cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First camping trip with the whole family (dogs included)

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
We took our first camping trip with the whole family - the DW, 2 boys, and 3 dogs. We went to Lake Martin in Dadeville, AL at the military FamCamp.

We trailered my motorcycle for store runs. No problem towing but then again, the weight wasn't that much. Initial setup and leveling was a bit easier with the DW as a spotter. The boys and DW tended to the dogs while I set up camp. I made a note for next time to have some sort of fun task for the boys to do on arrival that will take them about 30 min. This will keep away from me so I can go through my checklist without distraction.

After getting the rig setup, the DW and I were able to relax. The DW surprised me by bringing wine. It was a surprise since she is not much of an alcohol drinker. It definitely helped us relax after the drive and setup.

We had a great time at the lake. We rented a jetski on Saturday and a kayak on Sunday. The DW caught her first bass while I was out on the jetski. It was a nice 1 lb. After that, she caught the fishing bug and spent 90 of the time fishing. I love that.

After renting a kayak, the DW is now wanting to get our own. I am so happy because I have been wanting one for several years now.

The oldest boy, 13, spent 90 of the time in the RV watching videos and texting. The youngest, 9, spent 90 of the time in the water and fishing. I spent 90 of my time sitting in my chair watching the DW, the boys, and the dogs enjoy camping. I sat there with the biggest smile on my face.

We have another camping trip planned for the 4th of July week in Florida but the wife wants to do another camping trip at this same lake at the end of June. We kept a list of things we needed to add to our trip and things to take out that we didn't use. Most of everything is just getting better organized inside.

We did remember to walk around to all the other sites to see other sites that we would prefer. We were on a secluded site away from everyone but too close to the general use beach. We would rather stay with other RV'ers. Too much truck and car traffic by day users directly next to our site. Plus the site we were on had too much of a slope for us to enjoy sitting under the canopy.

Overall it was a very successful first outing with the family.

*sorry for all the edits. Apparently Rv.net doesn't like percentage symbols.
2018 Grand Design Solitude 379FLS
16 REPLIES 16

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
chag67 wrote:
accsys wrote:
I haven't seen anyone mention Gunter Hill COE which is in your neighborhood. We love COE parks as they are always on a lake and you can frequently get a lakefront site with a little planning. If you have the old timers pass from the National Park system, they also give you half-price camping. The only downside is most sites do not have sewer hookups up but do have electric and water. They do have a dump station on the way out.

I tent camped there several years ago when I owned a small boat. Great campsites and I was able to "dock" my boat at my campsite. Boat ramp (at the time) was clean and very wide. The sites, if I remember correctly, were pretty spacious. It was very wooded so don't expect any satellite tv reception.

The CATOMA campground now has about 75 50 amp, FHU sites - pretty good for a COE.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
I haven't seen anyone mention Gunter Hill COE which is in your neighborhood. We love COE parks as they are always on a lake and you can frequently get a lakefront site with a little planning. If you have the old timers pass from the National Park system, they also give you half-price camping. The only downside is most sites do not have sewer hookups up but do have electric and water. They do have a dump station on the way out.

I tent camped there several years ago when I owned a small boat. Great campsites and I was able to "dock" my boat at my campsite. Boat ramp (at the time) was clean and very wide. The sites, if I remember correctly, were pretty spacious. It was very wooded so don't expect any satellite tv reception.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:

If you like to really get away check out Coleman Lake Campground in the Talladega National Forest, North of Heflin. $14 A night for 50amp srvice. It is in the middle on nowhere, quiet, nice lake and great hiking.

Coleman looks very isolated. I think we would love it. We will plan a trip after September. The lake is only open for swimming until September due to recent restocking of the lake. Spots look level and spacious and very quiet.

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
You must have edited your original post some more, there's much more detail now than what I could read earlier today.

I see your wife brought along a surprise bottle of wine! That's really special of her to do that.

We have a "tradition" after some 30 plus years of camping, from the back of the pick-up to tents to the pop-up to 3 different travel trailers.... on the first camp out of the season, we always bring a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers. The first night we arrive at the first camp of the year, we have the wine and cheese and crackers for supper. It's the only time we camp where we attempt to make things a bit more elegant, with wine glasses --- real glass, and nice plates. We make a first toast to a happy and successful camping season and say a little prayer for happy blessings with each camp out we do for the year.

