cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Westlake Load Range G Tires - good or bad?

La_Gasser
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 Jayco Seismic Wave came with Westlake LRG (14ply) tires. These tires have a Load Index of 129 and Speed Rating of "L", which is rated for 75 mph, however I usually run between 65 & 70 mph max. I have a TST 507 tire monitoring system and always make sure I have 110 psi before heading out. I know these are made in China like most ST tires these days. Are these good or bad tires? I'm hoping to run them 2 or 3 years before replacing them, probably with Salium 637 tires. We put approximately 5,000 miles a year on the trailer. Has anyone had good experience with these tires?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
My XPS RIBS lasted 9 years before I replaced them on my previously owned Cedar Creek Silverback.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Do you really go 6-7 years on your Michelin ribs? I've heard by many that tires are 3-4 years max regardless of brand/quality.

I don't have the Ribs but I ran the 1st set of BFG Commercial LT E on my current 11.2k 5th wheel rv trailer for 7 years/55k miles....and 6 years/50k miles on the 2nd same tire size/brand set. Now the trailer has New Firestone Transforce LT E and expect them to run the usual 6-8 years.
No issues with any of those tires.

Many ST load range C/D/E brands have a 3-5 year recommendation....that doesn't refer to the LT or even the P tires used on trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
lincster wrote:

That is what you do with cheap tires you can get for $100 each.

Spend the money and get good brand name tires and not worry about tires for 6-7 years.

Do you really go 6-7 years on your Michelin ribs? I've heard by many that tires are 3-4 years max regardless of brand/quality. I'm running some Firestones now and have about 2 years on them, keep them covered when stored and properly inflated but will probably replace regardless in 2 more years if I still have it. Just my .02, collateral damage is awful when they blow.

I just went 6 years on my last set. Replaced these due to a blow out of 1.

Set before that was 5.5 years. Replaced these due to sidewall cracking. Never lost one.

I have owned my trailer since 2005 and have only gone through 2 sets of tires, as described above.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
Most failures are due to improper inlfation and/or overloading. If you can fit G load tires then do so. I had some Freestar F-108 tires (OEM) and one blew so I replaced all 7 with a good set of G load tires rated to 87mph.
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:

Spend the money and get good brand name tires and not worry about tires for 6-7 years.

Do you really go 6-7 years on your Michelin ribs? I've heard by many that tires are 3-4 years max regardless of brand/quality. I'm running some Firestones now and have about 2 years on them, keep them covered when stored and properly inflated but will probably replace regardless in 2 more years if I still have it. Just my .02, collateral damage is awful when they blow.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I always figured the Westlakes were pretty much like the blowmax tires also used in the industry.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Run them 2 yrs max and swap out. $800 tires vs $3000 in damage?

2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Run them 2 yrs max and swap out. $800 tires vs $3000 in damage?
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the G load Westlakes are like the usual load C/Dand E Westlakes its a hit and miss (mostly miss) when we look around the net at the different trailering forums (rv and non rv). Not very popular.

I wouldn't form any opinion about any brand tire on a trailer based on one persons experience with one set on one trailer. It takes miles not time to determine a tires reliability. 3500-5000 miles in a 3-5 year span won't do it.

However most all steel ply 16"/17.5" load G tires are targeted for the regional service trailer industry. There are several other brands of load G tires that enjoy a good track record. Maybe the Westlakes will be one of them.

Keep them .......or sell them on CL to some construction guy with a heavy dump trailer or a backhoe trailer. We usually tear tires up on construction worksites rather than wear them out.
Then get the tires that have proven themselves on all types of trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Total opinion here. But I have had great success with Westlakes. I do have G614s on my Vengeance but that's because they had some no name E rated tire to begin with so I felt I had to change. But if it had come with G rated Westlakes, I would have stayed with them until they wore out.

Once you go G rated, it changes things regarding blow outs. G rated tires are overkill for most campers but the way so many E rated tires fail, overkill is becoming more and more normal everyday.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
La Gasser wrote:
My 2017 Jayco Seismic Wave came with Westlake LRG (14ply) tires. These tires have a Load Index of 129 and Speed Rating of "L", which is rated for 75 mph, however I usually run between 65 & 70 mph max. I have a TST 507 tire monitoring system and always make sure I have 110 psi before heading out. I know these are made in China like most ST tires these days. Are these good or bad tires? I'm hoping to run them 2 or 3 years before replacing them, probably with Salium 637 tires. We put approximately 5,000 miles a year on the trailer. Has anyone had good experience with these tires?
Thanks

I have only used Good Year "G" rated tires for 7 years. Have never had a blow out or tire problem. Goodyear tires also have a great warranty.