cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Natural Flea Control

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
What does anyone use for natural flea control?

I have a rescue boy, with glaucoma and end stage heart failure. I found out at one point he was poisoned by lawn chemicals to the point he was hospitalized and not expected to live through that weekend. (before I got him) He is very sensitive to fragrances. Trouble breathing if he smells them. I have to use a special shampoo and conditioner on him, sans fragrance, as that sets him off on an itching frenzy that is non-relenting.

At home we don't have flea issues. We are going to be making a trip to visit friends, further south. I'm afraid to put any topical on him or give any long term tablet type preventative because of his chemical exposure and sensitivities. Just wondering if there is anything that will deter fleas, that won't interfere with his cabinet of daily meds.

Or do I just take my chances, and if he gets fleas, deal with it?
They get bathed weekly so we'd see the fleas pretty quickly if they got them.

WE are on borrowed time with his heart and I don't want to do anything stupid that will sacrifice any time we have left with him.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder
10 REPLIES 10

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem as you. Dog had seizures, allergies and medical problems that if he even got near a chemical he'd seize.

After searching and searching I finally found 'where' to buy real natural products that work and were safe for my dog.

Find a real fancy high priced natural organic pet food store near you. I say this because they are the only ones to carry 'actual' safe products that you will need to find for your pet.

The owners of these stores really care and they are very knowledgeable. Especially about pets with medical issues.

They will have natural flea control products that are safe and they will know which ones work. I bought several spray products to keep the fleas at bay and several natural flea shampoos.

Because of the new labeling laws natural products are not allowed to use the words "Kills Fleas", even though they do.

You will not find these products in any box store or on line.

Good Luck a little leg work on your part and you will find the products that are safe for your pet. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just wanted to mention salt on the areas where the fleas are. Drys the fleas out.
Its a long hard battle go to get rid of them once they become established. Persistance.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
The only tablet kind I know of is spinosad (Trefecta brand, etc.). It is a natural product, but I understand you might not want to give him anything internal.

Most natural external repellents are smelly (they smell good, but smelly).

How about diatomaceous earth? It's a natural mineral powder. You put it on him, rub it into his fur, and then rub him with a damp washcloth to remove the excess. Kills fleas on contact, and lasts a couple weeks. Very inexpensive!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't used Verbac, but there's Zodiac household spray also. Does the same thing. I've used it with great success over the years.

You might pick some up and try it now before your trip. Spray the dog's bed with it, let it dry, and then see if it causes a problem. If OK, then take it on the trip with you. Again with such sensitivities, a spray like this might bother him even still. But it's the best option for a real "flea killer" in this case.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I can understand your reluctance to use anything. Being sensitive to smells makes it even harder. For your RV, I would purchased a product called Knockout by Verbac. When we got fleas once, the vet's office carried it. You can spray it on any surface inside the RV - after about 1 hr or when dry it is safe for your pet. It works for up to 5 months and works by keeping any fleas from maturing and laying eggs. I would do this as a preventative before you leave on the trip. It worked great when we treated our house. Highly recommend it. No eggs - no new fleas to keep reinfesting him. You can purchase online from Verbac now.

Are you saying that if we spray this around our trailer and the dogs pick up fleas while they are on a walk in the woods, that this will kill the infestation? If so, it sounds great.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can understand your reluctance to use anything. Being sensitive to smells makes it even harder. For your RV, I would purchased a product called Knockout by Verbac. When we got fleas once, the vet's office carried it. You can spray it on any surface inside the RV - after about 1 hr or when dry it is safe for your pet. It works for up to 5 months and works by keeping any fleas from maturing and laying eggs. I would do this as a preventative before you leave on the trip. It worked great when we treated our house. Highly recommend it. No eggs - no new fleas to keep reinfesting him. You can purchase online from Verbac now.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Fl most of my life, fleas were just a way of life since all the preventatives did was reduce the infestation a little. I just made it an everyday chore to use a flea comb at the end of the day, and just manually remove the fleas. When you comb, have a cup with some rubbing alcohol in it, and as soon as you get a comb full of fleas, scrape them off into the rubbing alcohol. They die instantly.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
After Jimmy's bout of hives from an allergic reaction to flea bites, I put both dogs on Brewer's Yeast, and it seems to work for Ben in both Michigan and Florida - unfortunately for Jimmy, it works in Michigan but not so much in FL. I gave him Bravecto after another go-round with Florida fleas, and that works fine. I have to wonder if Jimmy's sometimes-high blood sugar makes him "tastier"?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've been watching several YouTube videos lately, learning a BUNCH of stuff about Vicks VapoRub. Although it's not been talked about as a flea control (yet,that I've found, anyway), it is a mosquito repellent and bug repellent. If your dog can handle the smell, (actually may open his sinuses!) you might try this.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long is your trip? If not too long, i'd say to bathe him and wash his bedding every couple days and vacuum any upholstery, carpet in the RV at the same time. And brush him well daily.

If you don't find any fleas, you can ease up on the frequency a bit.

If he's that sensitive, i'd be concerned about trying even natural products away from home (and his vet).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)