Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Traveling with a cat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Traveling with a cat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/17 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For years our cats traveled on my DW lap. But the cat we have now is a pain in the axx so she travels in the back of the p/up which has a camper shell over the bed. She has her own cat house, food, water and litter box. She loves it back there

samsontdog">">

eichacsj

Tempe, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/17 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our cats (2) like to travel in the TT, They are much happier and when we stop are much calmer then when we have them in he truck.

2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

JFNM

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/17 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is a cat/trailer question but this may help....

I've had two motorhomes with my cat. The first was a front engine gasser and the cat headed to the back bedroom as soon as the engine started. The second was a pusher, he headed to the front of the coach when it's engine started. He was not under any apparent stress in either coach but clearly preferred being "away" from the engine noise/vibration. Oh, he also did not move around much once we were driving - just slept. I'm fairly sure all cats are different so choose whatever yours finds the most relaxing.

JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/17 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a cat that loved to camp with us. We took a litter box that was in the back seat of the truck while we traveled. On the other side of the seat was a box with his blanky on for him to lay on and look out the window.
He was always on a leash in case he tried to get out when the door was open and we wanted to grab the leash and stop him. When husband got out to get gas he sat on my lap.
He learned to go for walks at the campground, sat on his own chair by the fire and every night about eleven he would go the the TT door and ask to go for a walk. When we went to the door he would sit on his leash so we take him.
The one problem with walking him was when he decided he needed to use the litter box he would make a mad dash for for the TT pulling me behind him.
Opie was twelve when he went camping for the first time so you can teach an old cat new tricks.
Opie howled the first ten miles of any trip and then settled down. I think he knew then that we were not going to the vet.

Hokiehall

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/17 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the responses. We took her for about an hour and a half ride yesterday in the truck. She meowed for the first few miles then settled down in her carrier. She never went to sleep and looked anxious most of the time. We still have a couple of weeks before we go to work with her.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/17 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you spent a few weeks driveway camping with her? Does she consider the trailer hervterritory? How about the truck?

I'm sure you are busy, but if you could spend even a few minutes a day in the truck with her, petting her and feeding her treats and telling her she is wonderful it would help her think of the truck as a nice place to be.

Cats don't like to be any place that is not 'theirs'. They think there might be wolves.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/17 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know how we did it, but our two cats don't mind traveling at all with us.

This is the youngest one, Selina who is only about six months old in these pic's. What do you think? She looks tense, huh?

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/17 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

I don't know how we did it, but our two cats don't mind traveling at all with us.

This is the youngest one, Selina who is only about six months old in these pic's. What do you think? She looks tense, huh?
Admit it.. you gave her tranqs! Catnip in the bed??

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/17 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope, that's just the way little Selina rolls [emoticon]

She is a world-class lounger!

She's nine months old now, and her lounging skills have only gotten better [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/17 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think this was physically possible! They sure are supple!

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Cats

> Traveling with a cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS