Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Traveling with a cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Traveling with a cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Hokiehall

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know very few people travel and camp with cats. We have seen a few during our many years camping but not many and they were usually in a motorhome.

We are considering taking our 16 year old cat on a trip. The reason being is the other cats she had here at home have all crossed the Rainbow Bridge and now she is completely alone. We are not sure how she may handle a long period alone. Our neighbors always care for them while we are gone but it is not the same.

Our issue is with the actual traveling. We have a travel trailer and she would have to ride in the truck with us. It is about 6 hours to the beach we are going to and we are not sure how to properly care for her on the long ride. She has already explored the camper and seems OK with it. We are mostly worried about how she may use the bathroom on the road and get plenty of water. We can carry the water in the truck with us but she will be in a carrier for travel. Not sure about a litter box though.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. We are leaning toward leaving her and hope for the best but if some good ideas show up we may go ahead and give it a shot.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does it handle the carrier when taken to the Vet? Assuming it does well then I would put paper towels in the bottom of it and not worry about the litter box thing.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AN enclosure for the cat in the truck would be nice cats like caves.
You might also try Feliway spray in the carrier

DEFINITELY NOT IN THE TRAILER. Caps for emphasis

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Hokiehall

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

darsben1 wrote:

AN enclosure for the cat in the truck would be nice cats like caves.
You might also try Feliway spray in the carrier

DEFINITELY NOT IN THE TRAILER. Caps for emphasis

No, we would not travel with her in the trailer at all.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/17 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there are more and more people travelling with cats, you often don't see them outside, just lounging on the dash of motorhomes. I suspect there are as many in trailers or 5ers.

A six hour trip shouldn't be an issue. When you stop, either take the cat in carrier to the trailer and use the litter box or if there is enough room in the truck, provide the litter box access there during stops.

We didn't take our cat for years and regret that we didn't start earlier as he adjusted so well and really loved the trips we did take.

Doug

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (10 year old Terrier of some sort), Kaiya (8 yr old Golden)
Jill & Henry at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Hokiehall

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

How does it handle the carrier when taken to the Vet? Assuming it does well then I would put paper towels in the bottom of it and not worry about the litter box thing.

She does OK going to the vet but it is only about 20 minutes, not 6 hours. But that is a thought. Thanks

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cats normally only pee once or twice a day, unless they have medical issues. And they are unlikely to be willing to pee in a strange situation.

On a 12 hour drive, I stopped for dinner and left my cat alone in the rig, out of the carrier and with the cat box, but he still did not go. 6 hours, I think she would just hold it.

Consider a large carrier, and I do think it's a good idea to let her of the carrier (inside the truck or trailer), at least when you stop for breaks. 6 hours is a long time to be unable to stretch or walk around. This could also be her pee break if she wants one.

My cat rides in the van without a carrier. He has a hidden nest behind the fridge. Can she have a spot behind the truck seat? Some cats are troublesome if they are free inside the rig, but, especially with an older cat, she may just find a spot and hide, or sit on your lap.

* This post was edited 06/04/17 01:02pm by Naio *

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2oldman

Farmington NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My cat rides in the trailer. She has her own hidey-hole that she comfortably goes to sleep in. She has access to the litter and food.

In the cab in a carrier she howls horribly. I take it that means she's uncomfortable and scared. Do what's best for you and your cat.

doxiemom11

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/17 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are full-time and have seen many many cats in 7 years. Some even walk on a leash just like a dog.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 17 year old rides in the SUV. We start out from the house with the cat in the carrier. By the time we get to the highway he needs to use his box. We stop, wait a couple of minutes, bag it up and off we go. He sleeps outside of the carrier all day long. He's traveled with us from day one. When he sees me hitching up he's jumping in the trailer. We're gonna miss him someday.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Traveling with a cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS