Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 590  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Weird coincidence. Got an email from Amazon today trying to entice me to buy a box of 1000 Kreg screws. Have not done any searches anywhere for Kreg screws. Just mentioned them in a post here a couple days ago. Big Brother?

If you build all your cabinetry with the Kreg system, you could very well end up using the 1700 screws to hit your "break even" point. Every rail in your face frames will use 4 screws, every drawer will use at least 12. You will easily use 30 to build the boxes and attach the face frames. It all adds up quickly. Personally, I like to attach face frames with glue and biscuits, but I haven't built any cabinetry for the MH yet. Think I would add some screws fo additional strength.

Have you looked into the tapered plugs Kreg sells to fill the holes after the screws are inserted? I used them on an entertainment center I built for the family room. and they did an excellent job of hiding the fasteners. I suppose you could try to find a dowel of the proper diameter to fill the hole, but the Kreg plugs come in various species of wood and there was no nearby place to source oak dowel at the time.

Big Brother? Maybe cookies from your web browser. ?

Time will tell whether I use the 1700 screws finishing the build. Either way, I figure they will get used and I'll be ahead of the game at some point.

As far as biscuits go, I don't use them. I saw a a couple of tests a while back where someone used them to edge join boards to make a wider board, and compared that to just edge joining them with glue only.

The edge joining without the biscuits took much more pressure to break the joint than when using biscuits. I would have never guessed that.

I would think using the kreg jig to fasten the face frames to the cabinet sides would be stronger than biscuits, but I haven't tested that, nor have I seen any tests like that.

As far as tapered plugs go, I have seen them, but have not seriously considered buying them yet. Don't know if I will or not at this point in time.

I suppose it could happen.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did get to put in a little time today, and added another coat of fiberglass to the wheel well. I didn't do the sides today, just the main part of the rounded section of the well.

That is starting to look a little better there. That's the third coat now. I'll get the sides tomorrow.

[image]

dennis1

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe

My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I needed to get out my board stretcher today. Say what? Hey, every good woodworker has a board stretcher. I didn't say I was a good woodworker. but I know how to stretch a board. Well, in this case it was plywood.

Remember this?

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are the dimensions. I had some 24" wide plywood, and I wasn't going to buy another 4 x 8 sheet just to cover the tops of these, so I needed to add another 2 inches to the width. I had plenty of length.

[image]

Enter the board stretcher.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to do this on the table saw. No particular reason, as I could have just as easily done this with the router.

First step is to setup the saw on a test piece of plywood, so I can get an accurate setting to cut out what I need to join the 2 pieces together.

This will setup the depth of cut. I cut a 4" wide section, and then removed a 2" wide area on both pieces of plywood, so I can glue them together to "extend" the plywood.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also needed to make a cut the other direction to remove the small piece, so I can glue them together.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apply plenty of glue, a couple of clamps, and a bunch of temporary screws, and leave that set until tomorrow, waiting for the glue to dry.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let 'er set overnight and tomorrow I can trim this to exact width and length in preparation to close off the top of the wheel well.

[image]

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to many big brother moments,after disconnecting my Alexa they stopped [emoticon]

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 590  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.