cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight of "Stuff"

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Not counting the toys, how much "stuff" (clothes, food, dishes, supplies, camp chairs, etc) do you think is in your camper for say a family of four? 1000lbs? More?
17 REPLIES 17

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Scares me!! I'm getting ready to empty 2 toy haulers and combine into one bigger one, well if financing goes through, and the thought of what all I have duplicated between the 2 is kinda scary. Some things obviously won't be needed in the new one so I think we'll have to throw it all together and do some serious sorting, pitching and selling!!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
it was easier to buy a bigger truck then worry about what my wife was loading into the trailer.

You just made me spit out my soda!

Bedlam
Averages out about 250 lbs per person is my measurement. This does not include water which can easily double the load. Then you have fuel and vehicles...

Just two of us with two vehicles and full tanks was around 4000 lbs payload in my case. I easily had an additional 1500 lbs of people, tools and parts in the truck that I did not carry in the trailer. GCW was around 20K lbs with a 7250 lb truck and 7500 lb toy hauler when loaded.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
For us in a 42' fifth wheel and a family of 4, we ran about 1,500-2,500 before we went fulltime. Once we went fulltime, the numbers are totally different.

Admittedly, we pack heavy.

http://learntorv.com/weighed-again-still-all-ok/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I have lots of tools.
Compressor, Nitrogen tank, oil(s), Antifreeze, CV's, 1 axle. I am guessing I am closer to 1500lbs.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
it was easier to buy a bigger truck then worry about what my wife was loading into the trailer.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Towin_Toys
Explorer
Explorer
It adds up quick, especially for those of us who both dry camp and occasionally have full hook ups. Different hardware for each set up some times to a point. We recently sold our travel trailer and bought a toy hauler and there is actually less cargo space but more cupboard space. The less cargo space is a good thing I think because a lot of the things that were in the travel trailer did not make it into the toy holler. But then again some of those things weren't needed because the toy hauler has a lot of extras built-in.
KMO
'17 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 HD Duramax 4x4 CC
'18 Northwood Desert Fox Toy Hauler
'16 Polaris RzR 900
'11 KTM 990 Adventure
'06 Softail Deuce 98"
'08 KTM 300 XC-W(e)

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
You can easily build up the weight.
Even before you start loading your own personal stuff, you have to consider the following:
120+ pounds if you have 2 golf cart batteries.
110 pounds for two full 30lb propane tanks.
400 pounds if you travel with 50 gallons of water.
50 pounds of water in your water heater.
35-50 pounds if you have a foam mattress pad.
That is 700 lbs before you even start adding in food, clothing, camping gear, personal hygiene, fishing equipment, or whatever you take along.

We take a porta-bote (mounted to the side of our travel trailer). That is another 80 lbs. (the seats, transom, & trolling motor go in the pick-up bed so I'm not counting their weight on the trailer).
We also take 2 adult bicycles. Those plus the bike racks probably add another 100 lbs.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not a direct comparison to your situation - and we all carry different kinds of things - but we have 2,200 lbs. of cargo on board the trailer. We are a full-timing couple and carry bikes and an inflatable two-person kayak in additions to clothing, kitchen stuff, food, personal items, photo equipment, computers and one guitar (her small Spanish guitar - my 12-string dreadnought is in storage).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
In mine about 700 pounds...including extra kitchen sink...just in case.

hahah thumbs up for the extra kitchen sink ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't have a TH but a TT instead, but still I'll raise my hand as guilty, I probably carry at least 700 lbs of "stuff" just for me and my dog between the trailer and truck.

After my folks passed, I inherited an entire second household of stuff, so I equipped the RV kitchen with stainless cookware and cutlery, ceramic plates, bowls, cups. I upgraded to a real mattress, cupboards above the bed are fully stocked with sheets and blankets.

On a long trip clothing, towels, etc is 100 lbs+ by itself. Food, at least another 100 lbs - I don't like searching for grocery stores on a trip.

Recently added, 500 lbs of water in the truck - that really helps the HD truck ride nice. There's 100 lbs of generators back there, maybe 100 lbs in portable gasoline containers

Four 60 lbs batteries and an equally heavy inverter occupy a storage bay above the axle.

Sheesh, I need to put this rig on a diet.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We don't pack light and we add 1k for a 2 week trip, tanks empty. I have no idea how you would add 2k like biscuit unless maybe full-timing.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
It can get up there real fast....this, that, and the other things..
It's called, "cargo bloat," and it can become a problem.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 19 Ft" Attitude 5,700 dry loaded 7,200 = 1,500

Three Dirtbikes gear, water, tools, chairs,folding tables,Food,pots pans, one old fashion coffee perkulator, and a plug in Mr Coffee,utensils,toaster, clothing, 100 gallons of water and so on! (-) 3 Dirtbikes 6,500 with fuel = Not counting toys~ 750 of stuff!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weighed mine after I loaded with 10 chairs, pots pans, grill, sheets, towels, blankets, silverware, cups, mugs, awning matts, folding tables, grill stands, some food, and some clothes. plus hammock, and stand. And a few other things I'm forgetting. I added 650lbs.

1000lb would be a lot of junk, and to be honest. There isn't enough room in my TT for much more.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers