cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmed: Born Free RV closes its doors

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like after 48 years in the biz it is a sad day for Born Free. I have one and am a big fan. After the founder's passing in 2015 an outside investment co took over which isn't always a good thing. In my opinion, that and the fact that they started selling through dealers after a long history of being only a factory direct, family run company was their downfall. It's hard in today's world to build quality people will pay an extra buck for, and I don't think you can take an already expensive unit and tack on more money so dealers have a margin too. I hope the great staff of this company are able to move on to find other good jobs in the industry.

http://rvdailyreport.com/industry/out-of-cash-born-free-shuts-its-doors/
5 REPLIES 5

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a more recent article dated June 15 about Born Free closing. The future is still uncertain.

http://humboldtnews.com/articles/2017/06/15/uncertain-future-born-free-motorcoach
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
That story is a month old. It's still unknown what the future holds. I have attended some of the factory rallies and have met many of the workers. They are a great bunch of people and it will be a shame if it remains closed.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
had a 2001 BF real nice rv you could tell there was quality built in. hope the crew does well.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:
...I hope the great staff of this company are able to move on to find other good jobs in the industry...

I agree with all you said, about Born Free, the "Industry" (and I hate to even say that about the RV Business) and above all the good people who built one of the few outstanding examples of quality in an RV.

Sorry to hear this news, but glad you shared it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB