Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 692  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a couple of pics of yesterday's work. I decided to add another layer of plywood to the roof.

I am using 1/8" ply as it bends much better than the 1/4" thick stuff.

Also, I am using the Great Stuff Pro adhesive to secure this layer to the layer beneath it. Talk about "sticky" stuff. Wow!

I managed to get some on my fingers, and didn't get it cleaned off right away, and later, could not remove it. It will be worn off in a couple more days. Lol.

Anyway, here is the beginning of putting the first piece in place.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding a second piece of plywood on the passenger side.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, tonight it is time to strap up!

[image]

I mean really strap up! Lol.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strapping up really helps to bend the plywood around the corner and hold it reasonably in place, to glue it into place.

Speaking of adhesive..........

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When in full bloom with clamps, weights and straps.....

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a couple of pics of all the stuff I had to haul up and down on the roof to help secure it all in place.

[image]

[image]

Yea, what a mess! Lol.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting closer to having the plywood on the roof that I want.

[image]

Here's the pic from the opposite direction.

[image]

You will notice there is a stripe down the middle which has no second layer of plywood. Since the roof is just a little over 8' wide because of the curves, 2 pieces that are 4 feet wide will not reach.

I will be adding a narrow strip down the center to fill that in.

Then I will add another 4 foot wide piece down the center of the roof to tie all of these together and cover up a lot of the seams, before I add the TPO on top.

Unfortunately, it is raining now, and is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'll probably not be able to work on the roof tomorrow.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, as expected it rained all day today. One of those days where you just want to curl up on the sofa and read a good book, (Kindle)? Maybe a laptop, cell phone, tablet? You know, whatever makes your day.

That's what we did. I never even got outside the house today. Neither my wife nor I did. We just kicked back and took it easy.

Anyhow, tomorrow, the rain is supposed to be done by early in the morning, so hopefully, I can get out there and glue some more plywood to the roof.

That brings me to updating the spreadsheet again.

I bought 10 sheets of 1/8" x 4 x 8 plywood, actually labeled as 2.7 mm from the Home Depot. They were $10.98 each, so including tax we ended up spending $116.39.

I also purchased a case of 12, Great Stuff Pro Construction Adhesive. Those are the cans that require using the Pro Gun to dispense it.

I bought that from Amazon. Individually, they were about $20 a can, plus tax. I figured somewhere along the way I'll probably use all or most, of this, so I opted for a cheaper per can rate. By the case, they were $13.67 a can including tax. Individually, 12 of them would have cost me over $250. Total for the 12 was $164.08.

Ok, spreadsheet. Former total was $10,577.46. Adding $116.39 to the $164.08 = $280.47. Adding them up, we have $10,857.93.

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I am following and reading this correctly, you have three layers of plywood plus the
rubber roofing. At what point does the weight on the roof becomes a consideration? (Besides
the RV tipping over). ??

All kidding aside, it does seem as if there is an exceptional amount of weight up there.
Keep up the good work. I enjoy what you have done and am looking forward to seeing the
end results.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As expected today it rained this morning, through noon time. What I didn't expect was for it to last even later through some of the afternoon.

As a result, I got out later than I was expecting, but I did add some plywood in the center of the roof today to level thing out.

This first pic is from the front towards the rear, with my "weights' on top of the pieces in the center.

The piece at the rear has already been glued in place when this picture was taken.

I still have about 9 feet of plywood to add in the center, and then I'll be ready to add a section of 4' wide plywood in the center to kind of tie everything together.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 692  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.