cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Definition of a Class B vs Camper Van?

Ballenxj
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a lot of different ideas on class B motorhomes/vans.
The old Dodge Explorer I think was the first factory purpose built van meant to be used for camping and traveling that comes to mind. Some even have fiberglass wide bodies on a cut away van chassis, while others seem to have regular van bodies, some with high tops and other without.
My question is, where is the cut off between camper van & B? Can you build your own B, and if so, how many here have done this?
I have seen some really nice van conversions.
Also, what might be the advantage of one over the other?
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚
21 REPLIES 21

Ballenxj
Explorer
Explorer
Heapie wrote:
Hi Folks,
I once owned a VW Vanagon. I considered it as a camper van. I had a 13 inch high portapotti, a sun shower, and kitchen which was part of the Vanagon. I now have a Roadtrek 190V with all the bells and whistles. The VW was much more fun and cheaper to operate. Might go back.
Heapie

Thanks for your insight on the subject. ๐Ÿ™‚
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
I once owned a VW Vanagon. I considered it as a camper van. I had a 13 inch high portapotti, a sun shower, and kitchen which was part of the Vanagon. I now have a Roadtrek 190V with all the bells and whistles. The VW was much more fun and cheaper to operate. Might go back.
Heapie

Ballenxj
Explorer
Explorer
mikegt4 wrote:
Various state laws governing registration can muddy the waters as well. When I did a work van to camper conversion years ago the state had a list of 6 options (bed, sink permanent cooking facilities, toilet etc.), if I had any 4 then it was a class B in their eyes.

Yes, good idea to check with your state. Along with the basic fixtures, toilet, sink,cooking, and bed, it seems Idaho also requires that it have a high top that allows you to stand up in?
curious, can you list those options and state? Thanks.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
mikegt4 wrote:
Various state laws governing registration can muddy the waters as well. When I did a work van to camper conversion years ago the state had a list of 6 options (bed, sink permanent cooking facilities, toilet etc.), if I had any 4 then it was a class B in their eyes.

Thanks for that tip!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mikegt4
Explorer
Explorer

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I just call mine a camper van or a van rv, depending on context.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Ballenxj
Explorer
Explorer
rjf7g wrote:
Unless someone is a camper nerd (like me), the various classes are meaningless. When I am talking to a lay person about our class B, I call it a "van camper with everything you need in a house." Folks seem to get that.

Haha, GOOD ONE!
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
Unless someone is a camper nerd (like me), the various classes are meaningless. When I am talking to a lay person about our class B, I call it a "van camper with everything you need in a house." Folks seem to get that.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Here is RVIA (Recreation Vehicle Industry Association) consumer site. Go RVing

"Features
Nimble and easy to drive, Type B Motorhomes are easy to park and maneuver, even in downtown settings.
Home-like conveniences are standard, including bathroom, sleeping, dining and kitchen facilities as well as storage.
Full stand-up room is achieved by raising the roof and sometimes by the use of dropped floors, for extra interior headroom."

This definition is what Insurance Companies use, as well as most HO Assn. to classified an RV.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek wrote:
If a van has a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom, it is an RV, and classified a
Class/Type B. If it is missing any of the above it is considered a Camper Van.

I think a lot of rv parks use this definition, maybe due to local laws. I always call ahead to ask if my home brew is ok (usually is), and i tell them, 'it is a minivan with a bed, toilet and fridge'.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
If a van has a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom, it is an RV, and classified a
Class/Type B. If it is missing any of the above it is considered only a Camper Van.
They both are often called Camper Vans, but only a van with kitchen, bath, and bedroom can be a Class B, Camper Van.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht, here, is a great guy to know. His username ends in a couple of numbers -- 75, maybe? He posts mainly in the tech forum. He lives fulltime in a factory conversion van (not a class B) and is brilliant with homebuilt alterations.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
You can search for my posts here, but it's mainly just a lot of questions and I don't have pics online. The other sites have tons of well documented builds!

Ballenxj
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Yeah, that's the difference in my mind.

There is also the impression the a B tends to be built commercially, and a camper van is more likely to be homebrew.

There are a LOT of homebuilt van-based RV's, with and without showers and black tanks. Not many on this site, but check out Expedition Portal, Cheap RV Living, and Sportsmobile's forum (they have a home brew section).

AWESOME! Do you have any photos and posts anywhere about your build?
I'm familiar with cheap RV living, but those others are interesting. Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