cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tuktoyaktuk

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Sue, we are headed to Inuvik and Tuk next summer any tips or things to see or do would be appropriated.
Also anyone else out there with info would be great.
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks
13 REPLIES 13

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I love the pics.................more, more
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
puttd wrote:
The road to tuk will not be open until november.

Check road conditions on the dempster before leaving, esp if driving a moho or toad, they are working on doing some grading but right now 15-20 mph is pushing it, and dont be surprised to have dmage. Maybe better in a week or two.
'

It is very, very dusty. If you bring a toad, do not start the car without cleaning out the engine compartmebt first. All of my belts were buried in grit and someone else reported a shredded serpentine belt. Cover your interior seats as they will be covered in a thick layer of dirt otherwise.

Thanks for the info, however we aren't doing this trip until next July and we are doing it in our truck and camper.
Soup.
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs

puttd
Explorer
Explorer
The road to tuk will not be open until november.

Check road conditions on the dempster before leaving, esp if driving a moho or toad, they are working on doing some grading but right now 15-20 mph is pushing it, and dont be surprised to have dmage. Maybe better in a week or two.
'

It is very, very dusty. If you bring a toad, do not start the car without cleaning out the engine compartmebt first. All of my belts were buried in grit and someone else reported a shredded serpentine belt. Cover your interior seats as they will be covered in a thick layer of dirt otherwise.

KPSmithSr
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to my wife's blog.
Alaska and Canada

Look around June 21 to June 25, it might give you some info.
Ken and Sue Smith
'15 Silverado 3500 LT, DRW, D/A, Ice Silver
2007 Carriage Cameo 35KS3
2016 Coleman 235QB - Lantern

Indecision is the Key to Flexibility

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Sue.... that's enough pictures your wrecking the surprise....
The Hwy / road to Tuk from Inuvik will be an exciting 120 km.....
my uncle (Canadian Armed forces) helped build the Alaska Hwy back in WWII, if he were still around I know he would be one of the first on that new stretch of road.
Going to be an exciting summer .... thanks again everyone.
Soup.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
In June 2015 we drove from Tombstone Park to the Arctic Circle and then back to the RV at Tombstone in one day.
http://yukonsights.ca/20150630_ArcticCircle.html

There's some amazing scenery along the way

My Honda Fit handled the Dempster quite nicely
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, great link Sue, great info on it.
I have exstencive driving expareance on logging and mining roads with RV's, snowmobiles, ATV's and just the truck so I think I have that park covered.
The road part to Tuc was finished last year and this year they are finishing up building bridges and colverts pulls off etc, or so I have read. The new Hwy map from NWT Tourism still show the road only as an ice road, so I guess my reading is correct.
We (I) have always wanted to go to Inuvik ever since a buddy of mine flew planes with the RCMP and was stationed up there for years.
He has since retired down south, but his stories are great, and I want to see some of the places he talks about.
With the road being completely finished this fall next summer may be a busy year up north.
Thanks for the into everytone and keep it coming...it's all great.
Soup.

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously thinking of heading up there next year. The last time I was in Tuk was 1966. I was a diver in the RCN and we cleared the beaches for DEW line supplies.
But we flew into Tuk on a old DC 3.

I'd be really interested in knowing how the new road is.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Inuvik during their annual summer art show. We are not art slobs, but there were a lot of activities planned to coincide with this annual event. You might want to check that out. I think it runs for a couple of weeks.

We spent a couple of nights in the c.g. right in town. It was quite nice and very handy for walking around to see things.

There is a car/truck wash on the far side of town. I would recommend making it your first stop to wash off the road salt and grime that will cover your vehicles. Do this again when you get off the Dempster on the return trip.

I think the new road to Tuk is now open. We flew to Tuk and enjoyed the flight. We were able to look down and see hundreds of beluga whales. It is an interesting stop. We were surprised that the ocean water was as warm as it was. I guess because it is shallow and gets lots of sunlight during the summer months.

Take as much food with you as possible. Prices up there are horrendous. Also make sure your tires are in good repair and that you have a spare and extra belts or other necessities in case of minor breakdowns.

It is definitely worth doing.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Being at or north of the Arctic Circle on June 21 is an experience that'll stick in your brain. The sun stays above the horizon. At Inuvik, the sun is high in the sky all night. For folks not used to all night sunshine, it can be a bit disorienting. Hubby wanted to hit the road late in the evening because he was wide awake in the sun.

The drive north on the Dempster is interesting. Do check in at the Visitor Centre at Dawson City for the road conditions before heading up.

Tombstone Park is worth of a couple of nights stay and there's good hiking in that area.

Don't be in a rush - drive for the road conditions. Let the locals whip on by because they just need to make time and they know the road.

The Yukon government's Dempster Highway Travelogue is a good resource.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Is there now a road (summer) from Inuvik to Tuk? In 1993 wife and I flew from Inuvik to Tuk on a one day excursion. Still fondly remember wading in the Arctic Ocean while the native children were having fun swimming!! Even have a certificate from the village elder to that effect. Also bought a caribou antler carving of tundra swans by Joe Reddi. Wonder if he is still alive? What an interesting village.

My bucket list is about empty but sure would enjoy that drive!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
First off.
I would love to do that trip.

BUT... We just came out of a long ugly winter and never really had a spring. All I want is heat and sun.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's an interesting post in the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum from a guy who just did it in the winter with a lot of photos. Also, if you Google something like road trip Tukoyaktuk, you should get some good hits.

Recent winter drive.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.