Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 593  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at this pic, removing 1' of counter, would give me extra space to possibly put a small heating device of some sort there, which would be kind of centrally located, to heat the entire coach.

The line between the 2 pieces of plywood on the floor towards the right side of the pic, is 8' from the front, so, the distance from the front to the wheel well, would be 10 ft.

That looks like it would be a better deal overall, by losing 1 ft of counter space, but gaining some extra floor space.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/19 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Updating of the spreadsheet shall occur tonight.

A piece of 1/2 inch plywood cost me $49.85. Adding that to our prior total of $8549.13 and our new grand total is ... (drum roll)...
$8598.98.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I built a platform today and proceeded to put the original toilet on top of said platform to see how things would look.

I wanted to make sure I had enough of room to get in there, turn around, and take care of any business that needed to be taken care of.

So far, so good.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/19 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some days, in spite of your best efforts to plan things ahead of time, during the middle of said efforts, you can suddenly look at things differently, even though you thought you knew what you were doing.

Confused? Me too. Lol.

Left turn Clyde......

After shuffling things around a bit, and standing inside the toilet area, it occurred to me, that if I move the one wall about 6 inches, we could share the toilet area with the shower area, and have plenty of room for both.

That would eliminate having to lift up the kitchen counter, and allow me to move the kitchen sink to the left a bit, which would give us more usable, uninterrupted counter space.

The original bath/shower area was about 24 x 36. The back third of the shower area, was a seat, so that was of no value for taking shower.

After talking to the wife a little bit, yes, she is okay with that, I think that is what I am going to do.

Here's a pic of where the wall would be, after moving it. It allows for what feels like a lot of extra room in the shower area, while taking little area out of the kitchen.

We can cover the toilet with a piece of plastic during showers, and/or use a shower curtain to keep the walls dry, or not. We'll have to play with it a little.

[image]

Unless, something changes my mind, I think I'll be making the change.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I start tearing this 2 x 3 out, I want to know if anyone has any good ideas on removing the construction adhesive between the 2 x 3 and the 1/8 inch thick plywood?

Obviously, the plywood isn't going to take much abuse, but the 2 x 3 will.

From searching on the web, recommendations were to use heat, with either a heat gun or hair dryer.

Anyone else have a better suggestion that won't tear up the wall, so I can move the wall another 6 inches?

[image]

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe an ol hand saw from top to bottom on that 2x3. Then a belt sander to clean the wall. But then I an old mechanic with greasy tools. What do I know about wood butchering?

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An oscillating saw will do this just fine. It will take a while and require some sanding of the wall plywood afterwards.

Something like this Fein, or one of the cheaper knockoffs:
https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/po........-supercut-oscillating-tool-review/38494/

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Richard has a pretty good idea. Cut away as much of the 2x3 as you can then sand down the rest. I know of a solvent that would dissolve cured Liquid Nails, but you would need a hazmat suit and a respirator, especially in that enclosed space. Would probably delaminate the plywood as well.

Are you planning on doing anything to waterproof the walls? Like laminating some type of plastic to the wall? That could hide any damage done to the plywood. Or maybe just leave a portion of the 2x3 there as a "feature" and somehow incorporate it into the soap and shampoo holder shelf. At least the 2x3 runs all the way from the ceiling to the floor so there won't be any gaps.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe had a very good idea of how to remove the 2bys. Try the cutter blade ad the saw blade to see which one does a better job. Spray silicone on the blades to keep the glue from gumming things up so much. In this case cardboard is your best friend. If it is not bit enough, it can be glued or stapled together to make it big enough to use. You can fold an edge over and staple it to the wall, that would be easier to work with until you really decide on a layout.

Wildmanbaker

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful about leaving the toilet sitting around without being hooked up.

BIL was redoing a bathroom and had the new toilet sitting in the living room. His daughter, now 40, was just starting toilet training. Went to the new toilet in the living room, did her thing, and proudly came and told daddy that she went potty all by her self. They found out later which toilet she used.

Interesting project that you have taken on. Looking good.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 593  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.