This has just become a tradition for us. Sometimes that first camp out of the year is the week of March 10 (our anniversary), when we have become accustom to going to South Carolina for the week. Or it may be later in the year, whenever the "first" for the new year is.

Another tradition we've done for the last 30 years is the first MORNING of the first camp out of the season.... we always have T-bone steak and eggs and hash browns for breakfast. We've not missed this in over 30 years now.

Your wife has started a new tradition for you too. First camp of the season, bring that really special bottle of wine and enjoy the success of the start of a new camping season!

Love your traditions but the bottle of wine will be an EVERY camping trip tradition. lol

chag67
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
chag67 wrote:
We looked at Wind Creek. It didn't appeal to us. Very crowded and didn't look like it had much to do if you don't own a boat. Mainly, we like a bit more space with 3 dogs in tow.

I may be wrong though.

Go outside of the holidays if you can. Great sites on the water and not sitting on top of your neighbors. Sites B99 and B100 are our two favorite. They have usually have live music Friday or Saturday nights, game room, ice cream stand, camp store and kids activities throughout the summer. $27 for 30 amp and $54 for the new 50amp full service section. Our two dogs enjoy long walks look g at the other RV's.

If you like to really get away check out Coleman Lake Campground in the Talladega National Forest, North of Heflin. $14 A night for 50amp srvice. It is in the middle on nowhere, quiet, nice lake and great hiking.

Thanks for the tip. We will definitely try out Coleman Lake Campground. And we will likely try out Wind Creek at least once. We've already scheduled another trip to Lake Martin. The wife really loves the RV. I'm so glad because it is a major expense to not enjoy more than a few times a year.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
chag67 wrote:
We looked at Wind Creek. It didn't appeal to us. Very crowded and didn't look like it had much to do if you don't own a boat. Mainly, we like a bit more space with 3 dogs in tow.

I may be wrong though.

Go outside of the holidays if you can. Great sites on the water and not sitting on top of your neighbors. Sites B99 and B100 are our two favorite. They have usually have live music Friday or Saturday nights, game room, ice cream stand, camp store and kids activities throughout the summer. $27 for 30 amp and $54 for the new 50amp full service section. Our two dogs enjoy long walks look g at the other RV's.

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You must have edited your original post some more, there's much more detail now than what I could read earlier today.

I see your wife brought along a surprise bottle of wine! That's really special of her to do that.

We have a "tradition" after some 30 plus years of camping, from the back of the pick-up to tents to the pop-up to 3 different travel trailers.... on the first camp out of the season, we always bring a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers. The first night we arrive at the first camp of the year, we have the wine and cheese and crackers for supper. It's the only time we camp where we attempt to make things a bit more elegant, with wine glasses --- real glass, and nice plates. We make a first toast to a happy and successful camping season and say a little prayer for happy blessings with each camp out we do for the year.

This has just become a tradition for us. Sometimes that first camp out of the year is the week of March 10 (our anniversary), when we have become accustom to going to South Carolina for the week. Or it may be later in the year, whenever the "first" for the new year is.

Another tradition we've done for the last 30 years is the first MORNING of the first camp out of the season.... we always have T-bone steak and eggs and hash browns for breakfast. We've not missed this in over 30 years now.

Your wife has started a new tradition for you too. First camp of the season, bring that really special bottle of wine and enjoy the success of the start of a new camping season!

LittleRedGoat
Explorer
Explorer
If the boys want to help we let them otherwise I get their bikes out of the camper or truck and they get to explore the campground
2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW, 4wd
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7l, swb, 4wd(old)
2013 V-Cross 295VRK

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
chag67 wrote:

I may be wrong though.

Killjoy

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully your oldest boy will put down the phone and live in the real world instead of a virtual reality.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you and family had an awesome time. Those memories will never be forgotten. Glad wife had a great time...that means she will want to go more. Sounds like your children are old enough to do some setting up chores and helping then to break camp. They would have a good teacher.

I camped next to a father teaching his about 5 year old son, how to store the shore power cord. I even learned something...

Many fun filled trips wished for you and your family.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you had a successful first trip. It's a pleasant way to spend some quality time .

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your trip. Hope this is the first of many, many, many more to come.

Depending on how old your boys are, you could have then start the campfire while you are setting up. ... um... given the matches and wet wood. It will keep them busy for hours!