cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safety Mod Pass Through to Truck Window

Bets_B
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm a newbie here and have searched previous posts but can't find what I'm looking for so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

We're in the process of purchasing at Cirrus 820 but would like to made a modification so we can connect the pass through window to the back window of the truck. Has anyone tried this - there must be some sort of a gasket system you can set up. The goal is for us to be able to get from the TC to the truck in case of emergency.

Thanks so much for your help.
60 REPLIES 60

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about driving at 120 degrees, but the pass through works well for more moderate temps like the mid 90s. I have never even had to assist with the fantastic fan.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just drive that thing somewhere where it ain't 120 degrees! Haha

Got to 95 here today, sweatin balls out ! If I were in your shoes I'd point that thing towards the nearest Mountian and not stop til I got there!
Stay safe......and cool!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
REPORT from the trip with 16" inner tube installed.
The tube did leave small gaps around high bed light/camera housing, so I might have to work on it a bit more. Making the tube oval would be perfect, so maybe some strap will do the trick.
To top it, the camper slide covers almost 1/2 truck window opening, so forget about safety pass unless you can move the slide, but anyway, spend most of the day driving when morning temp were in 110's while coming to Las Vegas I had solid 118F for last 2 hr .
Set truck blower to mid-range speed and in the time the camper interior without truck air could reach 125-130F, the thermometer on countertop did show 102F.
So I am pretty sold on the idea.
Hopefully with better sealing, setting truck blower to max and camper rear Fantastic to low exhaust, I could get the camper down to comfortable temperatures even in extreme heat.
Now 1 hr after entering the house, starting with huge evaporative coolers and than switching to AC I managed to lower the interior to 96F.
Still 1 more hr of full sunshine, so I will head for cold shower.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
That is good stuff. I used to buy it from U-Line but found out Walmart has it much cheaper. Not on thread but I use it to affix my Click and Ship labels on my packages that I ship worldwide for the company I own. Stuff sticks about anything to about anything.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
MN Ben wrote:
Could you use one of those swimming pool noodle floaties?

I would say no, the vinyl is too thin, but worth a shot anyway, it's cheap.

I wonder if you could stack the noodles? For tying some foam body flies for fishing I use 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive to stack different colors of foam. Maybe use a little painters tape so the spray only coats a strip down one side of each noodle. Spray on then press together, give a few minutes to set and you have a double thickness noodle.

Just a thought...
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The inner tube I bought at TSC works fine (for me). Not sure it would stand up to a cat however. The real test will be driving up and down out dirt road when it's dry and dusty.

My camper sits pretty close to my back sliding window anyway
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
MN Ben wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
MN Ben wrote:

I tried it this weekend. It was down and dirty as a stationary device to deter the cats from sneaking between the camper and the truck window. My wife did not want to allow her cat to go through because she claws her way to get into/out of other areas and would most likely bust my hack job apart. I will try an inner tube or upholstery foam next time.
Ben

I know about cats, my wife has a multitude of them and they all have claws...and they all like to 'climb' my leg. Wonderful thing.
2015 Backpack SS1500

anutami
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Took 15 miles trip to Tractor Supply today.
The biggest inner tube they had was 16" but looks good for the air exchange purpose.
They also have good selection of metric bolts, what I will need for my Generac.
Plan to put the camper back on truck this weekend, so will add a picture.
With 120F weather I sure hope the air from the truck will keep the camper below 100F so I don't get all sweat just by opening the door.

I got my truck inner tube at Auto Zone, I believe they have larger size ones than Tractor supply
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Took 15 miles trip to Tractor Supply today.
The biggest inner tube they had was 16" but looks good for the air exchange purpose.
They also have good selection of metric bolts, what I will need for my Generac.
Plan to put the camper back on truck this weekend, so will add a picture.
With 120F weather I sure hope the air from the truck will keep the camper below 100F so I don't get all sweat just by opening the door.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
MN Ben wrote:

I tried it this weekend. It was down and dirty as a stationary device to deter the cats from sneaking between the camper and the truck window. My wife did not want to allow her cat to go through because she claws her way to get into/out of other areas and would most likely bust my hack job apart. I will try an inner tube or upholstery foam next time.
Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
MN Ben wrote:

Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I am in Phoenix right now and trying to figure out the way around the city.
Thanks for the tip.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I went to Walmart today and the thickest bicycle tubes they stock are 2.25"
They have 3" inner tubes on the net, but the closest I could locate is 1200 miles away, but what you guys think?
Will 3" inner tube inflate to 5.5"?
Is it worth spending 20 bucks to try?

Don't you have Tractor Supply's in Nevada or ASC or any farm stores? They will all have truck inner tubes. I bought a tune for a 18"" diameter farm tire 7" wide. Works like a charm. I think it will eliminate some of the oscillation of the camper in the bed too. I paid 15 bucks, no tax (I have an ag exemption.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Walmart today and the thickest bicycle tubes they stock are 2.25"
They have 3" inner tubes on the net, but the closest I could locate is 1200 miles away, but what you guys think?
Will 3" inner tube inflate to 5.5"?
Is it worth spending 20 bucks to try?