Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 590  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the piece of plywood and 2 x 3 that will be mounted on this wall. The top of it will be about the 36" mark.

There is a piece of plywood screwed to the frame of the coach at the 28 - 31" height, so i cut the plywood at 8 inches. This will be both screwed and glued to the plywood wall to help support the weight from above.

I needed to wait until the adhesive cures on the bath wall, so I can remove the braces, and then I'll have room for the plywood and 2 x 3.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

Then we add the plywood, after cutting the top to roughly match the ceiling.

Attach some 1.5 x 1.5 inch wood with a couple of screws to hold the plywood in place until the adhesive cures.

I clamped the left side to hold it in place.

Remember what I said about not being able to have too many clamps? Ah, yea. Used just about all the plastic clamps I had.

[image]

I too am a big fan of construction adhesive, but have you ever considered using staples as well? I'm also a big fan of those too. If nothing else it's a great excuse for another trip to Harbor Freight for more toys, err tools - I mean tools.

BTW small staples done right will be close to impossible to see, and what you might see is easy to cover with a stick of wood fixer. I did this when I was doing over the TT, it worked well.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

Next step is to get ready to add some plywood to the bathroom wall, on the kitchen side.

First is to add a brace/framing in between the 2 x 3's close to the 36" mark, height wise.

[image]

Its recommended to insulate the thunderroom walls with some sound deadening material and provide a ventilation system.

Spare those in the living and kitchen areas of having to flee outside during nature's calls.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Its recommended to insulate the thunderroom walls with some sound deadening material and provide a ventilation system.

Spare those in the living and kitchen areas of having to flee outside during nature's calls.

Excellent point. Not only for sound deadening but for heat retention while taking a shower. When I redid the shower in the master bedroom in the S&B, I insulated all the walls around the shower to kill the sound, but found that it holds the heat in the shower better and makes for a more comfortable shower as long as you like them warm or hot. The one in my MH is one of those corner showers, but it is insulated in the 2 walls that are not glass. In the floor as well.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

Then we add the plywood, after cutting the top to roughly match the ceiling.

Attach some 1.5 x 1.5 inch wood with a couple of screws to hold the plywood in place until the adhesive cures.

I clamped the left side to hold it in place.

Remember what I said about not being able to have too many clamps? Ah, yea. Used just about all the plastic clamps I had.

I too am a big fan of construction adhesive, but have you ever considered using staples as well? I'm also a big fan of those too. If nothing else it's a great excuse for another trip to Harbor Freight for more toys, err tools - I mean tools.

BTW small staples done right will be close to impossible to see, and what you might see is easy to cover with a stick of wood fixer. I did this when I was doing over the TT, it worked well.

I wanted to make sure the entire length of construction adhesive was tightly secured against the 2 x 3, so I used a couple of slightly bowed pieces of wood, using 2 screws, one on each end, which would secure the entire section, with only 2 small holes.

If the nails or staples are near the edge, trim will easily cover them.

Tools, tools, and more tools! I like it! Lol.

So, I have 2 pieces in my arsenal, without going to Harbor Freight.

First is this ... air nailer which will shoot finishing nails up to 2 inches long.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second is this.... a stapler, which will shoot 1/4" crown staples up to 1.5 inches long.

[image]

Yes, both of them are from Harbor Freight from a number of years ago.

But I don't have any holes to run the air hose into the coach! LOL!

Yea, I know, open a window just a touch.

I figured after I have the adhesive cured, I can always add nails or staples as I wish. Not sure they would be needed, but a little extra security can't hurt.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

Next step is to get ready to add some plywood to the bathroom wall, on the kitchen side.

First is to add a brace/framing in between the 2 x 3's close to the 36" mark, height wise.

Sound deadening? You mean I can't add a sound only baby monitor inside the thunder room, with the master device in the Living Room? Lol...

I figured if I mixed the air with all the air in the coach, it should dilute the air enough to minimize the effects down to almost nothing! Lol.

Oh, by the way, if you believe that, I also have some beachfront property in Kansas for sale, as well.

Yes, I will be venting that room to the outside, just for peace in the household.

Don't know yet if I will insulate between the shower and the kitchen. Hadn't thought about it. Guess I will have to give it some consideration. Thanks.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son and daughter in law took us out to eat today for my wife's birthday, so my time was really limited to work.

This pic is the bottom of the kitchen counter. The 1/2 inch plywood is glued and screwed to the wall, and the 2 x 3 is glued and screwed to the 1/2" plywood. It's just not going anywhere. I sure hope I don't have to take it off.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

Excellent point. Not only for sound deadening but for heat retention while taking a shower. When I redid the shower in the master bedroom in the S&B, I insulated all the walls around the shower to kill the sound, but found that it holds the heat in the shower better and makes for a more comfortable shower as long as you like them warm or hot. The one in my MH is one of those corner showers, but it is insulated in the 2 walls that are not glass. In the floor as well.

Thanks.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also added some 1/2 inch plywood to form the basis for the counter top. This is also glued and screwed together.

I have a temporary brace in the near corner, waiting until I get some additional framing in there to hold up the corner.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 590  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.