cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALERT

D_D_Wanderers
Explorer
Explorer
Just traveled from Lake Louise, Alberta to the Columbia Ice Fields on Alberta highway #93 and stopped for gas at "The Crossing Gas Station" to fill up. The price was not on the pumps, but I was low and needed gas. After filling and going to pay I find the price was $1.549 per liter. The price in Calgary and Banff was $1.02 to $1.05. I feel this is a gross act of exploiting the tourists and a poor way to greet our international visitors.
D & D
Cummins pushin Newmar
27 REPLIES 27

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
GasBuddy is your friend.

Kroger at 2,800 locations is our friend with fuel discounts up to 35 gallons. We buy HD, etc 4x points (when available) gift cards. They have hundreds of cards and it's a no brainer if I'm going to shop at those stores anyways. One downside is to use and don't lose those cards. Another downside is few cars take 35 gallons and you lose the balance but our MH sucks up 35 gallons of diesel easily.

Kroger, Cala Foods, City Markets, Copps, Dillons, FoodsCo, Fred Meyer Stores, Fry's, King Soopers, Mariano's Fresh Market, Metro Market, Pick 'n Save, Quality Food Centers (a.k.a. QFC), Ralphs, Food 4 Less, and Smith's Food and Drug. You get the points and some locations may not have a fuel station.

2800 Locations.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
This is not exclusive to Canada. We have a gas station out by the interstate that charges $.50 cents a gallon more then stations in town. Two new stations were built and hopefully take all his business with the cheapest price around.

The person exploited travelers for years.

Exploited? You've never paid more for a c/g in a nice or exclusive location? Maybe an over-priced meal at a certain restaurant because of what it was or were it was?

Somebody invested a lot of money to buy or build a gas station, if they're willing to take the gamble that higher prices will pay off, why shouldn't they? They don't have armed men on the interstate forcing people into that station do they?

As a self-employed person it never ceases to amaze me when I run across such attitudes, every person thinks they should make the most money, but pay the least amount of money.

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
You have to remember that some of these place in the Rockies and Alaska Highway are in remote areas. It cost a lot to deliver gasoline to these outlets. Also, some have no power and run their pumps on diesel generators which adds to the cost. Be happy you can buy gas at these places. Otherwise you would be out of luck.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
This is not exclusive to Canada. We have a gas station out by the interstate that charges $.50 cents a gallon more then stations in town. Two new stations were built and hopefully take all his business with the cheapest price around.

How do you exploit someone with the absolute freedom to move on to another business to buy what they need.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
DogTrainer wrote:
Driving 100,000 dollar rigs and trucks and even more expensive units and yet we complain.

I was in Colorado one year and drifted into a Indian gas station in the middle of nowhere and I thanked the Lord they had gas. Wow and no Walmart for 200 miles...

As one poster said, take a moment, don't complain and use it while you fuel up to look around at the beautiful scenery.

If you still don't like it sell your stuff and build a gas station and sell it for 25 cent a gallon.

I can't speak for anybody else but my rig isn't anywhere near $100,000. In this country we have what is called the 1st Amendment and are able to complain all we want.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
By the way I am full blooded Canadian and born in Canada...
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Driving 100,000 dollar rigs and trucks and even more expensive units and yet we complain.

I was in Colorado one year and drifted into a Indian gas station in the middle of nowhere and I thanked the Lord they had gas. Wow and no Walmart for 200 miles...

As one poster said, take a moment, don't complain and use it while you fuel up to look around at the beautiful scenery.

If you still don't like it sell your stuff and build a gas station and sell it for 25 cent a gallon.
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure the price was posted last time I was there. Too high; I didn't buy any.

I encountered very high prices in northern Saskatchewan (north of Lac La Ronge) where they had the same setup - a relatively small tank above ground, obviously operating with very small volume. These locations probably aren't served by the big company tanker trucks. They may well be offering a sort of emergency only service at cost rather than trying to make money. When I think of it that way, I very much appreciate it. Note that the Columbia Icefields Discovery Center doesn't bother to supply fuel to its thousands of customers. Maybe you could score 5 gallons if you were desperate, and happily pay $50 for it.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
sljohnson1938 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
D&D Wonderers wrote:
The price was not on the pumps, but I was low and needed gas. After filling and going to pay I find the price was $1.549 per liter.

It's not legal in Canada to not have the price displayed at the pump.

why is it illegal to post the price?

makes no sense to me.

Making a comment without reading the post being responded to makes no sense either, but still people do it .......

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
D&D Wonderers wrote:
The price was not on the pumps, but I was low and needed gas. After filling and going to pay I find the price was $1.549 per liter.

why is it illegal to post the price? what reason could they have?
would you buy a loaf of bread without knowing the price until you got to the check out? does a restaurant not show the price of a meal on the menu? oh, by the way , the hamburger you just ate cost $15.00.

makes no sense to me.

Good morning. Think you may have read it again as the poster used a double negative to express his thought. He said, It is NOT legal to NOT have the price displayed at the pump. Or said another way, It is illegal to not have the price posted. 🙂
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
D&D Wonderers wrote:

why is it illegal to post the price? what reason could they have?
would you buy a loaf of bread without knowing the price until you got to the check out? does a restaurant not show the price of a meal on the menu? oh, by the way , the hamburger you just ate cost $15.00.

makes no sense to me.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I never felt ripped off at the Crossing. There are reasons for the high prices there. On one occasion I was suddenly too sick to drive and heavy snow made DW very nervous - we were sure glad to find a room at the Crossing, and the off season price was pretty reasonable.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
When I decide to fill in an out of the way place, I just think they thank me for a fill. I appreciate they are there, way out in the wilderness, and someday they may come in really handy.

I never quibble the price, I just say "Thank you for being here!" and tell them how much I love their special place. Makes me feel good.

Yeah, but you're a Canadian, and you guys are famous for being polite and even saying you're sorry. 🙂

And I recall paying $6 (CA) in Teslin for a gallon of water two summers ago.