Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roll Call Alaska 2018
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 54  
Prev  |  Next
PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/18 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I would recommend 4 wheel drive, depending on where you go and weather conditions.".....and if you're a determined 4-wheeler, chains will help you get further in before coming to your senses, realizing you shouldn't have left the hard surface road, and concurrently realizing that you're pretty badly stuck.

Don't ask me how I know.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Tee Jay

The Peninsula, Kenai & Olympic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/18 11:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR
Too funny, and too true. Stay on the road, them trails can be bottomless mud pits.

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/18 01:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because the Alaska Highway is all paved for the most part with the exception of road resurfacing and construction areas, that still does not mean muskeg no longer exists either....

In 2016 where central BC got their record horrible rainfall....I seen a friendly reminder of what muskeg and deep mud can do to a monster 4wd truck right off the Alaska Highway along the frontage road right square in the middle of Ft. St. John....

Stuck with no tires and axles visible was this hi lift monster truck in plain sight...

One hundred feet in front of it was this 4wd wrecker with a winch cable attached to the monster truck - which was now stuck as you barely seen the top of the tires sticking out of the mud...

Another few feet away from it was this semi wrecker stuck to its gills sitting there near the stuck 4wd wrecker...

Now I know what the purpose was of that excavator on a low boy trailer marked 'oversize' that I passed by sitting there on the Taylor Grade turnout, yeah the semi with the flashing yellow beacon light that has the big red and white square D underneath it...

After I put two and two together - all I was thinking was only one more option is left if the excavator doesn't work out...that would have to be a crane of some sort !

Usually stuck vehicles in interior Alaska like this would happen during springtime or early summer - but there in Ft. St. John, this was during September.

Yes I am guilty too for getting dumb muskeg stuck on three occasions in Alaska, but at least I never got stupid stuck or ignorant stuck like some of my other friends did.

1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (148K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

kcfissel

Greenville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I gotta ask, What is "muskeg"?

noun: an acidic soil type common in Arctic and boreal areas, a North American swamp or bog consisting of a mixture of water and partly dead vegetation, frequently covered by a layer of sphagnum or other mosses.

A bit of a Google search found the answer to my question. DUH!

* This post was edited 06/10/18 06:59am by kcfissel *

Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…

AlaskaShooter

Twisp, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotta love Muskeg. When I worked as helo Mgr. for the feds out of Ketchikan, AK we would fly employees into muskeg landing LZ's to drop them of to work for the day. I would assist them in exiting the aircraft with their day packs, survival gear and work equipment. We would generally stay at flight idle to keep the helo light on its skids in the mucky marsh like LZ. Passengers would march off out from under the helos rotor disc and safe but from time to time my passengers would disappear up to their arm pits in the stinky muskeg goo. I would drag them out and back to the helo and return them to their pick up LZ to go get a change into dry clothing. Nobody wants to spend their entire work day in soaked, stinky clothes in SE Alaska. cool, wet climate.

Toto on the Road

Full Time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is Mike and Paige Caldwell - we are new to the forum. Just learned about it from Ken of missnmountains. We have a 40' Tiffin and we tow a Jeep Wrangler. WE LOVE 4 WHEELING. We spent the month of April in Moab doing everything Jeep. We left Park City on May 18th and went through the border in Sweet Grass (one word or two, seen it both ways). Up the Alcan, but took a left turn to Skagway and the ferry to Haines (should have seen me backing the rig onto the small ferry at the dock in Skagway). Haines was fun. Got to Tok and took another left turn to Valdez. Took a side trip to McCarthy and Kennecott around June 6 (no, not in the MH). That was interesting. Can't imagine that bridge without guardrails. More than that, can't imagine building that bridge in the middle of the winter. Now in Palmer heading Thursday to Anchorage.

Mike & Paige Caldwell
2008 Tiffin Phaeton & 2016 Jeep Wrangler
"Toto and the Toad"

Toto on the Road

Full Time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, see somebody out there that misses their true RV, a PA-12. We miss two old RVs, our PA-32 and our PDQ 34. We have been half time in our land RV since 2014 splitting our time between the boat (PDQ 34) and the MH.
So many toys, so little time.

Toto on the Road

Full Time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/18 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We hear the crime problem is very serious in Anchorage. Anybody have a comment? We plan on doing all the reasonable stuff, locking everything and not leaving anything in the car wherever we go. Should we get more serious than that?

fanrgs

Mile High City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/18 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guess my comment would be, define"crime problem". Have you ever been to the largest city in any of the Lower 48 states? Is Anchorage any more crime-ridden than any of them? Probably not, so just take the same precautions you would in Denver, Phoenix, or Seattle.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel

missnmountains

Southwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/18 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have updated our Blog with a couple new posts.

We have yet to meet any of the Roll Call Alaska 2018 travelers. Where are you all?

We are at Big Bear until the 29th except for three days starting the 18th to go up to Denali.

On the 29th we head down to Homer for three weeks.

Hopefully we will catch up to some of you.

Ken

2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 54  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Roll Call Alaska 2018
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS