cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer has Started! Let's swap Potato Salad recipes

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
I rarely eat white potatoes anymore for a variety of health and dietary reasons now so when I do treat myself the eating has to be extra good.
This is my all time favorite potato salad recipe that brings fond memories of my Virginia raised Nana's salad:

State Fair Potato Salad
Bon Appรฉtit July 2002

Yield
Makes 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

3 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, peeled, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1/4 cup juices from jar of sweet pickles
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup buttermilk
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped sweet pickles

Preparation

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain; transfer to large bowl. Drizzle pickle juices over potatoes and toss gently. Cool to room temperature.
Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, sugar, and pepper in medium bowl to blend. Pour over potatoes. Add eggs, onion, celery, and pickles and toss gently to blend. Season to taste with salt. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

Cook's Notes:

I make it and leave it to rest overnight with no ill effects instead of the suggested 8 hours. The compromise used in my home is half dill and half sweet pickles so both the man and I am happy. As well I make sure to use a sweet pickle with spices and herbs floating in it. Love to get a bite of brined mustard seeds in my mouth.Yummm!

So what is your fav recipe?
18 REPLIES 18

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
My friends always request that I make potato salad for gatherings and am asked for my recipe a lot.

5# russet potatoes, cooked in salted water with the skins on, then peeled and chopped into about ยฝโ€ chunks while warm.
1 dozen hard cooked eggs coarsely chopped
finely chopped Vidalia onion to taste
chopped celery to taste
pickle relish to taste, either sweet or dill depending on personal preference
black pepper to taste
You can add (or omit) anything else you want.

Dressing:
1 quart salad dressing (not mayonnaise) I buy house brands.
ยฝ cup sugar
2 TBSP to ยผ cup prepared mustard depending on your taste
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk.

Mix together and pour over warm potato mix. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Tastes best if allowed a day to marinate.

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
My wife makes the best potato salad I have ever consumed. She has no written recipe. It's made by taste. She has had requests to make it for graduations, weddings, etc because it is so good. All I can tell you is that it contains potatoes, hard boiled eggs, onions, and a mustard based sauce. The worse potato salad she ever made was still excellent.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Steve B. wrote:
OK people, where's the bacon? If I have it on hand, I add some chopped bacon to my potatoes, hb eggs, celery, mayo. In season I also add some raw peas. The pre-cooked chopped bacon is also good, and easier. I'm not an onion lover so I add chives or maybe some mild green onions, thinly sliced.

Green onions in Potato Salad sounds great. I'll bet fresh garlic green/chives would be good too.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
OK people, where's the bacon? If I have it on hand, I add some chopped bacon to my potatoes, hb eggs, celery, mayo. In season I also add some raw peas. The pre-cooked chopped bacon is also good, and easier. I'm not an onion lover so I add chives or maybe some mild green onions, thinly sliced.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Potatoes, celery, radishes, diced onions, hard boiled eggs, chives, Mayo, added some ranch dressing once when I did not have enough mayo and it was great, No recipe just add until it looks right.

Had to eat some made with mashed potatoes once and did not care for it but some people raved about it.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aaaahhhh Potato Salad! As controversial as Worship in the Christian Church! I grew up with one kind of potato salad..........my dad's. Chopped pickles, onions, mustard(not much), hard boiled eggs, russet spuds(duh), and mayo.....no light mayo here. Then one time a neighbor brought over some potato salad made with nothing but russet spuds, mayo, sweet pickle relish and a light sprinkling of cayenne pepper over the top.........amazing! Then!!!!!!!!!......my wife found a recipe that is made with cooked sliced red potatoes, gutted-chopped jalapeno, cilantro and mayo. That one is outrageous.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

SARGUY
Explorer
Explorer
I make mine similar to most of these recipes with potatoes, celery. chopped onion, eggs, mayo and some mustard. Also add some thinly sliced radishes, adds some color and taste too.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
chuckm99 wrote:
3-4 potatos, cubed, boiled in salty water, drain, cool down.
3-4 slices bacon, fried sorta crispy, then chopped up. (or use bacon bits)
1-2 ribs celery, chopped small.
1/2 cup shredded cheese (or so).
Mayo to taste, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup.
Little bit of mustard, maybe 1 tbs.
Little bit of sour cream, maybe 1 tbs.
Salt, pepper.

Some people want onion, but I like it without.

This plus onion, celery seed and seasoning salt.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

chuckm99
Explorer
Explorer
3-4 potatos, cubed, boiled in salty water, drain, cool down.
3-4 slices bacon, fried sorta crispy, then chopped up. (or use bacon bits)
1-2 ribs celery, chopped small.
1/2 cup shredded cheese (or so).
Mayo to taste, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup.
Little bit of mustard, maybe 1 tbs.
Little bit of sour cream, maybe 1 tbs.
Salt, pepper.

Some people want onion, but I like it without.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
PS: love German Potato Salad served warm:
2 pounds potatoes.
bacon chopped onion.
third cup white vinegar.
fourth cup sugar 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
tsp salt
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Potato Salad: potatoes, onion, sweet relish, boiled eggs, yellow mustard and mayo salt and pepper. Don't care for celery. We never had it when I was a child anyway. Sometimes I substitute olives instead of sweet relish.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Any potato salad can be improved with the addition of sliced green olives.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I make regular potato salad any of the ways above depending on what I have in stock. I have also started making Bacon & Cheddar potato salad. In any quantity you want: Red potatoes, onion, chopped hard boiled egg, shredded cheddar, real bacon bits or cooked crumbled bacon. Dressing is to taste - ranch dressing, Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise and sour cream. Chopped cucumber is also very good in this.

Sometimes I sub creme fraiche or sour cream for the buttermilk...kinda depends on what kind of leftovers are in the fridge in need of use:).
Oh right and if I've no red onions on hand regular yellow or Spanish onions will do fine if you lower the sulphur content by rinsing them in cold water after cutting.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I make regular potato salad any of the ways above depending on what I have in stock. I have also started making Bacon & Cheddar potato salad. In any quantity you want: Red potatoes, onion, chopped hard boiled egg, shredded cheddar, real bacon bits or cooked crumbled bacon. Dressing is to taste - ranch dressing, Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise and sour cream. Chopped cucumber is also very good in this.