cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Change on the road

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
While not a newb to RVing (many years), our upcoming trip will be our first of extended length.
Having been heavy equip mechanic for some years in the past, I do most of my own maintenance.
Now, I will be more than an oil change away from home and was wondering where others get their oil changed on the road.
With a class A, I'm guessing a truck shop of some sort.
Who do you look for? How does one go about finding reputable service on the road?

Not a beginner, but this might be considered a beginner question to those of you with experience.

Thanks in advance
53 REPLIES 53

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Chevy truck! Chevy Dealer!

Thanks for your valuable contribution.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy truck! Chevy Dealer!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

soren
Explorer
Explorer
JDsdogs wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
gafidler wrote:
Go to walmart buy disposal oil drain pan about $6, buy oil and filter, lift MH on jacks/levers, drain oil , take pan back to walmart.

That's the ticket.....yeah boy

They will accept your used oil and pan?

The rig is an Ford F53 chassis and if you have ever changed oil on one, you know that the oil pan plug and filter drain directly over the front axle, making a mess if you don't build some sort of flow diverter to direct the draining oil. Just plain messy. A petcock for the pan is fine but it does not help with the filter mess.
I was under the impression that most RV parks frowned on doing maintenance on their grounds.

Also, I pull a Toad which puts added strain on the engine, which has about 50,000 mi on it.
I was thinking changing at 5,000 mi.

Thanks again all.

I have done oil changes on my Ford F53 chassis at least 5-6 times on the road and have developed a process that doesn't spill a drop. First step is a trip to Walmart for a five qt. and one qt. container of Motorcraft semi-syn oil, a Motorcraft filter, and a $0.88 disposable tinfoil roasting pan. Onboard, I have a six quart drain pan, a standard funnel and a filter wrench. I use a utility knife to cut a 3/4" hole in one corner of the bottom of the tin pan and place it above the front axle and steering link. You will find that this allows the pan to sit at a nice angle, tilting forward and fully supported. I then pull the plug, and let the oil splash into the pan, which acts as a giant funnel that drains into my plastic drain pan. Next I pull the filter. After the filter and plug are replaced the tin pan gets folded up for the garbage, without a drop on the ground. Next it's fill time. My rig has a fill neck that is nearly tight to the bottom of the dash, preventing anybody from filling the oil in a civilized manner. I used to screw around with long neck funnels, hoses, etc.. but now I just dump the quart bottle in. (that can be done without spilling) Then I quickly refill the empty quart, five times, using a funnel, while emptying the five qt. jug. After the oil is successfully changed, it's a simple matter of reusing the five qt. jug to pour the dirty oil in. Since this oil is hot, the jug will distend a bit and fit all the old oil. After any cleanup, the jug heads to any auto parts store, or Walmart for recycling. I have done this in campgrounds (with permission,of course. On this forum, I have to say that, to get it in before the keyboard police lose their minds ;)) but I typically find an abandoned lot or gravel area where it's obvious that nobody would care what I'm doing. Whole job takes 20 minutes and costs less than thirty bucks.

In the past I have successfully found places to do the job, but it is typically a hassle to find anybody that wants to work on big stuff, it's expensive, and there is the magical upcharge once you say the word "motorhome" for many shops. Doing the work on my rig is one of the easiest oil changes I do, but many shops quote ridiculous figures to do it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know your RV so I don't know how hard an oil change and lube job is. On my RV I can reach every zerk, and the oil pan and all WITHOUT.. a jack or hoist, In fact most often the tech who does my oil changes does it that way. NO hoist, NO grease pit, just a crawler.

If yours is like mine,, Well carrying the tools to change oil is easy. and most Wal*Mart's and many other places accet oil to recycle.

If not. Well... My Regular Service dealer charges only about 60 bucks (Semi synthetic) and Camping world 100 to put in the WRONG oil. (Mine is a gasser) Many truck stops also do oil changes at the 100 price range Plus there are other Truck service shops.. Used to be one in Oconee Co SC I really liked but they closed.

One of the most amazing things I found.. The lowest cost oil change I ever had done, and they used the specified oil too. was done at an AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER... (He too used a crawler, not a hoist)

So you might check with the chassis maker as to who is authorized.
He only made one minor mistake (Forgot to reset oil life indicator so I had to do the reset procedure myself a week later).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Took the motorhome to a nearby Ford dealer specializing in Ford commercial vehicles for an oil change. $79 out the door. The CW nearby wanted $120 plus tax. :E

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JDsdogs wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Lol at this thread. Everything from someone wanting to cousin Eddy-up a campground to conspiracy theories about zippy lubes! Good reading!

Even more useful info from a Seattleite, NOT!

Oh hey man, thems fighting words! Haha jk
I'm no Seattlite I can assure you. Just a matter of course, here is where the work is. Got shipped here 6 years ago, figured I'd gut out a couple years of wet feet every day, yet somehow we are still here. Maybe it's growing on me........nope, that's just moss!

Cheers buddy!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Lol at this thread. Everything from someone wanting to cousin Eddy-up a campground to conspiracy theories about zippy lubes! Good reading!

Even more useful info from a Seattleite, NOT!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
RV Mobile Repair. On site repair and maintenance. What part do you not get about that? No problem when you are on the road.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
obgraham wrote:
Good heavens, don't you guys think there are professional shops that will change your oil in any community in North America? You don't have to be at home.

This is not one of the issues that should stress out an RV owner!

OK, I'll buy that.
How much time should I expect to search for said "professional shop"?
How much time should I expect to wait to get it done?

Jiffy Lube and the like are not an option, too many bad reviews.
The price tag is not the problem. I just don't have the tools on the road wth me to repair problems caused by shoddy work. I can't take it back to shop that did the work as unless it's something obvious, leak, etc, I will be long down the road.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Good heavens, don't you guys think there are professional shops that will change your oil in any community in North America? You don't have to be at home.

This is not one of the issues that should stress out an RV owner!

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
My one and only experience with a quick lube place is they over filled the oil. That was 30 yrs ago and I've always changed my own oil since.

If on the road and in need of an oil change I'm not sure what I will do. I don't mind going over a couple thousand miles to get home but a remote spot in a Walmart or Home Depot parking lot using a tarp and a cat litter tray large enough doesn't sound like a bad option.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad
I am certain that most CG do not allow you to work on your rig as a result of the mess some would leave behind. Once again, a lot of good folks paying the price for the deeds of a few bad ones.
When I got to the milage where a oil change was due, I was not near a large metropolitan area. I asked the CG staff where to get the job done, reply; ",Uh I'm not sure". So I called a guy in the area who did mobil RV repair, same answer. Called a truck shop 20 mi away, "We can get you in in about a week".
Frustrating when I know I can do the job quickly without making a mess or disturbing anyone.
Disposable Oil drain pan $9
6' x 8' tarp $3
Filter. $5
Oil. $30 (8 qts includes 2 spare qts to add down the road as needed)
Oil disposal at Walmart.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The better trained shops may cause less harm but are just as good or better at up-selling something to over maintain the vehicle.
Every time, every single time I go in it is something.