cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Woods And Water Highway

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
We're seriously considering leaving SWOntario mid August and traveling over to Winnipeg and transiting the Northern Woods and Water Highway to BC....arriving early September. We would then head South to Vancouver, and into the US in early October to head back down to Arazona for the Winter.

Has anyone traveled this route? We have a 35' TT and our TV is a 2016 Ford F-150... we're looking for advice, camping recommendations, local points of interest etc!

We have logged into the website for the route Association but are exploring all possible sources of information!

Thanks, Gord & Heidi
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!
11 REPLIES 11

NWWRca
Explorer
Explorer
We just started promoting the NWW Highway again after a 20 year hiatus. Did you make your trip? What were your impressions of the Highway.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Wassagaming has a great Riding Mountain National Park campground. Has any kind of hookup you want, some shade trees, a little privacy between sites, flush toilets, and good Wi-Fi and cell service. It is in walking distance of town and the lake. And Riding Mountain has great wildlife viewing, boating, and fishing. We spent 3 nights there in beautiful, sunny fall weather on our way to Lake of the Woods and would go back again in a minute!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the insight!

We're having fun checking out the route! So much to see...We'll have six weeks or so to make it to Vancouver...probably could have used more time, but at least we won't be rushing too much!

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We live on that route, just east of the BC boundary. We travelled to Prince Albert on that route a few years ago. We thoroughly enjoyed it - not so much traffic as southern routes, not as hot or dry, campsites with lots of room and many places to use our canoe. At Prince Albert we headed north to Lac la Ronge, which was even more so. No problems with the highways except a stretch of construction that will be nice new pavement now.

There is a great campsite on the east end of Slave Lake, just north of the town of the same name. Slave lake provincial park
The sand dunes day use park and the campsite are both worth visiting. There are usually large waves hitting the beaches - kids love them. The campsite is high above the beach on sand dunes. Boating is better on the west end of the big lake where there are less spectacular campsites.

We also enjoyed camping and canoeing on Meadow lake and other lakes in Saskatchewan. Lots of lakes and forests in the north.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
My apologies....spelling never was my strong suit!

Letterkenny is a two season Canadian tv production, filmed in the Sudbury area...!

scorpion
Explorer
Explorer
Hamner...it that where they filmed Letterkenny?

If this comment was addressed to me, best check your spelling. my address is HaNMer. Have never heard of Letterkenny.....must have had a sheltered life?

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
sorry....the website should be:

http://www.nwwr.ca

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for responding fellows!

The Canadian RV publication, RV Lifestyle (Vol. 46, No1) has an article about the highway and NWWR has a website at http://www.nwrw.ca which has information about the route...It looks like there is a paper guide available so I've emailed them for more info.

I'm primarily interested in camping locations / facilities along the route....it looks like it would be a great way to cross the three Provinces, taking our time and enjoying the smaller communities along the way!

We're also getting info from the Provincial Tourist guides etc.

Hamner...it that where they filmed Letterkenny?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds really interesting. I'd like to learn more.

A quote from the Wikipedia article on the NWWH:

"The entire route is paved except for a Class 4 gravel highway segment between Nipawin and the Manitoba border."

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

scorpion
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of that name before. Had to google it. The usual second choice is the Yellow Head Hwy or hwy 11 which angles NW from Manitoba up to Edmonton. From the map of NWWH I would suggest that you will be on many secondary hwys in northern Man. and Sask. and terrain will be typical of northern boreal with small lakes and rivers. You are mainly north of the Can. prairies. But, I have never done that entire route so am no expert.

Scorp

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...hard to believe that no one has ever traveled this route (or, they're unwilling to offer up comments!)

Has to be someone out there with experience crossing Canada in a RV without using the Trans Canada Highway!

Just looking for some constructive feedback!