Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 681  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know, as rv'ers, we deal with the gray and black water tanks and their contents, from time to time, and hopefully all goes well during the dumping of the tanks.

Should something goes "haywire" during the process, it can make for some interesting amusement, at a much later time, after the trauma has worn off, and it becomes "funny".

When I was driving the rollback hauling cars and people around, that had broken down, (yes, the car, not the person broke down), I used to tell them, "Someday, you will look back on this experience, and laugh. Today is not that day".

Such was my experience today.

After an early start this morning, my wife took her early morning shower, at the end of which, she not so calmly informed me, that she was hearing water running in the basement. She also informed me, that there is not supposed to be water running in the basement. (like I didn't know that).

Walking down a flight of steps, I discovered there was no water running in the basement. However, there HAD been water running into the basement, which was obviously, not a good thing.

Standing there looking at the mess before me, I discovered that what was on the floor, was not as I had thought, fresh water. No sir. This had the unmistakable air of being gray or black water.

As you know, gray water can smell as badly, or worse, than black water. As I am looking for "lumps", and fortunately, finding none, I discovered that the end of my wife's shower, was now on the basement floor!

[email protected] Well, not actually [email protected] It was gray water.

Now if you think, trying to unclog a black or gray water pipe on an rv is a real bear, it turns out, that trying to find and unclog about 30 feet of 4" diameter pipe, for a house is a real "Bear".

Since I am not a professional plumber, I do not have a "wire snake", that they use, which is 50 feet long, and can stretch from the house all the way to the septic tank.

I spend part of my day using a much shorter version of the wire snake, pushing, shoving, rotating said snake, to no avail. Then I started on the opposite end and started trying to unclog things from the outside in, instead of the inside, out.

Fortunately, I finally found the obstruction, and "wire snaked" the [email protected] out of it, (pun intended), and water started flowing freely again, like it should have.

So, we are back in "business", (pun intended, again), and can now flush freely, again. Life is good.

Hope your day was a little less eventful than mine was. Just for the record .... after all that excitement in 89 degree, full sunshine weather, with a real feel of 100 degrees .... NO, I never made it to the motor home to work.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

BigRabbitMan

Cottage Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/23/20 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As to the stove, that is a drop in that doesn’t need side shielding. Because the actual burners generate heat at or above the counter no side shielding is needed.

BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigRabbitMan wrote:

As to the stove, that is a drop in that doesn’t need side shielding. Because the actual burners generate heat at or above the counter no side shielding is needed.

The black pieces that the pots sit on are above the white porcelain. We usually don't cook anything on high heat, so it should not be a problem. However, raising the entire drop in cook top by about 1/2" or so, would give more space between the pot and the black walnut, especially if we are using a large pot that overhangs the stove.

I'll have another look at it just to make sure I am comfortable with it.

Thanks.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think there would be more concern with what the black walnut is treated with than the walnut itself. Some finishes will off gas and are very flammable.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

I would think there would be more concern with what the black walnut is treated with than the walnut itself. Some finishes will off gas and are very flammable.

I would think it would be a little tough to light up a counter top just from off gassing.

Then again, I suppose stranger things have happened. I've used a lot of Lacquer over the years, and fortunately never had a problem, and never want to.

Some of the inside will get Lacquer, but it probably won't be all at once.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another shot of some black walnut that has 2 different finishes on it. This just has more coats than it did last time I posted it.

The top half has been coated with Lacquer, and the lower portion has Por 15, Clear, on it.

The bottom part was darker to start with, and you can see that on the upper portion towards the right. This is actually the same board, with a section in the center about 2" with no coating.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Q and A time, folks.

The wife threw a monkey wrench into my plans today. She suggested possibly, putting both the sink and the stove top on the same side. This would be on the drivers side, with the sink on the left, closest to the shower wall, to help shorten the plumbing runs.

That would allow the other side completely clear, which would amount to just a touch over 6 feet of free counter space, instead of 42 inches free on each side.

Give me some pro's and con's of doing it either way. Some one probably has thought of something we haven't.

Sink indicated on the left by a piece of plywood.

[image]

[image]

What do you think?

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, when I cook I like to have room next to the stove for ingredients, utensils etc. and I would think you would want room next to the sink for dish drain rack etc.

I don’t know if this applies to you and your wife, but what if you were cooking something and she was using the sink at the same time? Would you be bumping into each other with either setup?

No right or wrong answer, just what works for you two, but when in doubt, keep SWMBO happy. [emoticon]

Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just thought of this as well; how will cutting two holes, and having the weight of a sink full of water, and the stove with pans etc. affect the counter? Might have to do a little more support underneath?

Are there going to be cabinets underneath?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's what I mentioned in an earlier post. That's how our RV is setup but, of course, there is a back splash behind and not cabinets or shelves. I can't imagine how your current setup would work. We also have a longer counter to work with, a narrow 2 burner gas cooktop and no counter on the other side providing better work space. On the opposite side we have a 2 seat bar setup against the wall for dining (big window with a nice view) and the fridge. Small work triangle and plenty of space for prep. You don't need a dish rack for drying. Clean as you go and then the after dinner dishes for 2 people is easy enough to wash and dry right out of the sink or set on a dish towel beside the sink.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 681  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.