cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this unsafe to do this?

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Would anyone hitch up their breakaway cable like this? I was trying to figure out the logic behind this method, thanks.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

46 REPLIES 46

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
My old one just fell out one day. don't know if animal or small person pulled it partway.Pins are plastic.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The whole point of connecting the emergency breakaway lanyard to something other than the receiver is that the odds of both the receiver and whatever you attached the lanyard to will fall off, at the same time, are small.

On tow vehicles where the receiver is not attached to the bumper it ought to be a viable place to attach the lanyard. It does not take that much force to pull the pin on the breakaway switch that it would tear the bumper off the truck. If it does you've got bigger problems.

You can only plan for so many "what ifs," but you don't have to intentionally defeat one of the safety mechanisms that are already in place to deal with many of those "what ifs."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
To all of those that say it looks safe, after the coupler becoming disconnected or the ball/nut becoming unthreaded, the pin holding the hitch in the receiver is just about the only other possible failure point causing loss of trailer. If the cotter pin comes off of the pin and the pin slides out, what is going to activate the brakes?

What if and what if! We can all what if this happens, well what if your frame breaks, and what if when it activates the brakes don't work, you can only take so many precautions for what if.
Personally I would hook mine that way, actually it looks kinda thought out to me, much better than just hooking cable on the safety chain hook which many do.

Yes there are the what if's! And then there is the right way to do it! And that clearly isn't the right way.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:

Anyone guess where this goes with where I clip on my safety stuff?...

Your belt loop?

๐Ÿ˜‰

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
To all of those that say it looks safe, after the coupler becoming disconnected or the ball/nut becoming unthreaded, the pin holding the hitch in the receiver is just about the only other possible failure point causing loss of trailer. If the cotter pin comes off of the pin and the pin slides out, what is going to activate the brakes?

What if and what if! We can all what if this happens, well what if your frame breaks, and what if when it activates the brakes don't work, you can only take so many precautions for what if.
Personally I would hook mine that way, actually it looks kinda thought out to me, much better than just hooking cable on the safety chain hook which many do.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how I set up the break-away attachment point on our GMC 2500HD -

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
marininn wrote:
Someone mentioned that the threaded chain links will break, explain further???? They are rated at thousands of lbs, so why they break? What is the best option?
There is nothing wrong with the threaded chain links provided they have the proper rating.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Think, for a moment, about the breaking strength of your trailer safety chains.
Will those chains hold the trailer if it comes off the hitch ball? The law says they must.
Now think about the amount of force that will be applied to those chains if the tongue falls off the hitch ball, and the brakes are actuated with full voltage. Will those chains hold that force?
How about the mild steel loop that the chains are attached to the trailer tongue with? Will it hold?
How about the attaching point at the vehicle end. Will it hold against full brake application?
Think about it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

marininn
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a friend attach his to the hook holding the safety chains to the trailer, then he attached another hook to the safety brake's hook and ran that to the TV hitch. Inconceivable!

Someone mentioned that the threaded chain links will break, explain further???? They are rated at thousands of lbs, so why they break? What is the best option?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
NJRVer wrote:
Lantley wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Never Never Never hook the lanyard to the hitch. As mentioned. IF the hitch breaks, the brake pin will not be pulled. Will be useless.

I put a I-bolt thru the step bumper where there is a place for chaines to be hooked if using the bumper to tow. I hook the lanyard to that. So that even if the hitch fall off, the brakes will still be pulled on.

I think I have more faith in the hitch than I do in a bumper.

It's not about faith. The whole premise of the brake and cable is that a failure can occur. If failure occurs it is wise to have cable attached to anything other than the point of failure

If you take it to the nth degree, a failure can occur no matter where you make the connection.

Correct but you have a better chance of the brakes engaging if not connected to the same connection point. It would require 2 simultaneous failures vs.1
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

blt2ski
Having done this as I lost the locking biener I used to hook the loop elsewhere......then got pulled over by one of Washington states finest officers.......I was informed ILLEGAL! Got lucky with just a warning, but will go with the not safe as noted, illegal in many jurisdictions etc.
THIS can also get you red tagged on the side of the road.....now being over a manufactures weight rating will NOT get you red tagged on the side of the road until issue is fixed! Think about that for a moment.......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Taught all my designers & engineers this:
  • Design it for the idiot and gorilla, as if they can misuse it...they will
  • Design it for the moment Mr Murphy shows up
  • KISS is the main thought process

Of course withing budget and specifications...

Most receivers are bolted to the frame rails...on ladder frame TV's

Most bumpers are bolted to the frame rails...on ladder frame TV's

Most bodies are bolted to the frame rails...on ladder frame TV's

Most things bolted on can have the bolts under torqued, not torqued, vibrate loose, etc on ladder frame TV's

Anyone guess where this goes with where I clip on my safety stuff?...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Never Never Never hook the lanyard to the hitch. As mentioned. IF the hitch breaks, the brake pin will not be pulled. Will be useless.

I put a I-bolt thru the step bumper where there is a place for chaines to be hooked if using the bumper to tow. I hook the lanyard to that. So that even if the hitch fall off, the brakes will still be pulled on.

It's not about faith. The whole premise of the brake and cable is that a failure can occur. If failure occurs it is wise to have cable attached to anything other than the point of failure

If you take it to the nth degree, a failure can occur no matter where you make the connection.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
NJRVer wrote:
Terryallan wrote:

I don't attach mine to either the hitch or the bumper. It is attached to the truck's frame.

Back in the days when I drove a MH and pulled a toad, I had a hitch shop put the baseplate on the car. When I went to pick it up, they had attached the breakaway cable to the hitch. I made them move it to the MH frame before I left the lot.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB