cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30' Travel Trailer State/County Parks

arosenau
Explorer
Explorer
We are moving up from our popup and want to get a Travel Trailer. We are considering a 30' trailer but i'm a little hesitant that it might be too long in state and county parks. Can anyone comment on this? We would mainly be camping in the midwest, (Minnesota, Dakotas, Wisconsin) I'm not too worried about pulling it down the road, I pull my 24 foot snowmobile trailer just fine, its just getting it in the park and positioned in its spot that worries me.

Thanks for your input.
30 REPLIES 30

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
I have a tt that is 29' overall. Some of the NW Minnesota parks can be tight. At least the spots that are available by the time I look to book them. But the you also have to consider the tow vehicle. Some sites would be easier to get into if I didn't have a crew cab long (8') box.

Exactly. I have a 20 ft trailer and long bed truck. So 40 ft is the figure to keep in mind for length.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I hope your family and you make lots of good memories in your new hybrid.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I just left a campground that had a 26 ft trailer limit . The reason was that the spaces were too short for safely exiting.

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. The only park I've been worried in is Big Sur, I believe. The campground road is kindof windy, with lots of big branches to avoid. I was nervous with our 24 footer. But we saw plenty of larger RVs in there, so maybe I'm just a worry wart.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

arosenau
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for everyone's input. We actually found a Hybrid Travel Trailer we really liked and bought it. We really enjoyed the Tent sides of our popup so we were really happy to find a shorter travel trailer with plenty of space with the pop-outs to serve our needs.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tt that is 29' overall. Some of the NW Minnesota parks can be tight. At least the spots that are available by the time I look to book them. But the you also have to consider the tow vehicle. Some sites would be easier to get into if I didn't have a crew cab long (8') box.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Go to an empty parking lot and learn to back up. You should be able to back a trailer anywhere or you shouldn't be pulling one IMHO. What if you got in back of a service station and a big truck was blocking the drive and you had to back out on the right? Remember GOAL Get out and look.

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
30' is ideal...you won't have any problems.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
We have had our 30 footer for almost 13 years and in our travels around the country have never had a single problem finding a campsite to fit into. Have to be careful in some of the parks roads however. Some turns are really tight with trees close to the road, however we still made it around but took some "doing" in a couple of instances.
Barney

What Barney said is more of the issues you will run into with the longer trailer, like navigating around and through a campground and some back roads.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
arosenau wrote:
We are moving up from our popup and want to get a Travel Trailer. We are considering a 30' trailer but i'm a little hesitant that it might be too long in state and county parks. Can anyone comment on this? We would mainly be camping in the midwest, (Minnesota, Dakotas, Wisconsin) I'm not too worried about pulling it down the road, I pull my 24 foot snowmobile trailer just fine, its just getting it in the park and positioned in its spot that worries me.

Thanks for your input.

We moved up to a 35 ft trailer a couple years ago and have not had any problems, and we stay almost exclusively in Calif state campgrounds. 30 footers are very common so if you had any restriction, it would be very slight IMO
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

soren
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
We have had our 30 footer for almost 13 years and in our travels around the country have never had a single problem finding a campsite to fit into. Have to be careful in some of the parks roads however. Some turns are really tight with trees close to the road, however we still made it around but took some "doing" in a couple of instances.
Barney

This is an accurate description of what we have run into with a 34' Motorhome. I have a PA. state park right down the road from my house. The website claimed that there are no spaces large enough to handle anything over 30'. Fact is, MOST sites could handle way more than 30' and often have total driveway lengths of 50-70 ft. The big issue is that it is an old park with a lot of trees waiting to reach out and grab you, as you carefully slithered through the loops.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 32' Coachmen 270FKS TT and seldom have a problem. I recently spent a week in an Ohio State Park and basically used the entire pad with room to spare.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Since we don't know where you are, it's hard to say.
30 feet would only keep you out of a very few sites in Washington. Probably less than 5%.
To that end, we just bought a 34'.

OP stated Minnesota, Dakotas and Wisconsin.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I get a general description of the different site lengths while at the Reserve America web site.