much we didn’t see…

And thanks for your (and many others) informative posts over the years. MUCH appreciated to All.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW More than one Alaskan told me they wanted to split the state in two so that Texas would be the third largest state! [emoticon]

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

PA12DRVR

Hope your reference to Anchorage included the Kenai Peninsula. We really enjoyed Gridwood, Homer, Seward and Whitter. We tried to stay at the Hope CG but arrived to find the town was closed due to a wedding – Welcome to Alaska!

We also tried to camp along the Kenai river. But with the salmon running and fishermen every 6’ on both banks (for those that don’t know this is not an exaggeration) no luck. We experienced the 30’ tide – another non exaggeration.

But high on our list was the often passed by Deep Creek Beach. Yes the unique boat launching was entertaining but watching the eagles soar for hours was great. And adding coal collected from the river to our CG fire and still going strong the next afternoon – a first for us.

But top of the list was the nearly extinct Wood Buffalo story at the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center. Some have since been released into their natural habits in Alaska as the center continues it's work.

And so so much we didn’t see…

And thanks for your (and many others) informative posts over the years. MUCH appreciated to All.

Well said my friend. We need a "like" button on here, lol

Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roll Call Alaska 2018.....so far and our list just keeps growing. Welcome everyone !!

janetrupp..... Arizona.....Janet & Gary
badiamond.....Arizona.....Barbara & Pat & Koko
memtb.....Wyoming.....Todd & Marianne
rag-ftw.....Texas.....
Lwiddis.....California.....
Veebyes.....Bermuda/Maryland.....
Acampingwewillgo.....USA
bob nestor.....Texas
pirlbeck.....Iowa....
missnmountains.....Florida
bobkatmsu.....Florida
CA Traveler.....Arizona.....Diane & Bob
Williebago.....Kansas.....
Socalal.....California.....
c.traveler2.....California
caseyhoward.....Texas
Keyspirate.....TN & Florida
jnharley.....US
bobkatmsa.....Florida
Stickdog.....Texas
jacketsbum.....Ohio
fuzzyface.....Michigan
Just Lee.....California
danrclem.....Kentucky
Bizmarks Mom.....Idaho
n2light.....
Two Hands.....California
Mrcatahoula.....Florida
Pops.....North Carolina
Island Time.....Texas
Cbigham.....California
Want-to-travel.....So. California
Mrbarkley.....Kentucky
imamech2.....Texas
Texas Roadrunners.....Texas
Bdokatmsu.......Florida
Tgdakota.......Florida
jmckelvy.....Alabama
Fluidone.....Florida
Sheltie......California
Mabynack.....Florida
Pops49.....Nova Scotia
Discovery40X.....Texas
SC Bradley.....Alaska
Irishsettler.....Pennnsylvania
Jeslookin.....Wisconsin
GeeWillakers.....Victoria,BC
SanAntonioRoads.....Texas
Crowe.......Massachusetts
Jack N Coke......Washington

Welcome to our new Alaska travel buddies !
Again don't forget to read up on the sticky at the front of the forum and don't forget your signs, so we can find you

We are really going to have a great group going this year. Don't forget to make your signs so we can spot each other. Basically last time I just took some poster board from the dollar store and placed a few pictures and the words "Roll Call 2018". You can also post your name and CC name. Some (last time) placed it in their tow car window and some placed it in their MH window. We met some wonderful people. Usually we would meet up in the campgrounds and the sign helped us to spot each of us.

Janet

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only in Alaska!

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/18 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

PA12DRVR

......But high on our list was the often passed by Deep Creek Beach. Yes the unique boat launching was entertaining but watching the eagles soar for hours was great. .......

You can also watch both the "unique boat launching" and eagles a little further down the coast at Anchor Point Rec Area and also visit the Westernmost point you can drive to in the Western Hemisphere. There is a campground there also. Eagles all over the place.

06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 44  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS