cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pagosa Springs, CO to South Fork, CO-Hwy 160

snicky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Class A and towing. On Hwy 160 from Pagosa Springs, CO to South Fork, CO-thru Wolf Creek Pass. My research tells me this could be a challenging drive. We're in Durango, CO on are way back to Minnesota. Any route suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Our tax dollars have been spent well on the pass. It is a no worry trip. When I first drove it there was little room for error.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have the DW drive over the Pass in the toad. Would help to know what A you have other than 35'. There are two P A CGs in S Fork that you can actually use in the summer time.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Traveling the direction you are, the west side is definitely the steeper side. But it is a wide 4 lanes (two lanes up and two lanes down) on that side, with several pull outs if you want to stop for the view. So you can just stay in the right lane and take your time. One hair pin turn a couple miles or so after you start the climb, but that is no problem either.

The downhill east side is not as steep. A couple curves shortly after starting down you need to watch your speed. And a couple miles later there is a snow shed over the road with a fairly sharp curve inside it that you definitely need to watch your speed as it can surprise you. Otherwise, fairly gradual descent.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf Creek handles all sizes of rigs, and it's really over-rated on the scary factor. I know trucker songs have been written about it, but it has been tamed quite a bit since then. I just came back through there with our DP pulling a Wrangler. The west side is the steepest grades so you'll be pulling instead of descending, and there is some construction towards the base on the east side by South Fork that narrows the road a bit. When we went through they had it down to one lane and a traffic control light to alternate traffic flow.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
snicky wrote:
I have a Class A and towing. On Hwy 160 from Pagosa Springs, CO to South Fork, CO-thru Wolf Creek Pass. My research tells me this could be a challenging drive. We're in Durango, CO on are way back to Minnesota. Any route suggestions?

See from an earlier post that you went through Moab - Hoping you were able to catch RT 128 along the Colorado River while there?

Were you able to Catch Silverton/Lake City/Telluride while in the San Juan's? If not you need to Come Back.
I Mapped a GREAT Route to head Home on.

After Pagosa Springs - up through Salida/Buena Vista/ Leadville - Spending the Night close to Twin Lakes and taking the Toad over Independence Pass - RT 82 to Aspen/Maroon Bells - (Restricted Road) - Hopefully you will have time to do this route and many of the side trips on your way out of Colorado. (full day side road trip)

I also threw in a side trip/drive on RT 6 - exit 244 left hand exit after Idaho Springs - Beautiful drive along Clear Creek into Golden/Denver - sure beats the Interstate drive (JMHO).

To come all this way and miss anything is a shame, so just pointing out a few highlights as you head out.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
At the time, I was not familiar with "tow haul" on my pickup.
The first for me, I gave the pickup half throttle and whatever gear it decided on is how I went up.
Going down on the east side, I put pickup in second gear and it held my speed down so I didn't have to use any brakes. Just, went down slow.
As the steepness decreased and speed decreased, I shifted to 3rd gear. Held speed very well.
When the steepness decreased and started to slow down again, I put transmission in drive and set cruise control the rest of the way in South Fork.
I hope the above way helps you figure it out!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
snicky wrote:
I have a Class A and towing. On Hwy 160 from Pagosa Springs, CO to South Fork, CO-thru Wolf Creek Pass, how is the drive? Grades? Elevation?

As we are all different, my opinion is "No Problem" - we have driven all through this area, along with thousands of others, and Love It.

My fond memory of this area, is of driving it one late November - with no real snow yet, and having an Eagle fly straight down the road - right over the Coach - and saying to My DW - OMG I love this State!

IMHO you are entering an area that is still as wild and Beautiful as it gets. Take your time - Explore - Hike - 4X4 - just enjoy the opportunities in this beautiful part of Colorado.

You should have no issue with the drive or the elevation.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

TheSidwells
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf creek pass should not be a problem, I have done it many times in my 5th wheel. Just use your low gears as much as possible, the direction your going is less steep as well for the downhills.
The Sidwell's

Live like no tomorrow, plan like there is....