cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turbo diesel

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Well just our luck, we get a good looking 2005 dodge ram 3500 with only 129000 miles on it to pull our 5th wheel and my wife gets sick. we have been looking for a good truck when we found this one. MY QUESTION IS THE TRUCK SITS IN THE DRIVE IN FRONT OF THE 5TH WHEEL. I take it out for a run about once a week. Is this bad for a 3500 turbo diesel to sit like that ??? THANK YOU, DENNY AND IDA
7 REPLIES 7

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
From an engine professional:

Sitting is better than idling - nothing good happens to an idling engine.

Each thermal cycle does some damage.

Moisture accumulates in engines and fuel tanks.

Summary:
Take it out and run it hard every so often. Once a month is more than enough. If you miss a month, don't worry.
Keep the fuel tanks full to minimize "breathing". Diesel fuel takes a very long time to get old.
Keep a charger on the battery(s).

I have had boats kept this way for YEARS.

Matt

This ^

My truck sits from the first road salting until a few rains past the last freeze. I had the truck shipped up to NY from TX and there is no way I am driving it on the salty roads.

I try to exercise it on longer runs once or twice a week otherwise.

5 amp on board Battery Tender is plugged in when not in use.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
From an engine professional:

Sitting is better than idling - nothing good happens to an idling engine.

Each thermal cycle does some damage.

Moisture accumulates in engines and fuel tanks.

Summary:
Take it out and run it hard every so often. Once a month is more than enough. If you miss a month, don't worry.
Keep the fuel tanks full to minimize "breathing". Diesel fuel takes a very long time to get old.
Keep a charger on the battery(s).

I have had boats kept this way for YEARS.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short trips are harder on the truck than sitting. Especially the exhaust. It warms up enough to get condensation in it but not hot enough to burn it off. But that is in any vehicle.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I take my Duramax out every other Sunday to keep the battery charged and things moving, other than that it sits until we pull the fifth wheel or goose neck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Once a week? Mine might sit longer than 2mo during the winter. I plug it in to a battery tender when it sits for any length of time, along with a full tank of diesel.

Once a week drives won't bother it either. Just be sure to get it up to temperature, 15+ miles to get the transmission to a half decent temp as well. Staring and idling will hurt them, get a load on it.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
My DP with the Cummins ISB has sit for 7 months a year for the last 15 years.
Only time it is started during that time is when I change the oil or replace the fuel filters.

If you park it with a full tank of fuel and have diesel Sti-bil in it.
Sitting doesn't hurt the engine any. Only problem you may have is if the battery has any drain on it while sitting. A battery maintainer will take care of that.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I went from about 20 miles to work to less than 2 miles. Rode my bike much of the time. My 01 has about 95,000 now. Didn't seem to hurt it. But not good IMO. I would look up and go from miles to time frame on maint things. Even though it hurts to change the trans fluid, when so little use. I keep my fuel on full. When you take it out it remember it takes longer than a short drive for diff's to warm up. At least on mine with dana 70's, and you have dana 80's I believe. The only thing I've replaced pre-maturely maybe because not of enough use was my water pump.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"