Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 738  
Prev  |  Next
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

Last picture of my new coach unless anyone is interested in more. These should most likely be sent by PM as they are WAY off topic.
Here's the promised shot with the new updated LED headlights moved from our old coach to our new.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Thanks for all the pics. Very nice coach. You can be proud of that one.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally, an update. Been a rough couple of weeks. Should have more regular updates now, I hope.

Anyhow, first off, hanging on to a few of your old empty lacquer cans for other uses is a good thing.

They be cleaned out and used for storing screws, nails, bolts, nuts, and all other kind of useful, (or useless), items around the shop.

In this case, I cut the top off of one of them, and used it to dip adhesive out of a 5 gallon bucket, to glue more of the roofing TPO down.

Works quite well, and the price was right.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple of pics here after gluing the passenger side of the TPO down.

[image]

[image]

I must admit, that this was a real bear to get into place. Finishing the gluing on the top side was a breeze.

Gluing the outside edge, was also fairly easy.

The big bear in the woods, was trying to push the TPO upwards in inward to get it to stick to the underside of the angle leg of the steel.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the drawing of where I glued the TPO down, and where I did not glue it yet.

The Magenta color arrows point to where the glue is.

The Black arrow shows that the vertical surface is not yet glued.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real bear was trying to apply pressure in 2 directions at once. The Black arrows show trying to apply pressure both upwards and inwards, all while keeping the TPO against the outer edge, and not wrinkling the underside.

Trying to bend the TPO around the outer edge, and the inner angle at the same time was a real trip.

The tips of my fingers are still a little tender from applying pressure to the TPO.

I'll have to see if I can come up with a better system for the other side. This worked, but, there has to be a better way to stick this up there.

[image]

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How bout ripping a 2x4 lengthwise to the angle of the overhang and supporting it to the scaffold with a couple 2x4s till the glue sets?

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 09:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zigzagrv wrote:

How bout ripping a 2x4 lengthwise to the angle of the overhang and supporting it to the scaffold with a couple 2x4s till the glue sets?

I thought about trying to apply pressure from the underside, but wasn't exactly sure how I wanted to do it.

I have 2 drawings to indicate what happens when pressure is applied and where it is applied.

The adhesive I used is specifically for the TPO When applied to both surfaces, it is supposed to sit for a few minutes to "flash off" a little before mating the 2 surfaces. When doing that, once mated, they are instantly stuck.

Apply a little pressure, and it is done.

Thanks for the post.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/20 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first drawing is showing the TPO stuck to the top of the roof, and to the vertical edge of the roof.

If I apply pressure at a lower part of the TPO handing down, (red arrow), what tends to happen is shown on the right.

There winds up being an air gap towards the bottom edge, which can't be removed. Fortunately, I don't have any of them.

[image]

In this drawing, what is shown, is to apply pressure towards the top of the loose TPO, so that the very edge gets folded first, and the edge adheres before the rest of the TPO is mated underneath.

That is shown on the right side of this pic.

[image]

If this was a thin TPO, it would be much easier to bend around the corner, but since it is .060, and fiberglass reinforced, it doesn't bend very easily.

I did do this when the sun was out, and had warmed up the TPO, and that helped a lot. I don't think I could have done it if it was cold.

I suppose I should have some type of U shaped device, to force the TPO up against the bottom, from the outside in.

I am not sure yet, I guess I'll have to play around with a couple of test pieces before doing the other side.

I must say, I didn't see this one coming.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this a good sign?

[image]

I was up on the scaffolding today to work on the drivers side roof, and shortly after getting up there, I dropped my utility knife.

When I went down to retrieve it, there it was, blade stuck in the ground at about a 45 degree angle. Lol.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/20 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to use a little mechanical advantage today while working on the drivers side roofing.

Instead of jamming my fingers up there, I used a couple of pieces of plywood that would give me some leverage.

[image]

As you can see, the plywood gap is just a little wider than the thickness of the roof.

That allowed me to push the roofing in and up, and then squeeze the whole thing together to set the adhesive.

It actually worked fairly well, although it gave me a good workout.

I was still better than just using only my fingers.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 738  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.