cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resale (LOL) what is better bumper pull or 5th wheel

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Contemplating moving up in a couple of years so I am doing my due dillegence now. What would you consider the most popular ( ie re-sale) size and type of toy hauler? I have heard somewhere that 35' BP's have a very limited market yet I see a lot manufacturers still build them. I want something in the 35-39' overall range. I like the idea of not giving up my bed with a BP. Lots of pros and cons to each. TV will be a 3500 CTD so that will not be an issue either way.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
22 REPLIES 22

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - those garage slides seem to take some the advantages out of the open floorplan IMO. My SXS is wider than a RZR so prob wouldn't work at all.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

bhoth
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:
bhoth wrote:
Here is the bumper pull rig we recently purchased. It's a 2018 Shockwave T28RQDX (Forest River)

GVWR is 12,100 Lbs.

We love the floorplan. It has a full master bedroom, comes standard with a lot of stuff including 4k gen, solar panel, optional 1500 watt inverter, 40 gallon gas station etc.

Nice - quick question - can you get a side by side or utv in the garage with the slide in?

Yes we put a 2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 in first then back in a 2016 XP Turbo 2 seat. I will say the driver side rear wheel does go up on the wheel well but it fits fine. I back the rzr in to put more weight as forward as I can. I will say however, if I did it over again, I would get the exact same rig without the slide as it does take up garage space. I could fit a dirt bike there where the slide is.

Shadowman00
Explorer
Explorer
My first reply would be to buy it 2 years old to begin. That will help the eventual loss on the resale side and doesn't make it quite as big of a gap.

Second, obviously you are looking ahead for a future upgrade or maybe this is just a test of whether you will like camping? I would buy for what your current needs are, because things change. Example: I bought mine with the anticipation of a 4 seat UTV. Well, 7 years later, I've never owned a UTV. Still have quads. If I would have known that 7 years ago, I would have went with a different model. If you know you will be changing "hobbies" soon, then plan accordingly, but if the future is unknown, go with what you want/need now.

Finally, I have a Bumper Pull that is 32+ Feet. I bought it site unseen, didn't do my homework. It is a Model FSW2800, so I was thinking 28 ft. Not so! I bought bumper pull, because I wanted the bed open. I regret it everytime we load up. The 5th wheel we previously owned had 3x the storage, where we could keep things loaded. Now, we load/unload chairs, tables, tools, etc... everytime, whereas a 5th wheel, you keep them loaded. Pack you clothes and food and your off. Storage is underrated on an RV! I've had a 5th wheel and MH with basement storage, and miss them both dearly!.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have owned my current trailer for 7 years if it didn't fit our needs. But the 5th wheel is a better option, and if you get one that fits your needs, you won't need the bed of your truck.

Sorry for the ramble.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
bhoth wrote:
Here is the bumper pull rig we recently purchased. It's a 2018 Shockwave T28RQDX (Forest River)

GVWR is 12,100 Lbs.

We love the floorplan. It has a full master bedroom, comes standard with a lot of stuff including 4k gen, solar panel, optional 1500 watt inverter, 40 gallon gas station etc.

Nice - quick question - can you get a side by side or utv in the garage with the slide in?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
1jeep wrote:
Txsurfer wrote:
The only reason the BP seems appealing is you don't loose your PU bed.

I have a 5th wheel and my bed is still there! no I cant put tall items back there but firewood, coolers, awning etc plenty of room.

Ditto.
I used to haul a kids quad, wood and a cooler in my bed, even with my 5th wheel hooked up.
I love my long bed.

Good points
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

bhoth
Explorer
Explorer

GVWR is 12,100 Lbs.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
Txsurfer wrote:

I have a 5th wheel and my bed is still there! no I cant put tall items back there but firewood, coolers, awning etc plenty of room.

Ditto.
I used to haul a kids quad, wood and a cooler in my bed, even with my 5th wheel hooked up.
I love my long bed.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:

2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I follow your thought process on resale value. There are so many variables in the resale side it is not easy to answer. The 5th will cost more up front than the BP and therefore usually draw a larger return in the end. How the vehicle is stored and what the original price was compared to increased pricing in the future has a major element in the value.
With that thought I don't believe proportionately you will see a large difference. For your resale value maintaining the unit will provide a better resale than any thing else to worry about.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I have always based my decisions on how much room I need for toys.
That's why I went to a 41' 5er years ago and have not had to worry about getting something different.
Fits my requirements so no need to sell it.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
If I were in the market for a new TH I'd first decide what I can pull with my current TV. Then type, ie do I need to still have access to my bed while towing (bumper type), if not then no question 5er (actually for me this is a done deal, I'll NEVER go back to a bumper pull). Once that is established you need to ask where you're going to use it and what would be the length limitations. If you're a state/national park person then you need to keep it 30' or less or if you boondock down nasty roads (another consideration on bumper vs. 5er). The floor plan.

That would be my process.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Buy whatever fits your needs and what your truck will handle...if you have a SRW then you probably need to stay 16K GVWR or under on a 5th wheel toy hauler. If you have a dually then you could easily get into the 40ft plus but ultimately you have to have a floor plan that works for you! Just my thoughts.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

akcooper9
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone on here. By what you like and need. Don't based on resale value. When I bought used, I bought what I wanted/need.

Personally I wouldn't own a bumper pull over 30ft...but thats just me.