cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ford Edge

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
Would appreciate flat towing assistance from anyone who has an Edge. Trying to figure out which fuses to remove to shut off the Dash Computer to prevent battery drain. I try to start it while traveling but that doesn't always work and so I have to boost/charge battery off the RV when I get to my destination. Is the issue simply resolved by removing the negative battery cable?
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.
8 REPLIES 8

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
novi2some wrote:
2014 Ford Edge manual does not talk about disconnecting the battery.
Oops, you're right!

For some reason I addressed the issue (above) with a 2017 in my mind. Electric steering on new cars is changing the game. Wish I could help ... for my 08 I just turn the key to Acc, put it in neutral and go.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
(Mr. Scottiemom here)Yes we use a Patriot Braking System. I hooked a direct (+)line to the positive post and our disconnect is on the negative post, with the other direct (-) line connected to the negative post before the disconnect. Reason I used the negative post for the disconnect is the number of connections to the positive post. I ran the cable thru the door jam until I can get a line through the bodywork. I used a power socket with an extension cord I had on hand.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
Dale, do you use a brake buddy? If yes, did you run a separate 12v power directly from the battery?

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Our 2014 Flex also does not say anything about disconnecting the battery or pullng a fuse. However, the battery does go dead every time. So we were in a campgound and another camper was towing a newer Flex. He used a disconnect he mounted on the battery. So DH put one on our Flex. Easy peasy. No more dead battery and simple to use. Just throw the switch. When I start it back up, everything resets itself.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ford Edge manual does not talk about disconnecting the battery.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I believe starting in 2016 the Ford Edge went to electric assisted steering. The info I've seen says to disconnect the negative connection to the battery. If left hooked up the steering will constantly attempt to correct itself to center. No presets are lost by disconnecting, and some have installed battery disconnect switches to make the process simple.

Follow the manual for directions on recreational towing. The manual is the bible.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
The owners manual for my 2016 Edge states to disconnect the negative terminal. First long tow is next week, I'll see how it does.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

Cranemec
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the climate control and the radio. There is no fuse Ford recommends pulling. If your battery is going dead you probably have a weak battery. We don't have that problem on our 2013 Explorer. We only travel 6 hours at a time and she cranks right up every time. I do carry a small jump box just in case.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/2014DinghyGuide.pdf
2015 American Coach Tradition 42G