cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a new camper, which one?

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a truck camper in the past, heck I have owned just about every type of RV except a class A and a toy hauler. We already have an Open Range 318 but that's for paved road camping. What I need your help with is which one to buy?
I'm looking to buy a truck camper to take to Tuktoyaktuck NWT next summer as well as bush camping / ATVing around here.
We have narrowed it down to either a Northern Lite 8-11 Classic or an Arctic Fox 811.
The obvious difference is the more room with the slide on the Arctic Fox.
What I'm looking for your opinions about craftsmanship, reliability and all round good product life, over time.
In got a 1 ton short box diesel so I not to worried about weight, and I know there are fewer models to chose from with the short box, but thats the cards I have been dealt.
Your opinions are much appreciated.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks
53 REPLIES 53

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice however we have put mo way down on a Northern Lite which is being made in Kelowna as we speak.

Hope all goes well with your repair.

Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
camr wrote:
My advice, based solely on my own experience, would be if you have decided on getting a camper with a slide, avoid the Schwintek slide system like the bubonic plague. Ours has been an absolute nightmare, going in later this month for yet another repair. There is no backup provisions for the system other than if the motors become out of sync. If the system dies completely, there is no manual or crank backup to close the system other than a complicated didassembly of the motor drive system within the walls of the camper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSafAnjxIV4

camr
Explorer
Explorer
My advice, based solely on my own experience, would be if you have decided on getting a camper with a slide, avoid the Schwintek slide system like the bubonic plague. Ours has been an absolute nightmare, going in later this month for yet another repair. There is no backup provisions for the system other than if the motors become out of sync. If the system dies completely, there is no manual or crank backup to close the system other than a complicated didassembly of the motor drive system within the walls of the camper.
Cam, Heather and Mallory Aussie (Austalian Shepherd)
2011 F-250 PSD, traded on-
2014 RAM 3500 DRW
Curt 24K hitch
2015 Mobile Suites RSB3
2015 Eagle Cap 960 camper

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
You sure it is wet weight?
I was at the site where they build them last week and I saw the scale and I think they do dry weight.... but I could be wrong.
I'm going back in a couple weeks to see my rig getting the two halves put together. ... I will I investagte more....on the scale they use, and if it is wet or dry.

Soup.

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Northern Lite 8-11 Q Classic Special Edition on my 2013 Chevy ext. cab, short box, 2500HD 4wd diesel that has a plow package and a MGVW of 10,000 lbs. On certified scales, my rig weighs between 10,800 and 11,500 lbs. depending on load variables. The sticker on the wall in the hanging closet says wet weight is 2,750...actual is plus or minus 3,000. I wish I had the 11,500 MGVW 3500HD. Don't believe the posted info....weigh your rig on certified scales. Oh...forgot to mention....I love my NL camper.

Phil

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
Soup,

Thanks a lot of for the response back! Usually I ask questions when it's too late, so this time I'm trying, to get a feel of the different options available "before I Buy"!

Thanks Again Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
We went over to Kelowna BC were they are made about a 3 hr drive and had a tour, I asked a million questions and then went to the closest dealer to my home and ordered a new 2018, 8-11.
We didn't get the AC
We didn't get the Microwave.
We had the second Fantastic fan installed in the kitchen vent ( were A/C would go)
Ordered the green interior
Ordered the "U" shaped dinette ( figure this way we can put our legs up and relax when we watch TV or just relax after a hard day of ATVing. We also sat in the bench type dinette and with my 6' frame I couldn't get my legs comfy, so we hope this will work for us)
We got the Hot water tank that on elec and propane
We also will have the dealer install a 1/4 LP quick connect in the Propane tank compartment for our BBQ.
And had all the vents on the roof covered with MaxAir Vent covers.
I asked and I'm not sure who installed the Battiers but the dealer said it comes with 2 -6 volt no-maintenance batteries to store that 95 watt solar panel juice, which is perfect for that 12 volt TV and DVD /CD -am/fm stereo.
All them LED lights won't use much juice at all and I talked with a guy at Northern Light and he said the big compartment on the right side was designed to hold a 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha Generator...
the main reasons we did t buy a 2017 that were sitting on the lot were this
In the 2018 models they offered the U Shaped Dinette and the new Dry Bath. I know that Dry Bath will be tight fit, but the Mrs. has already stated that my shower at the outdoor shower location.
We are going to be driving to, Tukoyaktuk, NWT next summer up that 1000 km gavel road.... that shower may get cold fast!
Only place you can drive to the Arctic Ocean (Beaufort Sea) in North America.... should be fun.

I think that's it, my paper work is at home and I'm old and having a beer ( 11, I'm Canadian) and can't remember anymore things.... ( grin) so someone may chirp in and say something else that they have and I forgot but I think that's it.

Soup

70GTO
Explorer
Explorer
SideHillSoup, "built the way we want it" what exactly did you order that was different? I think I will be a Northern Lite owner myself "very soon"!!

Bruce
Retirement Date: JANUARY, 01,2018
2018 Chevy Duramax/Allison Dually
2018 Northern Lite 10-2EXCD SE
5 out of 4 People have Trouble with Fractions !!!

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
Your going to love your new Northern Lite!
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

sharkman
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, even better is a new one.
Camper: 2005 Lance Lite 815
Truck: 2003 Dodge Ram Loramie 3500HD, CTD, DRW, Q/C, L/B, Draw-Tite Front Hitch
Boat: 1985 Alumacraft Trophy 175 - Evinrude 90 HP

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Congrats, be sure to post pictures when you have it loaded!

Thanks, we are xcoted, like going back in time to the 70's when we first married.... I hope all the 70's stuff comes back not just the camper.....( grin)..... :B

Now, anyone looking for a 2014 Open Range 5er?
Now it's time to change my signature and figure out why my truck won't change... which I sold the 207 one in April and have a 2017 now..... changed it three times and it keeps going back to 2007....
Soup.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats, be sure to post pictures when you have it loaded!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Well looks like my post went a little sideways, but was all great reading with lots of get info, and thanks to all.
On Saturday we put money down to have a Northern Lite 8-11 built they way we want, pick it up the beginning of September. Great living this close to the manufacturer.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Soup.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Other than the little step up for getting into the bathroom my AF 990 is the same space. We go in and out of our TC just about every lunch break and when nature calls and there is no rest room on the road at the time.;)