cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Make Your Own Tire Changing Tool

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I got old and I got weak. Bummer. But between my ears has not eroded. So I had to substitute brains for brawn...and on a strict budget...

Breaking lug nuts has become daunting. Especially those that Arnold Schwarzenegger wanna-be tire monkeys have tightened.

Breaking lug nuts lose while the tire is still on the ground is beyond my ability. The upper arc of lug nuts is too far off the ground. I want to jump up and down on the handle of a breaker bar to snap really tight lug nuts loose. Remember, I said I was weak. I'm not kidding...

So I jack the tire up off the ground. No need to worry about it spinning.

I made a post out of a length of 4x4 Doug Fir. Comfortable height. Reaches the height of the bottom lug nut. A 2x4 won't work. It will tip.

I cut a full-across V notch on one end, About an inch and a half deep.

I set the 4x4 against the wheel. Fasten the black impact wrench socket and extension across the notch, then carefully climb up onto the breaker (a long ratchet with cheater extension pipe is best as it won't swivel and cause a mishap).

Grab ahold of some place on the body. Nine times out of ten my body weight is enough to twist the tool. Being lowest to the ground, I can step off the ratchet, and revolve the tire to the next nut.

I can only wish I was forty years younger. Hope this helps. Ladies might appreciate the tip.
39 REPLIES 39

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I we are talking a typical 3/4 or 1 ton truck and below or an typical TT, stop at a Harbor Freight and buy a 1/2" drive Pittsburgh Pro 25" long breaker bar. If that is not enough leverage get a piece of 1-1/2" galvanized pipe about 2' long as an add-on cheater.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
That 2x6 with holes is an interesting idea!
Also Max's spoon pry bar for lifting wheels into place. I find a spade shovel quite helpful when changing to summer tires. One with a short handle is best.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Naio wrote:

Sorted by color because I am a girl.

DW LOVED this when I read it to her.

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Naio wrote:

These both require you to have a large 1/2" ratchet as a separate tool.

Sure, but does anyone here not carry one?

These will not fit into the rim of a dually to reach the lug nuts.

Ah, good point! I am unfamiliar with the intricacies of duallies.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA, that looks great andv thanks for the pic!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of a 4x4 with a notch, I used a 2x6 about 24 inches long and drilled two rows of holes the length of it, staggered, of a size the fat part of the extension would slip thru. Stand it upright and slip the extension thru, put on the socket and then the 24 inch Harbor Freight breaker bar. The multitude of holes, gives you good alignment with every lugnut.

Not my pic or tool, but the same idea. This pic on the View/Navion Yahoo forum is where I got the idea for mine. I have mine bolted behind one of the side doors under the slide, on a flat panel .

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:
Notes on the Amazon ones, for myself and others who may be interested.

There are several that look like the one in the video, but they have surprisingly different specs. The first 3 have the same 1:58 (!!!) ratio, tho. All have pretty good reviews, including use on semis and DPs.

DW LOVED this when I read it to her.

Naio wrote:
Blue.
16lbs, 1" drive.
Comes with (3) 6-point sockets: 41 mm (1-5/8"), 38 mm (1-1/2"), 33 mm (1-5/16")
4-point/square (for square duel lug studs) socket: 21 mm (13/16")
$60

Black.
25lbs!!
Drive size not listed.
Includes 8 Sockets: 24mm(15/16"), 27mm,
30mm(1-3/16"), 32mm(1-1/4"), 33mm, 38mm(1-1/2")
1" Adapter & 1" to 3/4" Adapter/Reducter
$65

Grey.
16lbs
Drive size not listed. Maybe this is secretly the same as the blue 1" one, in a different color case.
6-point sockets: 41 mm (1-5/8"), 38 mm (1-1/2"), 33 mm (1-5/16")
$53

This one is 1:18, weighs 2lbs, people say is a bit flimsier but still good for emergencies: Silver. $43

These are all self contained. You don't need anything else. The grey one says in the questions and answers that it is a 1" drive. These will all fit into the rim of a dually to reach the lug nuts.

Naio wrote:
Here's the most inexpensive of the old fashioned kind. I think it might be best for me -- not having the outrigger would make it fit in more places. Only 1:5, though. 1/2" drive, 400 ft/lbs weighs 3.5lbs: Actual metal. $85

And a real one, $220, 1100ft/lbs, 1:3.5 ratio, 3/4" output, 1/2" input, weighs 5lbs.

These both require you to have a large 1/2" ratchet as a separate tool. These will not fit into the rim of a dually to reach the lug nuts.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Notes on the Amazon ones, for myself and others who may be interested.

There are several that look like the one in the video, but they have surprisingly different specs. The first 3 have the same 1:58 (!!!) ratio, tho. All have pretty good reviews, including use on semis and DPs.

Blue.
16lbs, 1" drive.
Comes with (3) 6-point sockets: 41 mm (1-5/8"), 38 mm (1-1/2"), 33 mm (1-5/16")
$60

Black.
25lbs!!
Drive size not listed.
Includes 8 Sockets: 24mm(15/16"), 27mm,
30mm(1-3/16"), 32mm(1-1/4"), 33mm, 38mm(1-1/2")
1" Adapter & 1" to 3/4" Adapter/Reducter
$65

Grey.
16lbs
Drive size not listed. Maybe this is secretly the same as the blue 1" one, in a different color case.
6-point sockets: 41 mm (1-5/8"), 38 mm (1-1/2"), 33 mm (1-5/16")
$53

This one is 1:18, weighs 2lbs, people say is a bit flimsier but still good for emergencies: Silver. $43

Here's the most inexpensive of the old fashioned kind. I think it might be best for me -- not having the outrigger would make it fit in more places. Only 1:5, though. 1/2" drive, 400 ft/lbs weighs 3.5lbs: Actual metal. $85

And a real one, $220, 1100ft/lbs, 1:3.5 ratio, 3/4" output, 1/2" input, weighs 5lbs.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I think I need me one of these! Amazon has a bunch, prices $42-300.
Linky.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Red face

Green Bruises

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds like a Red Green episode
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Marvin, thanks for that Cheater Wrench video link!!

What an ingenius device ... eloquent and simple ... engineering at it's finest. Sometimes they really get it right.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Tiny toad need trailer to haul that stuff. Half the time the llanteros (yawn TEHR ros) tire men curse when their impacts hammer bit do not turn and then grab their own version of Newton's Persuader. Usually three feet on length.

This will do the job.
MarvinManual helper
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Tiny toad need trailer to haul that stuff. Half the time the llanteros (yawn TEHR ros) tire men curse when their impacts hammer bit do not turn and then grab their own version of Newton's Persuader. Usually three feet on length.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gee.. I just plug in the Big Bad Wolf (He Huffs and he PUffs and he BLWOS the nuts off) (150 PSI crafstman Air compressor) Plug in the air powered impact wrench, grab the impact socket.. and off come the nuts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times