cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Seldom Used Motorhome

RikR
Explorer
Explorer
We have always had large diesel motorhomes until 2015 when we bought a used Winnebago 24' Class C

Because of age, two recreation homes and other commitments we are only going camping about 3 times a year.

My wife wants to sell it to get it out of the driveway - I think we should keep it just in case.

Anyone else keeping a seldom used RV
14 REPLIES 14

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Keeping it if you plan to use it is a good idea. However keeping it for just in case in case means it's time to sell. Sell it now while it is in decent shape.
Don't just let it deteriorate in the driveway pretending you are going to use it.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
If one of your homes is on the Oregon coast, sell that one and keep the motorhome to visit the coast at any number of fine places to stay. They tell us that the BIG ONE is going to hit any minute now and all those site built homes are going to be washed away by a tsunami. I have a boat that is in a similar situation as your RV. I have owned it since 1988, but now I am weary of being both captain AND crew, so it's going up for sale.
Steve

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
You sound as though you aren't desperate so my advice is to keep it.
Drive it once every couple of weeks, keep it well supplied, full of fuel, water, propane.
You never know when you will need an escape vehicle----Keep a Toad also.
We have had our "C" for nearly 2 years and have been camping about 4 times. We keep it stocked and keep other supplies on hand to load on a moments notice. Extra medicine packed to load---Old folks like me have a bunch on Meds. I also have some emergency items in the toad.
I can prepare and move out in an hour in case of a disaster.
Explain this to your Wife and she should want to keep it.
The last thing I worry about is Tag, taxes, insurance, etc.
The RV is our Security Blanket.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave17352 wrote:
Jeepers it doesn't take that much to keep a used class c. Keep it til your sure you won't use it. Three times would be enough for me to keep If it was a older unit.

Once it's paid for you are correct. i have an 09 Cambria with 40K miles on it, a trip doesn't go by that I don't have to repair something before heading out again. If you can do small maintenance items yourself then good, if you let the little things build up then no good. I won't allow my vehicles to start having issues where something doesn't work then you just end up by- passing it . What if what? What if you want to hit the road, rent one. Figure in all your costs to have it sit there. Drivelines like to be used, not sit there. And where does the poster live, weather can take a RV to it's grave quicker than you think without care.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP: In Bend you are in one of the capitals of Pacific Wonderland.

Your 24' C is perfect for day trips in comfort. Whether visiting Crater Lake or Diamond Lake, or cruising the many lakes of Century drive. Or taking a jaunt down to Fort Rock or Summer Lake.

Throw in a few overnight supplies in case you are so inspired to stay.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar story as the OP RikR in using our motor home only a few times a year. There are times we regret buying our motor home for that reason alone. But in our case, our rig is garage-kept and well preserved so it does okay just sitting around. But it surely was a bad investment with regards to use versus the cash spent to purchase. One thing good is that we owe no money on it so it's just insurance and plates.

We take one multi-week trip a year and if we are lucky, we go a weekend or two a year. To be honest, we feel we are too busy to own a motor home. Our house, our church, and our family are our main causes for staying at home. It has gotten worse instead of better since I became semi-retired.

But our rig is really nice to have when we can go. We do love our little cottage that takes us wherever the road goes. I also enjoy the hobby of tinkering with it, making it better, most often at minimal cost. I have kept a log of things I've done with it on-line with pictures HERE.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Rent it out. It's the perfect size for someone to try RVing for the first time.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
To us seeing everything we want to see has little to do with how long we would keep our RV. We have it to camp out whenever we can fit the time in ... even if it means going back to the same places. A good spot to camp is a good spot to camp. We know a great camping spot when we see it ... but it's kind of hard to describe it objectively ... other than away from crowds.

However, the main reason we go on RV trips is for a change in environment - even though our stick house is very comfortable and is already in a beautiful wild lands place. The sense of freedom and laid back feeling we get on an RV trip cannot be matched in our stick house. Besides, our beloved pet passed away after RV'ing with us for years ... and her replacement just has to be taken back to see the same camping spots! 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Jeepers it doesn't take that much to keep a used class c. Keep it til your sure you won't use it. Three times would be enough for me to keep If it was a older unit.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
To us, having something as expensive as an RV sitting around unused is a waste of our resources.
So we use our RV every other week during the summer and sometimes more. If we were only going to use it 5 or 6 times or less, we'd get out of the hobby and just take car/hotel trips.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
For 3 times a year rent one if you feel like camping. Stuff goes bad from lack of use, seals dry etc.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
Two vacation homes and other commitments are plenty. As we age we are allowed to be more discriminating with our time and energy. I don't know what "just in case would be". I will have no problem parting with my lovable RV when it causes me more bother than joy.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
It is not economical to own a RV if you only use it 3 times a year.. Ins, Maintenance, license, ETC .. sell and stay in a motel when you travel..

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have one of you decided you have gone everywhere you want to go, and seen everything you want to see? If so and the other agrees, then you hand off the keys, until then,,,,,,,,, ROAD TRIP
Happy motorin