cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does this make sense?

Luke57
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are retiring early (I'm 59, she's 55). We're thinking of buying a 4-6 year old motorhome. We don't know where we want to live when we retire, we would use the motorhome to investigate options from FL to WA. Once we know where we want to live we'd probably sell the motorhome. Based on articles I've read about the depreciation of RVs, it seems like this would be financially viable. If I bought a 5 year old motorhome for say $80k, used it for a year and then sold it, it looks like it would be worth $60-$65k. Excluding the operating costs, that means the RV cost me $15k-$20k for the year, which is significantly cheaper than renting. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for your perspective.
16 REPLIES 16

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
photobug wrote:
Not sure I'll get what I paid for out of it even though I've fixed or replaced a lot of the stuff the either broke or was a stupid choice by the manufacture. (who decided that 2 threads was enough to hold on the front hub caps?)

It's the same on my Winnebago Itasca. I've had to replace some of those chrome wheel liner holding nuts cuz their threads were stripped - a good thing it wasn't the lug itself that stripped!!

Now I carry a spare chrome wheel liner nut in case one ever strips on a trip ... making it necessary to stow that awkward/big chrome wheel liner someplace for the remainder of the trip.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Luke57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great tips & advice!

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing, early retirement, selling the house, see the country before settling down somewhere. Only difference is I already had the motorhome. Not sure if I would have chosen a different floor plan since I bought it before getting the retirement offer. Bought this one for $10k, and having fun upgrading all the stuff in it. All the heavy stuff is done, now just finishing the smaller things like do I want/need a tv in the bedroom even though I have one in the main area. Not sure I'll get what I paid for out of it even though I've fixed or replaced a lot of the stuff the either broke or was a stupid choice by the manufacture. (who decided that 2 threads was enough to hold on the front hub caps?)
As long as you can deal with a used unit, $80k is a bit much for what you're trying to do. I've seen new ones for that.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Look at a rental unit for sale (think, Cruse America or El Monty) that has a floor plan you think will work. The floor plan may not work. But you will have allot less invested in the unit and be able to sell it if necessary for the right floor plan.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2 tips that I was given that I will pass on.

RV's will be cheaper just before winter when a buyer wants to sell and surely does not want to pay for a whole winter storage on an RV he no longer wants. (of course this only works in the states that do have a winter):W

And if you have some extra money you can use for air fare, expand your search for RV's down in Florida and in other states for that matter and fly down to get it and drive it back.

I am down here right now and the prices on used RV's are WAY lower than anywhere else. Many RV'ers come here to retire and pass on and their kids just want the RV gone. And because there are so many RV's in Florida, with the law of supply and demand the prices on used are just simply lower.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see you're residing in Colorado.

What other place to retire is there? Buy an RV for some other reason than to explore other places to retire!

Just kidding on the comments above ... but we just spent some time in Colorado in our RV for the first time last fall and it was spectacular. Even if you get an RV, enjoy your times at home too. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
LUKE 57
further thoughts. We started out looking for a stick and brick place in Arizona in a residential neighborhood We almost bought. Here was our thought. If we bought in a neighborhood then we would be alone in the neighborhood all day while everyone was at work. We would have to travel for all diversion. In the evening the neighborhood fills up with people coming home from work. They just want to relax and get ready to go back to the grind tomorrow. Most do not want an old guy and women bothering them. So we would still be alone. That is why we decided on an RV resort for retired people. We have tons of people looking to have fun and do things not just sit and wait to die.
We have a hiking club, four wheeler club, motorcycle club, pickle ball, cards, water volleyball, dance with live band every Friday in season and a disc jockey at other times plus numerous other outings and activities. There is to much to do and if you are bored it is your own fault. Much better than any neighborhood

Which RV park? Thanks.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is better to purchase. As to the loss, this depends on how you are at buying and selling. Our last MH was added for $80000, purchased for $74000. Kept for 8 years and cost was 40 percent. Couple updates and kept in good condition maintenance wise. During this time we built a retirement home and decided to go from the 40' DP to a 31' C to enable use in smaller sights at state and federal parks.

LEN

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another avenue to look at is to buy a Former Rental.

The prices are reasonable,they are well maintained. The cost per year of use on resale does not seem to be any where near what you are estimating.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
LUKE 57
further thoughts. We started out looking for a stick and brick place in Arizona in a residential neighborhood We almost bought. Here was our thought. If we bought in a neighborhood then we would be alone in the neighborhood all day while everyone was at work. We would have to travel for all diversion. In the evening the neighborhood fills up with people coming home from work. They just want to relax and get ready to go back to the grind tomorrow. Most do not want an old guy and women bothering them. So we would still be alone. That is why we decided on an RV resort for retired people. We have tons of people looking to have fun and do things not just sit and wait to die.
We have a hiking club, four wheeler club, motorcycle club, pickle ball, cards, water volleyball, dance with live band every Friday in season and a disc jockey at other times plus numerous other outings and activities. There is to much to do and if you are bored it is your own fault. Much better than any neighborhood
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't think you need to spend 80K on a 5 year old class C. Look for a 26 foot with no slides.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
gafidler wrote:
YES

X10 !

Buy a nice used one right and you will most likely be able to sell it for what you paid for it if you keep it maintained and clean.

Buying a new MH will keep you upside down till you die. I.E. you will never be able to sell it for what you owe on it. And will forever be in debt. RV's lose a "huge" depreciation just driving it off the dealers lot.

It was what I did after I thankfully got a clear mind and cancelled the order for that brand new DP I "thought" I had to have. Drove my first used Class C for 4 years and then sold it for what I paid for it. 4 years of free RV'ing to travel the roads to see where I wanted to settle down. :C

Find a nice used Class C that has the floor plan that works for you and your family. Check to see if the selling price is in line or less than with what it is appraised at.

Which by the way there are a plethora of real nice RV's for sale you can find at less than what some book appraises them at.

Sad for the seller, but great for a buyer, are the many RV owners out there who desperately need to sell their RV for one reason or another and can be bought for way less than what they are worth. I know I found several and bought them.

Take your time and search around for the best deal and take the plunge. Hope you find the perfect RV for you and your family. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
YES

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Yep makes sense but you may become addicted to the RV life and then it will cost$80,000
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind