cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep battery dead after towing

Potcakes
Explorer
Explorer
We flat tow our 2014 Jeep Wrangler and have for years. The last two times we towed, we couldn't start the Jeep without a jump. After the first time I took it to the Jeep dealer and had the battery, alternator, etc. checked and everything was fine. After the first jump, we had no problems at all until we just towed again today and now we have the same issue. The only thing that I an say is different is that one tail light is out when we tow, it is on in normal operation, just out when towing. We have changed nothing else, except to add a battery disconnect after the last time (5 days ago) We towed from FL to NC with multiple stops, no issues, then it happened and now it did it again.

We use a M & G braking system, have had it for years and it works off the airbrakes, so no power going there. So we only have the wiring harness beyond that.

Any ideas? I don't even know where to start on this one!
Potcakes
Just us and the dogs
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
2004 Jeep Wrangler Toad
19 REPLIES 19

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
Another JK owner with 2011 reporting no steering wheel lock. Pull the key, lock the transfer case in neutral and transmission in 6th. Oh, parking brake off - don't want to forget that ya' know.

When I was towing a 2006 Wrangler, I put the transfer case in Neutral AFTER I connected the towbar to the motorhome. That way, the Jeep was held firmly in place, so no need to set the parking brake. If the brake isn't set, you can't forget to release it.
Besides, IMO it was MUCH easier to move the Jeep to the motorhome than to back the motorhome to the Jeep!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Another JK owner with 2011 reporting no steering wheel lock. Pull the key, lock the transfer case in neutral and transmission in 6th. Oh, parking brake off - don't want to forget that ya' know.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
My 2014 Wrangler does not have steering lock. I pull the key ....

Wrangler's after 2008 (and some 2008s) do NOT have a steering wheel lock. Put it in park after the transfer case is in N and pull the key.

Problem solved.

Bill
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
IT_Burnout wrote:
"when your disconnect is on the negative, the battery can't be discharged. it is making a ground some how.

I agree, which makes you wonder if the cutoff switch has some continuity through it somehow. The Parasitic test would help to prove that out if its performed. I bet either the minute you plug in the MH the meter would show a current draw. Or if something else is wired direct to the battery and touching the battery side of the disconnected switch. That could in effect provide a ground path back through that connected devise and be working right around the disconnected switch to provide a ground. I also agree just physically disconnecting the negative side of the battery cable would probably stop the whole issue.

Read above, he said they put the switch in after it went dead the first time. the late models like the 17s are a circuit board nightmare for old mechanics like me.
I'd call "cool Tech" and have a talk.

cool tech
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
"when your disconnect is on the negative, the battery can't be discharged. it is making a ground some how.

I agree, which makes you wonder if the cutoff switch has some continuity through it somehow. The Parasitic test would help to prove that out if its performed. I bet either the minute you plug in the MH the meter would show a current draw. Or if something else is wired direct to the battery and touching the battery side of the disconnected switch. That could in effect provide a ground path back through that connected devise and be working right around the disconnected switch to provide a ground. I also agree just physically disconnecting the negative side of the battery cable would probably stop the whole issue.
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Potcakes wrote:
I will check for a fuse, I"m not sure about that.

We have the battery disconnect to on the negative, but since it only happens when we are towing and it happened before and after the disconnect being put on, I suspect it must be in the wiring harness. I think I have the old harness from a previous MH and Jeep, so I may try to see if that will work and cause the same problem. If it does, then I think the problem must be in the motorhome part.......of course this plan only works if the old harness fits!

So, a short somewhere could cause the battery to drain in 5 or 6 hours, even if we have the battery disconnected (the negative side)? Is that correct?

when your disconnect is on the negative, the battery can't be discharged. it is making a ground some how.
you must isolate the battery post. we remove the battery cable each time and place a plastic cap over the negative post.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you are disconnecting the ground from the battery, you have a bad battery.
Have you checked your battery disconnect switch to make sure it is operating?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2014 Wrangler does not have steering lock. I pull the key ....
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
IT_Burnout wrote:
Just a suggestion, I would do a parasitic amp draw test on the toad by itself then do it hooked up to the MH.

An even better suggestion:
He SAID that the battery went dead WHILE DISCONNECTED.
If that is true, ignore all of this because the battery is bad.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion, I would do a parasitic amp draw test on the toad by itself then do it hooked up to the MH.

Itโ€™s a pretty easy test to do. Buy a cheap multimeter with (auto-ranging is easiest to understand) with an amp port, you can get one from Amazon for under $25.00. Then hook your meter in series with the negative side of the battery to measure for amperage. Not in parallel with the battery to measure for voltage. Set you meter accordingly. Take a look at this youtube video and he goes through the process on what you need to do. Also take a look at this video you want to be careful with the meter leads when you are done measuring amps put you test leads back in the voltage ports so you donโ€™t cause another problem which he explains. You can get the amp prob he suggests, or not, you just need to take some care when performing the process.

Start out with the toad unhooked everything powered down and in a condition where you know the battery doesnโ€™t get drained. So you should see a normal current draw. Then hook up to the MH and see at point your current draw ramps up. Then start disconnecting things or pulling fuse until you zero on what is causing the draw and back track that circuit to see if you can find the issue. You might be able to get a fix on what is happening relatively inexpensively.

If nothing else once you change something (cable, ect)you won't be shooting in the dark so much. You should see some change is amp draw.

Bob
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Potcakes wrote:

So, a short somewhere could cause the battery to drain in 5 or 6 hours, even if we have the battery disconnected (the negative side)? Is that correct?

No. Absolutely, positively NO.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Potcakes
Explorer
Explorer
I will check for a fuse, I"m not sure about that.

We have the battery disconnect to on the negative, but since it only happens when we are towing and it happened before and after the disconnect being put on, I suspect it must be in the wiring harness. I think I have the old harness from a previous MH and Jeep, so I may try to see if that will work and cause the same problem. If it does, then I think the problem must be in the motorhome part.......of course this plan only works if the old harness fits!

Potcakes
Just us and the dogs
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
2004 Jeep Wrangler Toad

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
What wiring harness do you have?

some how the battery is finding a ground, or the opposite, to complete the circuit.

We remove the ( - ) and isolate it with an old plastic cap.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does the MH have separate fuses for the trailer connector?
Yes, a loose wire in a connector could be causing fault. Normally this should blow a fuse as light outages indicate.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker