cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trailer not braking when I hit the brakes

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
My son bought a new Ford F-250 with the tow package. He says when he brakes the truck, it doesn't feel like the trailer is braking. But he can feel the trailer brake if he uses the manual switch. The dealer says that if the manual is working, the foot brake should also be braking the trailer because they use the same wiring. Otherwise the problem is in the trailer, which is also less than a year old.

Any thoughts?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
13 REPLIES 13

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
My first though is, the brake controller needs to be set to a higher "gain". Have him max it out on #10 once and try the brakes. See if he feels the trailer jerk to stop then?

My thoughts exactly.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
The Ford IBC is so smooth you will not feel the action of the trailer brakes. There is NO grab feeling. I thought the same thing with mine. It is totally proportional to the brake pedal pressure applied and integrated into the ABS system. Page the DiC to the brake controller and press the brake pedal and you will see the gain increase as you put the pressure on. I set mine at 9 and forget it.

RRTom, I agree with Jack_Diane_Freedom, on this.

If this is the first time your son has towed with a Ford integrated break controller, he may be learning something new. I have the 2005 version which is the first year they came out with it. It is not as adjustable as the newer ones but I can say this, this controller is so smooth the truck and trailer stop as one. I cannot force this controller even on a gain of 10 to have the trailer lead the truck. I had the Jordan brake controller before this on a different TV and on those non integrated controllers, yes you can tweak the controller to have the trailer lead the truck.

My camper weighs just under 10,000# when fully loaded. I use a gain of 8.5 and this combo is one smooth stopping rig.

If I go to my equipment flat bed trailer when it is empty and do not turn down the gain to about 6.5, I can smell the flat bed brakes getting really hot. Yet those tires do not lock up just I can tell with that high a gain on that lighter weight trailer (~2500lb) the trailer is doing more stopping of the rig then it should, but I still do not feel it. I smell the problem. Back it down to 6.5, the rig still stops the same but the trailer brakes are normal heat then.

Is your son trying to get the trailer to lead the truck brakes? The controller may be working like it is suppose to and it may not be able to happen that way.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
HI.... One think you may do is to look up the owners manual on the computer. You said this is a new F250 (2017) with tow package which I think has a integrated brake system on it. As far as I know the late model big three all have integrated brake systems. The quick start booklet they gave you when you bought the truck probably does not have enough detail about how to set the integrated brake system. Size and weight of trailer can be set once you get into the system. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has he opened the Ford manual and read the complete section on how to set up the integrated brake controller?

Next I would want a clamp-on DC ammeter to see if 3 amps are getting to each trailer brake while parked and manually applying the brakes.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford IBC is so smooth you will not feel the action of the trailer brakes. There is NO grab feeling. I thought the same thing with mine. It is totally proportional to the brake pedal pressure applied and integrated into the ABS system. Page the DiC to the brake controller and press the brake pedal and you will see the gain increase as you put the pressure on. I set mine at 9 and forget it.

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
The OP mentioned that his son "felt" the brakes working when manually activated. That's a mild way to describe what should be brakes locking up when moving 25ish MPH and then manually activating them. A number of suggestions.
1. Check if your controller is set to the correct weight of trailer.
2. Jack up the trailer and adjust the brakes. This should be done every 3,000 miles or so. Those brakes wear and don't automatically adjust.
3. Accelerate to 25MPH and then fully activate the brakes manually, they should lock up or very nearly so. If they lock up, back off the +/- adjustment a bit.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Well what is the gain set on.

On my f250 there is a plus and minus button just underneath the manual slider pushing those buttons changes the gain and the gain setting is shown on the dash as it is changed.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Jim2007 is onto something. Check the adjustment for trailer size/weight.

Also: Ford's integrated brake controller is designed so that you DON'T feel the trailer braking and pulling you back, and you DON'T feel the trailer pushing the truck. If the system is working correctly, you shouldn't feel it at all.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. is the brake controller intergrated in the truck? If it is go into the system brake menu and determine what it is set on /light trailer, heavy trailer, should be a scale 1 to 10 for each. Set it up to where you can get he brakes to grab.. I go 10mph. You then back down the setting, to where you get a soft smooth stop. I really do not think the dealer.like to work with this stuff. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
My controller has 2 additional ways of controlling how sensitive the brakes work.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
I think your dealer has it backwards.

If the trailer brakes work on manual, the trailer wiring is working properly as the trailer wiring doesn't know if it's the pedal or the switch activating the brakes (same wires from the plug to the trailer brakes).

Far more likely is it's in the truck as there are separate wires from the pedal to the controller vs the manual switch to the controller.

Update: checking the gain is a good first check. The wiring might be just fine but if the gain is turned way down, you won't feel the brakes grab.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If he uses the manual switch and the trailer brakes work, then the trailer brakes are good. If it then doesn't work when using the foot brake, it's the truck/controller.
I think dealers hate to work on these things because they aren't accustomed to them.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My first though is, the brake controller needs to be set to a higher "gain". Have him max it out on #10 once and try the brakes. See if he feels the trailer jerk to stop then?