Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 658  
Prev  |  Next
mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 1994 Pace Arrow on a P30
It was the biggest POS lol
I did everything to that chassis and still changed lanes all by itself.
The P30 chassis was never meant to be a rv chassis it was a potato chip delivery truck,
The air bags were added as bandaids to beef up the front end.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

When we first bought the motor home, I was dumber than a box of rocks, concerning all things "motor home" wise. Lol.

I am not sure that has changed much. You are a master carpenter and the King of "fix it" but calling this a "rebuild" is far from what's happening here. Yes, there will still be the same number of tires on the ground and the same basic chassis, but nothing, and I am not kidding when I say nothing, about this rebuild will have anything what-so-ever to do with a rebuild of an 83 Pace Arrow.
I am still addicted to this thread but only because it gets farther and farther from what us commoners know as a motorhome. I often show my wife the photo from the post that lists progress and she just shakes her head and asks if this person really has a wife! Shelves along the entire back wall but nowhere to put a cooktop or sink? Are these going to butt up against the shelves? Where's that fridge going again?
Don't get me wrong, I have learned stuff about stuff I will never have any use for over the course of these last 1 million or so posts, but I still hang in there. I feel like I should know a lot more about the daughter that keeps stealing Dad's time away from the forum but I do know too much about PT Cruisers, stains and planers than most anyone should have to learn from somewhere like here.
You really cannot take this thread seriously as the vehicle being built is not like anything anyone else would want to duplicate. Just look at the shelving setup! What? How does that kind of shelving on both sides of the cooking and prep areas allow for real life usage? Shelving on the wall behind the cook top? Behind the sink? (Hopefully he does have a plan for a sink). No roof penetrations? A/C hanging off the side of the coach? The window in the back that's not sentimental? Rounded here, flat there and some cosmetic thing to make it look "not so terribly bad"?
It weird that this thread still fascinates me. What fascinates me is where it started and where it's headed. I don't believe that even fulltimer would have seen the course that this "rebuild" (again, not a rebuild has taken. He/she has kept this tread interesting and I love the new posts (unless they are about the PT Cruiser, the daughter, the lack of new information or the random LOL post). I know he/she believes that he/she "must" post everyday to keep himself/herself activately engaged but I don't see where any harm would be done my simply not posting anything on a day where there was nothing to post.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pay attention it’s his niece not his daughter. [emoticon]

Brob

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to say I've picked up some tips along the way through his materials testing. I totally agree with his wanting to just do it right when he's gotten that far tearing it out. Being 6'4" I seriously considered raising the roof on my 36' Class A. I ended up not doing so, but did run a ridge line of foam above the roof frame for the exact reason of avoiding the flat roof. I have been adding an additional layer of insulation on the walls and ceiling which has made a noticeable improvement in the climate control.

Personally I have enjoyed the occasional jaunt through daily life, and learning more about the person who is doing the work. We all have life that distracts us from our pet projects; that doesn't keep us from thinking about the next steps.

I really appreciate how far he is taking this project. While it isn't a rebuild thread, it is a renovation with the craftsman making it his own. Obviously this is a labor of love and not something he's looking to flip for a profit. I get that he is building this the way he thinks it should be, learning from the mistakes of the profit-driven factory.

Personally I am very interested to see how it turns out with the mini-split HVAC. I have installed several, and they are MUCH more efficient than any rooftop unit. They're almost silent, and so efficient that you can certainly run it off an inverter with enough capacity. I've considered replacing the rooftop A/Cs on my rig with a ductless mini-split. They're heat-pumps as well so you could do away with the need for a furnace with the added insulation.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only issue is we're almost at the 3 year mark on this rebuild and it looks like it'll be another 3 years or so before it ever hits the highway - if it ever does.

That's ok too I guess. I also enjoy doing a good project, I just wouldn't enjoy dragging it out so long.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Oops! My bad.

fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brob wrote:

I have to say I've picked up some tips along the way through his materials testing. I totally agree with his wanting to just do it right when he's gotten that far tearing it out. Being 6'4" I seriously considered raising the roof on my 36' Class A. I ended up not doing so, but did run a ridge line of foam above the roof frame for the exact reason of avoiding the flat roof. I have been adding an additional layer of insulation on the walls and ceiling which has made a noticeable improvement in the climate control.

Personally I have enjoyed the occasional jaunt through daily life, and learning more about the person who is doing the work. We all have life that distracts us from our pet projects; that doesn't keep us from thinking about the next steps.

I really appreciate how far he is taking this project. While it isn't a rebuild thread, it is a renovation with the craftsman making it his own. Obviously this is a labor of love and not something he's looking to flip for a profit. I get that he is building this the way he thinks it should be, learning from the mistakes of the profit-driven factory.

Personally I am very interested to see how it turns out with the mini-split HVAC. I have installed several, and they are MUCH more efficient than any rooftop unit. They're almost silent, and so efficient that you can certainly run it off an inverter with enough capacity. I've considered replacing the rooftop A/Cs on my rig with a ductless mini-split. They're heat-pumps as well so you could do away with the need for a furnace with the added insulation.

Thanks for the post. Glad you are enjoying it, whether good, bad, or ugly.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

My only issue is we're almost at the 3 year mark on this rebuild and it looks like it'll be another 3 years or so before it ever hits the highway - if it ever does.

That's ok too I guess. I also enjoy doing a good project, I just wouldn't enjoy dragging it out so long.

I'll be done in 2 weeks. Oh, I also have some ocean front property for sale in Kansas......

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 examples.

1. Restore = If someone buys an antique car that is in rough shape, possibly rust holes, missing parts, not running, etc.

That car will be restored to it's original condition. Just like it was when it left the factory.

2. Rebuild = If someone's house is destroyed, whether it be by fire, flood, or tornado, and the only thing left is the foundation, perhaps on a concrete slab, they may want to rebuild the house, on the original foundation.

There is no expectation that the house will be rebuilt to look exactly like it did when it was originally built. The floor plan may not be the same, kitchen cabinets different, different flooring, even the bath and bedrooms may be laid out differently, and the wall coverings will almost certainly, be totally different.

Restore vs rebuild. There is a difference.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 658  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.