Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 658  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never liked using just a standard butt joint, with or without screws, so even though this has very little depth of dado, it still adds some mechanical advantage, in addition to the glue, and the Kreg screws.

Between the 3, the joints should last for a long time.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the end of the day, I ended up with these. Wahoo!

[image]

[image]

These shelves are not permanently attached yet. I only have one screw holding these shelves in place, while the glue sets up.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, no update tonight. Ugh! Tomorrow is another day.

Brob

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a plan on when you may have the opportunity to permanently install the TPO roof?

Any more thoughts on using it for the siding?

Old Islander

British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing I'd worry about with TPO on the sides is gravity. On the roof, gravity is continuously working for you. On the sides, it is working against you 24/7/352. On the roof or on the sides, there will be occasional 60+ MPH headwinds, when driving. You would have to have a good deal of faith in the glue on the sides, never to fail during the life of the application. For that reason, I might be inclined to favour something with fasteners.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brob wrote:

Do you have a plan on when you may have the opportunity to permanently install the TPO roof?

Any more thoughts on using it for the siding?

Sorry, I didn't see your post last night. I went to bed early.

As far as gluing it down, I need to figure out how to get up to the correct height, so I can apply the glue, and still be able to manipulate the TPO without putting air bubbles in it. My truck bed is about 3' off the ground, but I still need some additional height, and trying to use a ladder just isn't going to cut it.

Some scaffolding would probably be a great addition, but I'll need it to be 20 feet long, (truck bed is 16'), and I suppose work from one side, and then the other.

I still need to purchase the glue for the TPO.

As far as the walls go, I haven't finalized anything. I am not looking forward to spend 600-700 bucks for a single piece of fiberglass to do one side.

That's one good reason that, if the TPO would work, it would be a nice inexpensive way of covering the walls.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Islander wrote:

The thing I'd worry about with TPO on the sides is gravity. On the roof, gravity is continuously working for you. On the sides, it is working against you 24/7/352. On the roof or on the sides, there will be occasional 60+ MPH headwinds, when driving. You would have to have a good deal of faith in the glue on the sides, never to fail during the life of the application. For that reason, I might be inclined to favour something with fasteners.

352[emoticon]

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old Islander wrote:

You have a point about gravity. The fiberglass that was on originally, was just glued to the plywood. With that said, the holes in the sides, (windows, doors, openings for water fill, ets), also helped to keep the siding from falling off.

I do have the angle steel up top, that could probably be used to help secure the TPO at the top, as well as the windows in the living room.

Maybe I'll have to investigate the glue a little further.

Thanks for the idea.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Old Islander wrote:

352[emoticon]

Who makes that? Assuming it's a form of adhesive of some sort.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the beginning of the black walnut facings for covering the plywood edges of the shelves.

They will look much better once I get them on and some finish applied to them..

I asked the wife if she wanted 2 "bins", or 3 "bins" wide, and she opted for 3.

Obviously, I don't have all of them cut yet, but that is next.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 658  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.