cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple ideas for healthy, lower carb meals?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We need to start eating healthier, but don't want to go to a lot of trouble... I am trying to avoid pasta, rice & bread mostly. Suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

mikeandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I eat lots of chicken. You can make chicken foil packets and also chicken skewers with vegetables o the grill.
http://mikeandlisaworld.blogspot.com/

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
jesseannie wrote:
We are on a very low carb high fat nutrition plan prescribed by my lovelies Dr. It has reversed her diabetes. She has been on insulin for 25 years... now NO injections.
Low carbs to us is under 20 per day. Fact one slice of bread is over 20. So low carb for diabetics is different than low carb to eat better.
She has lost over 50 lbs since 12/19/16.
It was hard at first and still is demanding but we do fine camping. Last week was grilled hamburgers, without the bun, deviled eggs, veggies for the burger. Then we had chicken fajitas with one low carb tortilla. Next was a creamy jalapeno, cheese soup.
Jesseannie

People must get their energy from somewhere, and the best place is from natural fats. Good fats both create energy and improve hydration retention. Our culture has demonized fatty foods, but it's long term benefits can't be ignored.

Most of our health/diet advice in this current culture is reactionary. You have this ailment or that problem, then you should eat this way or do this activity. Instead we should be telling people to do this or that in order to avoid said ailment. Bread and carbs aren't the problem. Gluten isn't the problem. Sugar and salt isn't the problem. Red meat most certainly isn't the problem. The REAL problem is chemicals. The chemical intake of the modern American diet is sickening. Every time you drink a common soda (regular and especially diet), you're killing yourself. A little bit of GMO based breakfast cereal followed by some processed deli meat for lunch and some whole-wheat crackersfor snack, topped off with a plain tasteless chicken breast seasoned with something besides pure salt/spice...sounds like reasonable healthy advice. However, the chemicals in those items are the real killer. Cancer, diabetes, diverticulitis....these are primarily American diseases due to the American diet.

Change your life, get rid of the chemicals, and eat good tasty food.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We are on a very low carb high fat nutrition plan prescribed by my lovelies Dr. It has reversed her diabetes. She has been on insulin for 25 years... now NO injections.
Low carbs to us is under 20 per day. Fact one slice of bread is over 20. So low carb for diabetics is different than low carb to eat better.
She has lost over 50 lbs since 12/19/16.
It was hard at first and still is demanding but we do fine camping. Last week was grilled hamburgers, without the bun, deviled eggs, veggies for the burger. Then we had chicken fajitas with one low carb tortilla. Next was a creamy jalapeno, cheese soup.
Jesseannie

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I make a lot of stews -- lamb, fish, shrimp, chicken. Roasted vegies. For low but not zero carbs, you can make pies with filo dough.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I thought they were a dry pasta product.

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
Where did you find the shirataki noodles? I didn't see them at Safeway. Thanks! Any favorite recipes or ideas appreciated! It's roast, cauliflower & salad tonight...

They are often in the cooler with the tofu
Jack and Nina

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you find the shirataki noodles? I didn't see them at Safeway. Thanks! Any favorite recipes or ideas appreciated! It's roast, cauliflower & salad tonight...

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
It's tough to get started then it's easy and for some stupid reason then fall off wagon. I think it's important to just realize and start dropping carbs then. One meal that's really good is use low carb tortillas to make thin crust pizzas starting on the griddle to get crisp then finish in oven to melt cheese.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
s1214 wrote:
Replace your pasta with Shirataki noodles. Almost no carbs and can't tell the difference when prepared properly.

Do you have any recipes you used successfully with this ingredient?
I've used them in Asian cookery nicely but would like to incorporate them in other styles of cooking too.

I've used it to replace spaghetti with meatballs. Also used them for Thai peanut noodles. Since they come in spaghetti, Vermicelli, and a few other 'styles' I don't think there's any traditional recipe you couldn't substitute it in.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
One of our favorite easy dinners is a rotisserie chicken and a big salad. (Chicken bought from Costco or any market.)
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
At first it will be a bit of trouble. The Internet is your friend. My wife finds good low carb recipes all the time. Once you stop eating the processed carbs you'll lose your desire for them. Then it gets real easy.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
A protein/vegetable/dessert meal works for us. The old bait & switch, carb for a sugar-free dessert works every time. Could be yogurt, fruit & cottage cheese, or SF pudding. It's all about the anticipation of something sweet to end a meal that he doesn't realize he missed his carb altogether.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
s1214 wrote:
Replace your pasta with Shirataki noodles. Almost no carbs and can't tell the difference when prepared properly.

Do you have any recipes you used successfully with this ingredient?
I've used them in Asian cookery nicely but would like to incorporate them in other styles of cooking too.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
they now have the mashed cauliflower in the freezer section at some grocery stores. Green Giant brand I think.
Google South Beach recipes.
Make chili without the beans.
Hamburgers using lettuce leaves instead of buns.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi