Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Coleman Airxcel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/17 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, here we go again.

We have 2 - 13.5K BTU Heat Pumps on our 2012 Winnebago Vista. The front unit quit cooling (gradually less cool until no cool) last year at the end of the season, so we plodded along using only the rear unit until April when we had the bad unit replaced to the tune of $1000+.

We just came back from New Orleans and guess what? The back unit does the same (gradually less cool until no cool). I suppose we are going to have to drop another grand to get the back unit replaced as well.

I compare this to the 13.5K Coleman Mach AC unit in our old TT. That thing was a beast, never a hiccup after 14 years of abuse bouncing from one end of the US to the other!

I plan on sending a letter to the Coleman Company FWIW just to let them know that I am not pleased with their product.

[emoticon]

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. New base Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/17 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are on our 4th front Coleman Heat-pump in 12+ years of fulltiming, our rear Heat-pump has never failed us, other than putting in a hard start capacitor about 10 years ago. Both are the larger BTU output units.

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/17 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if the issue is the fact that these are heat pump units which have more parts that could fail and blow the freon charge.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/17 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vjstangelo wrote:

I wonder if the issue is the fact that these are heat pump units which have more parts that could fail and blow the freon charge.

They are copper sealed systems. The only added part on the sealed system on a Heat Pump is the Reversing valve. Remember, Unlike standard COLD AC units, HP's run double duty. They HEAT and COOL, which doubles their operation. My old HP at Home, they have a service life of 10 years. Most Home AC units have at least 15 to 20 year life span. Still, the RV HP should last at least 5 years. Also, unlike HOME systems, the RV systems have to contend with widely variable 120 current. LOW current harms compressors and components and sadly, LOW 120 current problems happen all over the USA at RV parks. Doug

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/17 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Dometic 15K heat pump on my 2014 TT was made in China and only lasted three years until all the Freon leaked out. The new unit is noticeably quieter inside and out and of a different design (still made in China), the compressor is vertical instead of horizontal. Hope it lasts a little longer than the last one.

I remember when all the RV A/C's were made in the US and lasted for decades, sadly, not anymore [emoticon]

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/17 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 many 2 wrote:

The Dometic 15K heat pump on my 2014 TT was made in China and only lasted three years until all the Freon leaked out. The new unit is noticeably quieter inside and out and of a different design (still made in China), the compressor is vertical instead of horizontal. Hope it lasts a little longer than the last one.

I remember when all the RV A/C's were made in the US and lasted for decades, sadly, not anymore [emoticon]

There are MANY things doing the exact same thing. Even in home appliances. [emoticon] We really need to get back to made in the USA. My hope is it lasts you longer too, as three years is pathetic.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/17 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, $1000 for a new heat pump and $100 installation. Without looking, our mechanic estimated $400 to repair (best guess), but no warranty. Once again will bite the bullet and go new with the 2 year warranty.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/17 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. While Dometic is built in China, they are built to DOMETIC's specs and parts
2. Dometic was built in Mexico until the plant burned down a few years ago
3. Dometic was originally built in La Grange, Indiana until they moved the plant to Mexico.
4. According to BOTH RVP and Dometic, the higher failure rate has to do with mandated 410 instead of Freon 22 and the 410 runs at higher pressures and they had a learning curve on getting the compressors built for longer term operation( BLAME the Government for banning Freon)
5. RVP(Coleman) is built in Wichita, Kansas.
6. Dometic has the Lion Share of the business, so, you will see a higher failure rate.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/17 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YOu say it starts out cool but as it runs less and less cool?

When was the last time you went, as the song is titled "Up On The Roof" and removed the covers and cleaned the condenser coils?

IF more than six months.. GET CLEANING. in fact more than one month, check it to see if it needs cleaning.

You got to clean the coils? Yes. or spend 1,000 dollars fairly often.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/17 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

YOu say it starts out cool but as it runs less and less cool?

When was the last time you went, as the song is titled "Up On The Roof" and removed the covers and cleaned the condenser coils?

IF more than six months.. GET CLEANING. in fact more than one month, check it to see if it needs cleaning.

You got to clean the coils? Yes. or spend 1,000 dollars fairly often.

Good point. I will get up on the roof and inspect the Condenser Coils this weekend. I already inspected the evaporator coils and they were clean.

FWIW, the evaporator coils were not cool when I inspected them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.