cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Escaping summer heat while in the southwest?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We leave soon and without plans will be wandering Texas, NM, Arizona, Southern Utah and Colorado. Not our choice time of year, but its the window we're given.

We have other reasons to be as far south as New Orleans, so our trip starts and ends there.

We know what we're doing for about two weeks of the six. Cajun country, San Antonio, Big Bend, Carlsbad, White Sands.

Beyond that, we'd love to do some moderate boondocking (travel trailer) in the desert.

Main question....Where are the isolated spots of high elevation in these states that can give some relief to the heat?

Not asking for anyone's honey hole, but specific places of "cooler weather" in those states would be very much appreciated. Of course Colorado has obvious options, but what about those other states?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
42 REPLIES 42

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
You are right on the money about how elevation helps with temperature. A couple of years ago I was in Phoenix and it was 113 that night the weatherman (they do the whole state) said it would be 114 in Phoenix and 72 in Flagstaff. Guess where we headed in the morning.
Bill
Several years ago, we stopped at Havasu City to break up our trip from Ca to GC, We experienced the same sort of thing, We left Havasu at 115 degrees and got to the South Rim of GC 82 degrees. If we ever get back out that way again, we'll go to the North Rim.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Discussions on "how to camp and be comfortable in the high heat seasons" always leave me scratching my head.

i.e.:

Considering what RVs cost, probably no one would buy one without built-in A/C and usually a built-in generator to run it ... yet the bulk of owners try to avoid high temperature camping at all costs ... especially without hookups. And in addition, some (of us) campers don't function well at high altitudes.

Many of our best trips have been across the U.S. during the summer months, including the Southern U.S. at non-high altitudes. Part of what made them good trips was the lack of crowds in or near our camping spots -> I assume due primarily due to the high outside temperatures.

Since our RV is adequately self-contained with it's quiet-enough generator and an interior that can be curtained off in sections to maximize A/C cooling (and heating) efficiencies, we don't have to within reason let high-altitudes, cool seasons, or warm seasons dictate our camping.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mcbender wrote:
We have 60 acres of beautiful farmland and trees. 1 hour from Mt Rainier. In SW Washington. If youโ€™d like to escape the heat we have room in exchange for a little farm help or property caretaking.
They are 5 years older now, so they may not be able to! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Mcbender
Explorer
Explorer
We have 60 acres of beautiful farmland and trees. 1 hour from Mt Rainier. In SW Washington. If youโ€™d like to escape the heat we have room in exchange for a little farm help or property caretaking.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
North Rim, in the NF. JMO and a bunch of others.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
If you still plan on passing thru AZ I would stay away from the desert. Even if your AC works it will not keep up in the desert heat. If you want true boondocking, get off I17 between Munds Park and Flagstaff and hit any forest service road and look for a spot to camp. Elevation will be 6,500ft plus there. Right now in the 90's during this heat spell but its still 30* cooler than Phoenix and the nights will cool down, not to mention you will have shade in the pines. If you go to the North Rim you can camp anywhere near Jacob Lake and enjoy more free boondocking camping in the national forest. I avoid campgrounds as I love the quiet isolation that the forest can offer and did I mention FREE camping.
BTW, if you do goto the north rim stop on the east side of the Colorado river crossing, you will have room to park your camper and can walk out on the old bridge over the river, beautiful view and worth the stop. If you like hiking there is a 2.5-3 hour round trip that will take you to the bottom nearby.

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
Ruby's Inn, adjacent to Bryce Canyon in Southern Utah.
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need http://www.rvparky.com/ and http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, there are 3 parks. We researched them all. There is only one with power, and that one is completely closed. We stayed at Chisos Basin, which typically gives some relief due to elevation. It didn't. There was also some massive gnat hatch due to rain. Miserable.

We are now in Guatelupe and it is wonderful. I'm ready to make lemonade again!

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
tragusa3 wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
Trying to Salvage this Trip!

I feel like I really let my family down with this trip... We finally arrived at Big Bend and the temperature was 110 as we climbed the mountain into Chisos Basin to sleep with no A/C. We left that next morning, realizing that it just isn't safe.

We headed north towards Carlsbad, but see no relief when looking at the weather map.

To top it off, we purchased my wife an airline ticket home from Phoenix, figuring we would end the trip their. This airline ticket pretty much eliminates the option of heading up to Colorado/Wyoming where the temperatures are reasonable.

I know...what did I expect? I expected hot, but look at the national temperature map, it's hotter than usual, even at elevation.

Why are you "sleeping with no AC?" Doesn't your AC on your trailer work?
Bill

The campground in Big Bend with hookups was closed due to maintenance.

Which campground? There are 3 in the park. Did you call and make reservations? Just showing up without reservations in remote areas is not the best practise.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
In West Texas, Guadalupe Natl Monument with lows in the 50s to 60s range at night.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the encouragement. I woke up feeling a bit more positive about it.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
Trying to Salvage this Trip!

I feel like I really let my family down with this trip... We finally arrived at Big Bend and the temperature was 110 as we climbed the mountain into Chisos Basin to sleep with no A/C. We left that next morning, realizing that it just isn't safe.

We headed north towards Carlsbad, but see no relief when looking at the weather map.

To top it off, we purchased my wife an airline ticket home from Phoenix, figuring we would end the trip their. This airline ticket pretty much eliminates the option of heading up to Colorado/Wyoming where the temperatures are reasonable.

I know...what did I expect? I expected hot, but look at the national temperature map, it's hotter than usual, even at elevation.

Why are you "sleeping with no AC?" Doesn't your AC on your trailer work?
Bill

The campground in Big Bend with hookups was closed due to maintenance.

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
If you're in Carlsbad go north to Artesia then west to Cloudcroft. It's usually 20 to 30 degrees cooler up there.
I need some wild