cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Needing? wisdom, c vs 5th/travel trailer

Ledauz
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so am at a crossroad with my new career field. I can be transferred anywhere in Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah or Montana. Most in this industry do truck and 5th. But I want to bring an enclosed trailer with a motorcycle and a Chevy Sonic with me. If it matters I do have a class A CDL and no stranger to driving big trucks.

So here is what I figured for options for my self with the issues of each.

Truck and trailer

• 2001 f250+ 5th or tt+ enclosed trailer
  • hitting max length of 65'
  • cost of truck & trailer $30-40k
  • paying 2 insurance payments
  • limited space for living quarters due to length restrictions
  • smaller trailers don't have washer/dryer so costs of laundry mat

Class c
  • Higher up front cost $45-75k
  • will need to be within 5 yrs to meet restriction and 5yrs of use
  • possible issue with camp grounds on age restriction
  • increase is size available
  • possible to get laundry units

• most likely will be a 30-35' class c or c+

Assume either set up will see a min 5 years of use. And will sometimes have to abide by the age restriction of some RV parks. Employer does not subsidize living expenses. Potential travel of approximately 30k miles annually. Diesel is a must with the possibility of traveling over the mountains.

Which option makes the most sense?( First time working/living on the road)

How strict are RV parks on their age restriction policies?

Issues to look out for?

Any wisdom to impart?
6 REPLIES 6

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I traded in my truck/trailer for a class c. Pretty happy so far. Got in a major accident with the trailer several years ago, and was never all that comfortable with towing after that. trailer got caught in a crosswind from a passing semi and jack knifed rolling both the trailer and truck. driving the class c is a lot like driving my van with a heavy weight in the back end. the C doesn't have the space the trailer does, but you can use the space while driving. with the c you don't have a vehicle to move around with once you get to your destination. We got a couple of electric bikes for that. I can back the rv into our yard by myself, need spotters for the trailer. C fits in 2 parking spots, trailer+truck 55' long. MH is better for short trips and road trips. Trailer works better for going to 1 place and staying a while.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I would suggest looking into a toy-hauler motorhome and use your Sonic as your dinghy. This way you won't have to worry about triple towing and your bike will be safely stored in the moho when not in use. Good luck!

Ledauz
Explorer
Explorer
By myself, in the power line construction industry, heard of people being in one place anywhere from a few weeks to a year.

Some way to bring motorcycle is a must,8' long 600 drag race bike.

Seen some jayco seneca for $60-70k but with 60k ish miles, not sure if those are money pits or good deals(RV trader).

Price range was set with not my motorcycle or an investment, it's ramen noodle budget.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 F350 7.3 and tow a fifth wheel that is around 9000 pounds. It's a small one, only 26 feet long, but very solid and build for winters (light ones), but far above a lite or even a medium fifth wheel. To triple tow with a F250 would just be impossible to imagine.

A super C would work on a MDT, but they are truly ritzy motorhomes and to get one in your price range that would be reliable and fit the purpose of living in it might be difficult.

Maybe take lessons from those that have gone before you, and try out their setup for awhile. If it works for you, or if it doesn't, at least you can slip out of the commitment before you get in too deep.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
couple of questions that's may help you get some better answers.
1. How long do you estimate staying in one spot?
2. By yourself or with family?
3. What kind of work? Is internet important?

If you are joining one of the highly transient job situations such as oilfield, pipeline, or power line construction you will likely find that the age restriction will not matter in the most likely RV parks. It seems like the restrictions are most common in the higher end "resort" type parks and. That does not sound like what you will be staying in.

If you are not working from your RV then you need to consider that transportation situation which, to me, would lead to a truck/trailer rather than a C. Your insurance costs may be lower with a truck/trailer as well.

Tough decision. I am sure that you will get some more inputs soon.

Terry

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Not many class C with a diesel, most are Ford V10. You may need to look at class A.

I would not worry about the age restriction.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.