cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CBD to relieve dog's pain ?

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Slobbermouth is 15 y/o and has arthritis, dysplasia in one hip and a repaired ACL. Tramadol is bitter and it is a real fight to get it down her gullet.

Who has tried CDB (and or CBC) for their dogs?

Thanks
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
12 REPLIES 12

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
These sorts of things are always good to know! Thanks for keeping us updated. Now it makes me wonder if a Vet's prescription is considered viable in a MM dispensary....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE.....Dog is better yet. Been increasing the dosage to 1 TSP, am and pm, via a plastic syringe. You might be seeing this in pet stores one day.

Don't forget this is medical CBD....not recreational THC.
Noel

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE......our Vet referred us to a person who uses CBD with just a tad of THC in a coconut base. 1/8 to 1/4 tsp, 2 x a day. Dog is better..... insofar as more cheerful and happy. Just a tad more limber.
Noel

dturm
Galliprant

Just a minor disclaimer, since I've retired I don't have any personal experience with this drug. Our hospital is prescribing it and one of the Drs is using it on her own animal. So far good results and no ill effects.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

portliz
Explorer
Explorer
Dr. Doug. Did you find the name of the nsaid? Anxious to know?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roadrunner Pharmacy in Phoenix is also a pet compounding pharmacy. That's who we use.

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I just made a batch of pill cubes today. I used pork sirloin chops @.77#, cut it into 3/4 -1" cubes and QUICKLY brown them in a skillet. The insides are still soft. I poke a hole in the cubes, insert the tramadol and give them as a treat or add them to their food. I have a couple hard core anti-pill dogs and this works for me.... Good luck..
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

dturm
There have not been many studies to confirm dose, side effects and efficacy. But this is what I found.

... we have CBD from hemp which is legal to discuss. Product quality can vary. Dose is 0.1-0.2mg/kg bid. If no effect within 14 days, then raise dose in two week Increments to 0.5mg/kg BID. I like Rx Vitamins product, HempRx.
As in all of medicine we can use more studies. Pretty safe stuff. Try it and see if patient response is noted.

Also, there is a new nsaid available for dogs, I don't recall the name but I'll find out. It is as or more effective than carprofen, higher margin of safety, no liver or kidney effects and no monitoring necessary.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
While I don't know about CBD I did give Lassie Carprofen for the last two years of her life. It worked well and I would put it in her food or wrap it in cheese. Her back hips were just wore out. She passed Good Friday, she would have been 16 July 1st.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
some times in life we have to help or loved pets along there way in life .if theres such pain that theres no hope ?its time to help them move on. god bless .

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'll admit that I had to confirm what CBD was - and stumbled onto this:
cannabis for pets
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
If that drug works well but is just difficult to get slobbermouth to take you could try a liquid version.
Diamondback drugs in Arizona is a compounding pharmacy that has apparently offered an oral drop version in the past.
If they have, I would assume others do as well, check for compounding pharmacies in your area.