cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autopark again

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was heading out west on I80 in PA just south of Wilkes-Barre going 60 mpg when my parking brake came on as well as the light. Smoked the drum brakes before finding a safe place to pull off. I just replaced the green switch last week when light came on but the brake did not. Replaced it again this morning on the side of hiway but no pump actuation. Found that the the valve solinoid was melted. I emailed Roger but have not heard back yet. Have been calling around to Hyd parts places but have not been able to locate part. It is a Vickers SV 3433 part number. 4-6 lbs-ft max. Also looking for relay that powers the solinoid it is a Bosh 0 332 002 192 part number 12v 50 amp 4 pin connection. Any help would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

stallion143
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I did not see an improved coil in the Brazil's kit that is what failed on me. Green switch twice and grey switch once.

They have alot of replacement parts. If you don't see what you need, give them a call. They most likely can help. I haven't decided whether I will keep the rig or not. For now it works.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did not see an improved coil in the Brazil's kit that is what failed on me. Green switch twice and grey switch once.

stallion143
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
stallion143 wrote:
I know others have said the same thing I'm about to say, but it needs to be said again! The autopark system on these Workhorse platforms SHOULD have been a SAFETY RECALL!!!
Mine is in the shop AGAIN ( third time) because the autopark light came on about 200 miles from home. The driveshaft brake did not engage, but I was extremely upset that the "fix" didn't last but 350-400 miles. The last time it happened as we were ready to leave a rest stop in AL. It wouldn't move an inch! Lucky it malfunctioned at a rest stop and not driving 65 MPH going down the interstate. I DO NOT understand how a company can sell thousands of motorhomes with this defect. I do like the idea of totally replacing the old system with a manual parking brake. I may call Brazel's and find out about this conversion. Sadly, I most likely will be selling our rig due to some medical issues that have occured over the past few months. Thanks for letting me vent! This is a GREAT forum for information on a wide variety of topics!

Obviously you don't know the whole story, including the cost effectiveness and the politics, behind it all, that originated from GM and inherited by WH. That's OK though, as most of earth's population, doesn't either. Not much of a safety issue for the government to order a recall. Simply installing a manual pedal or lever, isn't the answer either and far from it, since no company wants to face billions in law suits and eventual bankruptcy. Now, you'd have your recall for sure and immediately, before any mishaps even had a chance to occur. I mean these companies aren't that crazy.
Also keep in mind that any DP, truck or other, with air brakes, will lock up the brakes, with loss of air pressure. Not a common thing, but then the trucking industry has had a lot of time for spending and perfecting the system. What Brazel's is proposing, for one thing, is a similar air conversion, but it's not cheap.
Actually if the RGS, RBS, or otherwise pressure switch, was a little more bullet proof, let's say, then you'd seldom hear of any problems. I've even looked for a replacement without success and maybe Brazel's has a replacement for those, as well. For what it's worth, it's not such a bad system and most woes can be dealt with, with some education and the carrying of a few spare parts on board.

Actually, after looking at Brazel's website, they DO have replacement RGS, RBS & a new 70 amp relay. The kit is selling for $299. The new "switches" (bulletproof?) are rated for a million cycles. According to their website the relay should be replaced every 3-5 years. Now I know what's included in the kit isn't the only thing that could go wrong with the system, BUT, so far it would have fixed my issues all three times it went down.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
stallion143 wrote:
I know others have said the same thing I'm about to say, but it needs to be said again! The autopark system on these Workhorse platforms SHOULD have been a SAFETY RECALL!!!
Mine is in the shop AGAIN ( third time) because the autopark light came on about 200 miles from home. The driveshaft brake did not engage, but I was extremely upset that the "fix" didn't last but 350-400 miles. The last time it happened as we were ready to leave a rest stop in AL. It wouldn't move an inch! Lucky it malfunctioned at a rest stop and not driving 65 MPH going down the interstate. I DO NOT understand how a company can sell thousands of motorhomes with this defect. I do like the idea of totally replacing the old system with a manual parking brake. I may call Brazel's and find out about this conversion. Sadly, I most likely will be selling our rig due to some medical issues that have occured over the past few months. Thanks for letting me vent! This is a GREAT forum for information on a wide variety of topics!

Obviously you don't know the whole story, including the cost effectiveness and the politics, behind it all, that originated from GM and inherited by WH. That's OK though, as most of earth's population, doesn't either. Not much of a safety issue for the government to order a recall. Simply installing a manual pedal or lever, isn't the answer either and far from it, since no company wants to face billions in law suits and eventual bankruptcy. Now, you'd have your recall for sure and immediately, before any mishaps even had a chance to occur. I mean these companies aren't that crazy.
Also keep in mind that any DP, truck or other, with air brakes, will lock up the brakes, with loss of air pressure. Not a common thing, but then the trucking industry has had a lot of time for spending and perfecting the system. What Brazel's is proposing, for one thing, is a similar air conversion, but it's not cheap.
Actually if the RGS, RBS, or otherwise pressure switch, was a little more bullet proof, let's say, then you'd seldom hear of any problems. I've even looked for a replacement without success and maybe Brazel's has a replacement for those, as well. For what it's worth, it's not such a bad system and most woes can be dealt with, with some education and the carrying of a few spare parts on board.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

stallion143
Explorer
Explorer

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
T18skyguy wrote:
Glad you got it solved. The resident expert on autopark in this forum is user Oldusedbear. Send him a message he is a great guy and understands the systems extremely well.
. Yes Roger gave me the part number for the solenoid/coil that I needed. I searched all over with the part number on the Vickers coil and no one could cross reference it. This was an unusual failure compared to the green switch failing.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it solved. The resident expert on autopark in this forum is user Oldusedbear. Send him a message he is a great guy and understands the systems extremely well.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Picked up the coil in Rapid City and installed it in Badlands NP and it work. Happy to have it work again. I had to adjust the drum brakes also because they were worn down from the APB coming on at hiway speeds.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Roger gave me the right part number which is a 12 Volt Solenoid vickers GM #15149862 . Dealers wanted $350-$380 and the 3 I called had none in stock. Found replacements online from $154-$180. Found the original GM number for $67 on eBay. I found out that when you are on the road you can have the parts shipped to a UPS store and they will hold it for you for 7 days. So I am suppose to pick it up in Rapid City SD in 5 days. Also I found out my auto park fuse is the same as my jack fuse that is why my jacks would not work when the auto park failed. So I will be useing chocks until then. Hoping I have enough brake lining left to adjust the brake shoes, they smoked pretty good when the auto park came on at 60 mph.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
tippytoe wrote:
Roger will have your answer. I will get the part numbers a little later. Got to run. Relay is maybe about $8 from NAPA, solenoid is maybe $12 from a Hydraulics supply house.
. I called Napa first but they could not find the relay or solinoid. I called two hyd supply houses I called in PA and they could not find parts either.

tippytoe
Explorer
Explorer
Roger will have your answer. I will get the part numbers a little later. Got to run. Relay is maybe about $8 from NAPA, solenoid is maybe $12 from a Hydraulics supply house.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made contact with Roger and he has given me GM direct for the parts. I still need to figure out why my jack fuse blew twice and where the auto park fuse is located? The solinoid melted pretty bad. I don't want to put a new part in and have the same thing happen.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you contact Brazels, ask them about removing the Autopark and installing a foot operated emergency brake. Might as well eliminate the problem for good.

ets1996
Explorer
Explorer
X2 ON THE Brazels RV they are in Centrailia Wa Over a period of time I bought almost all parts to rebuild my Autopark Good Luck