cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater

Hoss897
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I am not new here buy this is the first time asking a question.

I am having a problem with my water heater running on propane. The lines have been purged of air, the battery is fully charged and I am running the trailer on a generator.
When I switch on the Propane burner within about 45 seconds the fault light comes on and the burner does not start. The electric side works fine when I use that. However, if I switch on the Propane and then the electric heater within 10 second the Propane burner kicks on like normal. If I turn the electric off while the Propane is running it shuts off the Propane right away. When I turn the electric back on the Propane lights again. But the Propane will not work at all solo.

Any ideas why this is happening?
8 REPLIES 8

Hoss897
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the help. I finally have had time to start testing everything and the system started working like it should. It must have a bad connection that is now working after bouncing down the road.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the DC Voltage on the RED wire going to ECO WHEN you turn Propane ON.

(be set up READY to measure then have someone turn it on....circuit board only sends voltage to gas valve for 8-10 seconds while sparking. Then shuts down voltage if no main flame proves)

Sounding more like circuit board issue.....could be bad grounding.
Green wire from circuit board to frame at exhaust shield
Green wire from circuit board to wire nut connection at back of WH Tank to DC Neg
Spark electrode assembly mounting screw...ground source for spaker
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through this same thing. In my case the ignitor/sensor was bad. The porcelain was cracked in the center around the probe and the ground probe was a little loose. Replaced and adjusted it a bit forward and it has been working fine.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
Hoss897 wrote:
Just pulled all the connectors and cleaned them. That did not fix the problem

I'm having the same issue. Gas present, no spark. I narrowed it down to the circuit board. I did all the trouble shooting. Being that my unit is only 8 months old, I am taking back to the dealer so they can replace it. I can manually light mine and it will get my water hot but when it's time to start up again, I get the "Red light" aka lock out.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

Hoss897
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled all the connectors and cleaned them. That did not fix the problem

Hoss897
Explorer
Explorer
It is an atwood. Model gc6aa-10e

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like an Atwood combo unit....electric/propane controls combined

Pull RED wire spades off of ECO t-stat terminals.
Then reinstall making sure they are on tight and clean contact.

Also pull lower 6 pin connector off circuit board, clean board edge connector with a pencil eraser and check pins in connector (do same for the 4 pin upper connector)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Could be dirty connections on the circuit board connector.
Make and model of the water heater?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker