cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lippert/Schwentec slide lube

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2015 Winnebago Vista 26. Found a utube video that showed how to lube the slide mechanism. They seemed to make it fairly easy to lube the parts, but when I pull back the rubber weather seal, there is no way I can get the red straw bent around. There is simply no room to get it in; I put it in as far as I could and soaked everything. Appears to need a longer flexible tube you can bend around. Does any one have any suggestions??
9 REPLIES 9

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
ng2951 wrote:
Not according the Lippert video. On the video they show only lubing from outside. Then their tech says after lubing the outside coupler, "do the same procedure on the inside..." it is at 2:05 into this video.

https://youtu.be/gXw9I_DoAvI
Don't care what the Video shows...Doug
Mark wrote:
I have a 2011 Holiday Rambler vacationer with Schwintech (sp?) slides. Mine squeak in and out. AND when the big slide is nearing full extention it goes really slow. When I put it in, it almost doesn't move then SLOWLY comes in about a foot before going faster. I'm afraid the motor will burn out eventually? What can I do, or is it normal? Thanks Mark
No that does not sound normal to me.

I am not sure what Doug recommends...and maybe I am misinterpreting him so let him respond with his recommendations.

My problem was occurring on retraction, but its symptoms were similar to yours. I could not get the system to close the last 6 inches because the slideout was canting. The only way I could get it to close was to pull on the extended side. No matter how many times I resynced the system it would not fully close.

I did check, and the system was square when extended every time. It was on retraction it had problems.

Before I lube any I would check and make certain the tracks are clear of debris, and that nothing has gotten wedged under the slideout (shoes, toys, etc). I would also spray the seal around the slideout as the mixture also lowered the drag of the gasket/seal.

One other thing to check is if you have a awning over the slideout make sure it is running correctly and not dragging on the slideout.

I think Doug may be right about not lubing the inside couplers. The reason why is there are only 4 couplers not 8, so lubing the inside is really superfluous. The only advantage I see to lubing both sides of the bearing and Gibb is that you are sure to get both sides. Truth is once you get the technique right you are really getting both sides of the couplers.

I would agree that lubing the rack that the gear uses to move the slideout is likely not a good idea. That rack should only need to be cleaned debris and such. Lubing it, will only attract debris and gouge the surfaces. Personally, I think that is where all the confusion on lubing the system lies. Lube the couplers yes, lube the tracks no.

That is probably why Lippert keeps the video up on lubing the couplers up on YouTube. That is the part that needs lubing.

What I can say about using the recommended CRC Power Lube with PTFE, is that I could not retract the slideout before I applied it to the couplers. Now I can retract the slideout and it does it faster too.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

MarkieBob
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
ng2951 wrote:
Not according the Lippert video. On the video they show only lubing from outside. Then their tech says after lubing the outside coupler, "do the same procedure on the inside..." it is at 2:05 into this video.

Don't care what the Video shows. You need to understand that for years LCI stated to NOT install any lube on this system. Then at a Training class at our dealership years ago, the LCI Trainer also stated NO LUBE AT ALL. I then showed him LCI's You Tube video that you list and he was very surprised. I have probably replaced at least 50 sets or more of the complete rack system over the years as well as rebuilt a few. I KNOW where the parts are that need the Lube. And those parts are easily lubed from the outside IF you know what you are doing. Doug

I have a 2011 Holiday Rambler vacationer with Schwintech (sp?) slides. Mine squeak in and out. AND when the big slide is nearing full extention it goes really slow. When I put it in, it almost doesn't move then SLOWLY comes in about a foot before going faster. I'm afraid the motor will burn out eventually? What can I do, or is it normal? Thanks Mark
2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ng2951 wrote:

Don't care what the Video shows. You need to understand that for years LCI stated to NOT install any lube on this system. Then at a Training class at our dealership years ago, the LCI Trainer also stated NO LUBE AT ALL. I then showed him LCI's You Tube video that you list and he was very surprised. I have probably replaced at least 50 sets or more of the complete rack system over the years as well as rebuilt a few. I KNOW where the parts are that need the Lube. And those parts are easily lubed from the outside IF you know what you are doing. Doug

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer

2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ng2951 wrote:
...The Red tube is more than long enough to get to the roller and nylon block assbly...
Not always. If the interior wall is to close you cannot get the lube can in the right position to apply.

I could lube 7 of the 8 bearing gibb assy. I would need arms almost a foot longer to reach the bottom bearing gibb assy.

The lubing is done from the OUTSIDE, not the inside. Doug

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
...The Red tube is more than long enough to get to the roller and nylon block assbly...
Not always. If the interior wall is to close you cannot get the lube can in the right position to apply.

I could lube 7 of the 8 bearing gibb assy. I would need arms almost a foot longer to reach the bottom bearing gibb assy.
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You are doing it wrong. The Red tube is more than long enough to get to the roller and nylon block assbly. Watch the video a few more times. Doug

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
You can also buy a longer straw and cut it to length. The other tip is to affix the straw to a wire coat hanger that can be bent to fit.
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Did you bend the red tube about 90 degrees? Heat some water, stick the tube in and bend it in a 90 deg curve, not too sharp. I have one saved for the purpose.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley